we just got a new subaru forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ronbo
I was considering a 2015/2016 Forester but going on a Subaru forum I read many bad reviews on the inadequate heater in the Forester/Outback in cold weather states. Mostly 2014's. Also the lack of response about the issue from Subaru to the affected people was a turn off.

From what I've read, it looks like some recent Foresters had defective thermostats, so the engine wasn't warming up properly.

Our 2015 has been fine, though I don't think it's gone below -30C yet. Biggest problem was ice building up on the inside of the windows below -20C if I didn't have defrost on... and putting defrost on slows down the engine warmup.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
A random thought but does anyone think that the CVT caused the oil consumption?

A lot of people thought that, but, since Subaru changed the piston ring design in 2013, the few oil burners have mostly been manuals. I'm guessing driving style or break-in is somehow responsible for the remaining issues, since some manual drivers have had the short block replaced and still burn oil.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
At ~ 14:20 min into this video is what the OP would want to see on the Subaru and the Forester specifically. It's very positive by the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRqE5f4tnuE

Also, in another CR Video, Annita(CR's Consumer Survey Mgr.) when asked what she would buy for herself, picked the SUBARU Forester!
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My mistake! Anita(correct spelling) is CR's Autos Data Mgr.

And, another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rhilSEGJE

And lastly, this video...Scan to ~9:40 min. And then again, scan to 18:00 min. into the video for Anita's comment on the Forester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYulHB7vhCI

Last edited:
one subaru outback that blew out 3 radiators (from leaking head gaskets)2 sets of head gaskets and one set of cyl heads all befor 60000 was enough for me . never again and now the oil comsumption -this co dosnt care about what happens after the sale period. buy at your own risk

Does anyone just go with a thicker oil. I have found most oil burners, just go thicker and it stops. Regardless of the 0w20 or 5w20 spec, if it was using a qt between changes, I d go to 5w30 or even 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Does anyone just go with a thicker oil. I have found most oil burners, just go thicker and it stops. Regardless of the 0w20 or 5w20 spec, if it was using a qt between changes, I d go to 5w30 or even 10w30.

I haven't tried 5w30 in my 2014 XV Crosstrek, but on my last oil change, I used conventional 5w20 as opposed to the recommended 0w20. I used a quart of 5w20 in ~2000mi. If the usage stays consistent, I will go with 5w30.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I haven't tried 5w30 in my 2014 XV Crosstrek, but on my last oil change, I used conventional 5w20 as opposed to the recommended 0w20. I used a quart of 5w20 in ~2000mi. If the usage stays consistent, I will go with 5w30.

Interesting. I was thinking of using conventional 5w-20 in our '14 Crosstrek as well when the two year free service ends. Glad to see that I'm not the only one!

To the OP: Congrats on the new Forester. I think that the oil consumption concerns are overblown. I drove ours in hard right on the way home from the dealer just like I always do with lots of engine braking. And I agree that it would be difficult to do with a CVT.

That's how I broke in my 2014 5spd XV. No redlining, but lots of foot to the floor, up hills and down hill compression braking.

I have to agree that their (Subaru warranty) after the sale is not stellar. I have a paint problem on my 2012 Subaru Legacy and they did not address the issue to my satisfaction. This happens when a company is "fat and sassy" and breaking sales record almost each and every month.

On a side note my son just leased a brand new Subaru Forester as well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I have to agree that their (Subaru warranty) after the sale is not stellar. I have a paint problem on my 2012 Subaru Legacy and they did not address the issue to my satisfaction. This happens when a company is "fat and sassy" and breaking sales record almost each and every month.

Nissan is also poor at warranty service too. Not sure if they're "fat and happy" or meeting their sales records. Turned away each time I had a complaint related to rust except my rusty rear bumper (pickup truck) that they replaced which is now already rusty again. TPMS? I was told that they all do this from new and just get used to it. Squeaky chassis? Can't replicate once at dealer.

Contrast this with our Honda experience on the new Civic we purchased. The Honda has not been in for warranty service because nothing has gone wrong in 73,000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

So you have had to top it off a few times? I have not had to do that at all and even after a 3000 mile highway road trip the dipstick read nearly full.

So far I have nothing but praise for our Crosstrek but time will tell.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
So you have had to top it off a few times? I have not had to do that at all and even after a 3000 mile highway road trip the dipstick read nearly full.

So far I have nothing but praise for our Crosstrek but time will tell.
35.gif

The first time the low oil level light went on was ~1600mi. That was the least amount of mileage. I've added about 5qts of top-up oil in it's first ~24K miles. In as little as the first 1600mi, and it's gone a good 3-4Kmiles between needing a quart. Too sporadic for me to want to pursue it with the dealer.

Like I say, I drove the [censored] out of it since driving it off the lot and my work commute is a hilly, windy 80 mile round trip mostly 65-75mph highway commute. I average 31mpg tank/tank in the summer. 32 per the dash computer.

All in all, I love the vehicle, I just wish I had paid the extra grand or so for the CVT. Most of the time I absolutely loathe the 5spd manual in this vehicle. Like I've said in other threads on this, I've owned 4-5spd trucks and SUVs that were more of a pleasure to clutch/shift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: CKN

Nissan is also poor at warranty service too. Not sure if they're "fat and happy" or meeting their sales records. Turned away each time I had a complaint related to rust except my rusty rear bumper (pickup truck) that they replaced which is now already rusty again. TPMS? I was told that they all do this from new and just get used to it. Squeaky chassis? Can't replicate once at dealer.

Contrast this with our Honda experience on the new Civic we purchased. The Honda has not been in for warranty service because nothing has gone wrong in 73,000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I had an air bag control module go out once on my Honda Accord that was well out of warranty. The dealer wanted like $800.00 to replace it. I called American Honda Corporate and they "cooperated" with the dealer and the price of the repair dropped significantly. The only reason I didn't buy another Honda after relocating to Utah was the AWD offerings were pretty slim. I didn't want an SUV and the Crosstour was pretty darn ugly.

I am considering the Pilot as the wife and I are talking about getting rid of my Silverado and travel trailer.

Last edited:
That is really odd since I have not added a drop of oil to our Crosstrek.
21.gif

Although I am a diehard MT guy I agree that the Subie clutch has room for improvement. We usually buy new cars for my wife and then I get her old ones when she upgrades so I expect to inherit the Crosstrek in a few years.

Congrats on the new forester. I have had 3 of them over the years, and am holding onto a 2001 with almost 400K miles. We almost bought a new forester last year but too many complaints of oil consumption. The theory is that the timing chain is causing this.

If i were you I would get all oil changes at the dealer with documentation. If any oil consumption happens during your warranty you should be covered.

You dont have to do timing belts now, so assume that you will be saving $800 every few years...which in trade will pay for your dealer oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back