OEM or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I believe the crankshaft position sensor is going out on my regal. Common symptoms and "thermal failure". I'm pretty positive tho it is the sensor.

My question is would this be one of thoses parts where its recommended to go OEM? Its not really that much more 1/3rd but I don't wanna go threw the time to replace it and regret not using OEM. I by all means am not going for the cheapest of cheap just wondering if the 30% premium for OEM is justifiable in this situation.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

ACDelco or Delphi bought off Amazon or RockAuto is sometimes similar in price to a cheaper brand bought from a parts house.

Yeah, I'm going with OEM shortly after I posted I realized its not worth my time to replace it if the car rejects the aftermarket sensor.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nah, go aftermarket as long as it isn't total cheap Chinese junk.

You have never replaced a CKP sensor on a 3800? It's behind the harmonic balancer.

Replace with OEM grade AC-Delco only.

Hot ignition issues...Could be an ignition control module issue.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Delphi makes the actual OE part. According to their parts catalog, the part number is SS10213.

I'm comparing complete apples to oranges, but on my Focus, I went with a Delphi crankshaft sensor, which was the actual OE part and I haven't sat on the side of the road yet.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nah, go aftermarket as long as it isn't total cheap Chinese junk.

You have never replaced a CKP sensor on a 3800? It's behind the harmonic balancer.

Replace with OEM grade AC-Delco only.

Hot ignition issues...Could be an ignition control module issue.
I've replaced a crank sensor on a Chevy 350 and a harmonic balancer on a Buick 3400. Neither of which were difficult.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
is your ECM/OBD I system reporting any codes that indicate the CPS?

Cars one of thoses OBD 1.5 years. So I can't scan it its throwing codes only when it gets hot and starts to run rough. Not unheard of for a bad CPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back