rust on a 6 month old Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered rust on my 6 month old Nissan. no, this was not a stone chip or scratch gone awry... it started behind the "chrome" trunk strip; although apparently it is common to start behind the "chrome" Nissan emblem - and the problem involves many models. apparently the back side of the "chrome" pieces is not smooth and wears through the paint. my dealer was no stranger to the problem. I am NOT happy about having my trunk repainted- while it might match today, eventually it likely will not match.

I am in the same situation with my new 2015 Altima in my signature. The dealer is taking it in on June 8th to repaint the whole trunk lid and replace all of the emblems and chrome strip.

The service manager said that they're doing 4 cars a week and Nissan is aware of the issue. He didn't say if all the cars were all Altima's or just 4 Nissan's in general.

Yeah, on my car, it's the chrome strip on the trunk that's digging into the paint on the trunk causing the rust to form in the first place. I hope that they trim down the part that's sticking into the paint on the new chrome strip.

The Service Mgr also said that they're ordering all new emblems for the trunk lid as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
That's terrible. I can't believe the issues you guys have with rust!

And that's coming from a Mazda owner!
smile.gif

Definitely take the car in, sounds like Nissan will take care of you.

Well, the rust is coming from the fact(in my particular instance) that the chrome trim plate over the rear license plate, has a sharp edge that, when mounted in(with screws or adhesive), dug into the paint on the trunk. There is a gasket the is under the chrome trim that has shifted during the assembly and needs to be addressed.

And yes, Nissan is taking care of the situation under the warranty! I just hope the body shop guys do a wonderful job! I'm sure the paint will match!

Last edited:
You have my sympathy, a car should not rust at all except in the hands of a careless owner.

Makes you wonder how necessary the shiny stick on bits of plastic really are - a gaudy, tacky ostentatious display of bad taste that damages paint and causes rust?! Wha ever was wrong with base&clear on well prepped metal?

Oh my goodness. Sorry for your issue, and imo no excuse for this situation and I'd be very unhappy too. Honestly though considering my experience with Nissan, can't say I'm surprised. And though many put little faith in CR reliability ratings, seems as though they are right on target when it comes to Nissan.

I do genuinely wish both bitog Nissan owners commenting here the best of luck with the paint respray match and it's longevity.

As for Nissan, the hits just keep on comin.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You have my sympathy, a car should not rust at all except in the hands of a careless owner.

Makes you wonder how necessary the shiny stick on bits of plastic really are - a gaudy, tacky ostentatious display of bad taste that damages paint and causes rust?! Wha ever was wrong with base&clear on well prepped metal?

You live in country that likely has no road salt used in winter......Cars do rust.

Thats going to the be the least of your problems with a "new" made in Mexico Nissan... I've had two and will NEVER buy again. total junk cars made cheap with horrible quallity. Fool me once...

It does not matter how well you take care of your car, in Minnesota its when it rusts, not if. Even if the body is good subframes are a catchall and will rot

I am sorry for your issue, at least they are making it right

That might be the most ridiculous thing EVER posted on the internet!

I had the same issue on trunk lid of my 2013 Maxima. Dealer touched up the spot.

I did my own removal of the chrome trim and sanded down the rough edges of the plastic chrome piece, put a couple of strips of special 3m tape on the painted metal under the chrome piece to give a bit of a gap when the piece was bolted back down.

No issues 1 year later, but Nissan should be tarring and feathering their plastic trim piece supplier for leaving such raw and rough edges on the back surface of these chrome bits.

Last edited:
Chevy had the same issues with the horizontal chrome strip on the trunks of Impalas. My mother has a white 2006 LTZ and it has two rust streaks down the trunk lid where the paint was worn through and it rusted. Nearly every Impala I see here has some degree of the same issue with rust poking out from behind that chrome strip.

Luckily for you, Nissan is admitting and fixing the problem. Not so for those Chevy owners.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

And that's coming from a Mazda owner!
smile.gif

Lol! We're lucky in Oz, cars generally don't start rusting until they're 20+ years old...even Mazda's!
smile.gif

In the North of England we have lots of rain and snow, and salted roads every winter.

God invented underseal and underbody attatchments for pressure washers for a reason.

See my rust free daily driven 33yr old Scirocco for proof.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Rubbishing rustproofing and expecting your investment to corrode is one of the most ridiculous things ever alluded to on the Internet.

Why is there no rust on my 33yr old car? Because preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Rubbishing rustproofing and expecting your investment to corrode is one of the most ridiculous things ever alluded to on the Internet.

Why is there no rust on my 33yr old car? Because preventative maintenance.

I'm sure lots of people here loved their old car as much as you do, but if you drive it year round here its going to rust unless you take some extraordinary measures. Like weekly inspections and washing up on a hoist. Not many people have a heated garage with a hoist that they spray water around in the winter, plus wanting to spend the time doing it.... So cars rust out here, even if you take some precautions like annual oil sprays.

I had a 24 year old car rustproofed religiously from day one. It helped, but it still rusted to a point where I didn't care to deal with the problems anymore. It's a shame, because the powertrain could have gone another 100K.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I had a 24 year old car rustproofed religiously from day one. It helped, but it still rusted to a point where I didn't care to deal with the problems anymore. It's a shame, because the powertrain could have gone another 100K.

My 19 1/2 year old Ford Contour is totally rust free. It's in a heated garage from late October through Late April. It doesn't see salted roads. My 13 1/2 year old F-150 began rusting 5 years ago. It's outdoors 365/24/7. First the lower door and tailgate seams began to rust. Then about 2 years ago mounting points on the truck bed all of a sudden rusted through. I've slowed the rust down but it'll win in the end. The rust is accelerating. Like you, mechanically it's great but the salt is taking it's toll. In the states from the mid west through the north east and parts of Canada rust is inevitable if you drive in the winter because of the quantity of salt used on the roads.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back