Jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Jaws, one of my favorite movies, last night, and I noticed a few peculiarities regarding Quint's boat, the Orca. I'll share my main discovery. Look at the handrails of the pulpit! I hope the captain, Brody and Hooper all got tetanus shots before they went shark hunting.

2q8vd3p.jpg

ilggmh.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Quint is my favorite character from any movie, ever.

He just needed a bigger boat. He should have listened to Brody. Excellent acting job by Robert Shaw!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I don't think Robert Shaw was acting. He was just being himself.

Was he acting in Dr No whenever he was garroting someone with piano wire? Whatever, the shark just pretended to eat Shaw.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Robert Shaw! So young when he passed away. 51 years old!
Yes, a great actor indeed!

Yes was a great actor! That movie kept a lot of people out of the ocean. lol

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I watched Jaws, one of my favorite movies, last night, and I noticed a few peculiarities regarding Quint's boat, the Orca. I'll share my main discovery. Look at the handrails of the pulpit! I hope the captain, Brody and Hooper all got tetanus shots before they went shark hunting.

2q8vd3p.jpg

ilggmh.jpg

Do you mean the irregular surface? That's typical for many marine handrails which helps with grip. It's basically a wire wrapping the rail, after which a coating is applied.

Even if it was rusty steel, a bleeding graze isn't the typical tetanus issue, it's usually an anearobic deep puncture.

Still, he could well have been one of the unlucky 20 that year.

In 1991 I took a picture of "ORCA 1" from the movie at Universal Studios in Hollywood. They had purchased it back and had it sitting in a lagoon. They had some sort of JAWS attraction. I still have the picture.

Originally Posted By: Kira
How funny. The song, "C'mon down to my boat baby" has been going through my head all morning and then I see this post. Kira

I love that song!! I bought that album (Every Mothers Son) at the used book store the other day for $3 :^)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: BRZED

2q8vd3p.jpg

ilggmh.jpg

Do you mean the irregular surface? That's typical for many marine handrails which helps with grip. It's basically a wire wrapping the rail, after which a coating is applied.

You mean to tell me that's not repurposed rebar?

On the top hand rail of the ladder I see wrapping like you mention, It looks different from what I see on the pulpit's handrails.

fsac0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Even if it was rusty steel, a bleeding graze isn't the typical tetanus issue, it's usually an anearobic deep puncture.

Still, he could well have been one of the unlucky 20 that year.

If the shark had eaten the pulpit instead of the transom of the boat, he could have gotten tetanus and lockjaw, which may have saved Robert Shaw.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Quint is my favorite character from any movie, ever.

I think the scene after dinner when he described being in shark infested waters after the Indianapolis sank was one of the best acted scenes of all time.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I don't think Robert Shaw was acting. He was just being himself.

Pretty much, he was drunk most of the time. I think he and Richard Dreyfuss fought a lot. I think Shaw said something to the affect of "Just what Hollywood needs, another Jewish actor!"
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back