2012 Kia Forte oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted before and still don't feel comfortable buying anything yet. I have 2012 Kia Forte ex. It's my girlfriends car. It is making a ticking sound while the engine is running currently im using a fram ultra filter and QSUD 5w30 and it's still noisy. The car specs 5w20 so my plan is to switch to a Kia oem filter to hopefully help the tick as I've read a tsb from Kia saying not to use anything but oem filters so I'm gonna try that. But I also want to know what the best off the shelf oil would be for it? I would like the quietest and just best overall. It gets highway tripped a lot and barely short tripped or city tripped. It's more of our long trip highway vehicle. I've read that QSUD is usually the quietest. Anyone have opinions?

Is that a GDI engine? My Kia Rio is and it makes a sewing machine sound. I use OEM filters. I usually use Napa Synthetic but I have used my clearance stash of QSUD recently. Fram Ultra should be fine in your car. My guess is the noise is the GDI engine. If that is what you have.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware it's not a gdi. Everyone has suggested that lol. But it's the 2.0. No gdi badging anywhere as there should be. From every research I've done it's not a gdi.

They're just noisy engines, Hyundai too. They make disgusting sounds but they all do that.

Well the motor itself is made by Hyundai. I just want it to be the quietest possible. So I was curious who thought what oil will be the quietest

I believe some members have claimed that QSUD 5w-30 is on the "thinner" side. Hence more engine noise. I've had two Elantras, 2008 and 2011, and found they ran quieter with QSGB and PYB. But I live in NC and used 5w-30 instead of the specified 5w-20.

I would prefer a synthetic as this is my girlfriends car and we tend to forget when the oil needs to be changed so I want the extra insurance. What are people's thoughts on the quietest synthetic engine oil?

There was a recall or tsb on 2.0 souls of that vintage that basically said the lifters would grenade and blow engines. See if it maybe applies to you as well

Get it on record with the dealer bring it back 3 times and you may qualify for lemon law i dont know what the rules are in NY but Lemon law is 100% free! PM me for details

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Get it on record with the dealer bring it back 3 times and you may qualify for lemon law i dont know what the rules are in NY but Lemon law is 100% free! PM me for details
You can't lemon law a 3-4 year old car

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I posted before and still don't feel comfortable buying anything yet. I have 2012 Kia Forte ex. It's my girlfriends car. It is making a ticking sound while the engine is running currently im using a fram ultra filter and QSUD 5w30 and it's still noisy. The car specs 5w20 so my plan is to switch to a Kia oem filter to hopefully help the tick as I've read a tsb from Kia saying not to use anything but oem filters so I'm gonna try that. But I also want to know what the best off the shelf oil would be for it? I would like the quietest and just best overall. It gets highway tripped a lot and barely short tripped or city tripped. It's more of our long trip highway vehicle. I've read that QSUD is usually the quietest. Anyone have opinions?

You will get opinions just like you did before. Results, not so much. Pick up a jug of something different and try it. That's the only way to know the result. BTW, Hyundai/Kia recommend QS and I think are FF with it.

Originally Posted By: BrianC

You will get opinions just like you did before. Results, not so much. Pick up a jug of something different and try it. That's the only way to know the result. BTW, Hyundai/Kia recommend QS and I think are FF with it.

You are correct about QS being the FF. I'd run QSUD with an OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: BrianC

+1000

Personally, I think you might be hesitant with the oil selection because you feel there might be an underlying issue and oil brand or weight is going to be your savior. Make certain it's not a GDI and then use the oil of your choice with an OEM filter...then decide how many oils you're going to try if there's no result before getting it diagnosed.

they're just noisy engines. I have one for work and have 50K NYC driven miles on it. due for a UOA at 52k. been running Mobil bulk 5/20 and OEM filters. doing 5k changes and runs well.
AFAIK its not a GDI engine those were in the 13 or 14's.

There is more to lemon law than you think.. There is also breach of warranty and a slew of other remedies depending on the state he lives in and when the car was actually purchased and put into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back