Marine gear lube vs auto gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I assume you're referring to a GL-5 diffy lube.

Today's GL-5 additive packages don't affect copper alloys.

Besides, show me where, in a differential, there are any copper alloy materials.

Actually, I was asking in reference to a suitable replacement for a copper alloy worm geared tiller gear box.

Are you jerking our chains?
crazy2.gif

If that is the case, then any 80W90 mineral gear lube should suffice.

Besides, show me where, in a differential, there are any copper alloy materials.

Actually, I was asking in reference to a suitable replacement for a copper alloy worm geared tiller gear box.

crazy2.gif

Its a very special (to me) "horse" from the 80's that I inherited from my late grandpa. They don't make the this good anymore and I want to run the best I can without worry of corroding the yellow alloys.

You have always seemed very knowledgeable and thoughtful when it comes to sharing your lubrication knowledge. I must have caught you on a bad day.
12.gif

crazy2.gif

Its a very special (to me) "horse" from the 80's that I inherited from my late grandpa. They don't make the this good anymore and I want to run the best I can without worry of corroding the yellow alloys.

You have always seemed very knowledgeable and thoughtful when it comes to sharing your lubrication knowledge. I must have caught you on a bad day.
12.gif

Not at all.
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The OP was asking about the differences between a Marine gear lube and an automotive lube. I think everyone assumed the application under discussion was hypoid type automotive differentials.

I too had one of those tillers (when I lived in St. Louis) with a copper-alloy worm drive transmission.

The problems I had were worn out bearings and seals.

Never did I see any corrosion from the 80W90 mineral oil in use.

After I replaced those worn out bearings and seals, she lasted until I moved, when I then gave it to my neighbor who also had a small garden.

Last edited:

Not at all.
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The OP was asking about the differences between a Marine gear lube and an automotive lube. I think everyone assumed the application under discussion was hypoid type automotive differentials.

I too had one of those tillers (when I lived in St. Louis) with a copper-alloy worm drive transmission.

The problems I had were worn out bearings and seals.

Never did I see any corrosion from the 80W90 mineral oil in use.

After I replaced those worn out bearings and seals, she lasted until I moved, when I then gave it to my neighbor who also had a small garden.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I should have hoisted the off topic flag before asking my question.
32.gif
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back