Akebono ProACT vs. Raybestos Element3 EHT Pads (pics)

Originally Posted By: Trav

Take the names off and pick one.

That's my point Trav. You can't do that. That's such a hypothetical situation. I NEVER buy anything by just looking at it. My purchasing is HEAVILY dictated by real world experiences and reviews.

There are a lot of things that look "simple" or "not as robust" vs. the competition, yet they outperform the competition. Just because one vacuum cleaner shows 600 cfm of power and another 800, doesn't mean that 800 cfm sweeper is better. Too many factors to consider.

I'm not saying Raybestos pads are bad. No way.

I'm having excellent results with the Akebono Street Performance brake pads with little to no brake dust, long friction material life, and very good pedal feel. I would try the ASP888 for your application. To me, the Akebono ASP line of brake pads is expensive but well worth the extra dollars.

To me, the smaller surface area of the Akebono's probably means it just requires more pressure to engage. Since they can't change the brake system, they just make the pad smaller, same force/smaller area, more PSI.

Whether this is better or not, I don't think it matters so much as the quality of the pad material and overall workmanship.

I would be comfortable with choosing either pad, but would probably take the larger GG pad if I had the choice.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I am with DuckRyder regarding the use of a pad that most resembles the OEM design.

In the first picture, assuming that the backing pads are the same thickness, the pad material on the Raybestos appears to be about 2mm thicker than the Akebono. That's 4 mm of extra thickness to accommodate in the caliper. Maybe good, maybe not. The second Raybestos slot reduces surface area also.

I would be leery of using either until I confirmed what the OEM looked like.

It's good to see both are made in the U.S.. I thought Raybestos went entirely overseas.

Akebonos first used to be madein Japan only. They cheapened and outsourced later.

Well no one seems to have opinions on Raybesto's new pad and a long-time BITOG'er has his hands on one where he can do a long term review and initial test. People rave about the tried-and true akebono's but I'd give them a run for the money as see Raybestos do better.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No one said the Akebono is bad but look at it for it is, the Raybestos has a GG rating vs the Akebono's FF, more pad material which is not a bad thing.
Take the names off and pick one. I would choose the Raybestos based just on those two things alone. Both parts have a good name, so its not like one is a known quality and the other a cheap no name where you trust the rating.

As far as no evidence a larger pad is ever needed i don't understand what your talking about. The more pad you have the more stopping power all other things being equal, i don't think there is a debate about that.
Akabono is okay but its certainly not the be all and end all, its just another quality pad amongst many.

Agreed.

I did some searching on eBay and found a picture of the Genuine Infiniti pads.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181736833559

Basically the OEM pad's chamfer design matches the Akebono. The OEM pads also have one slot and not two. I don't have a set of the OEM pads here so I can't measure the length of the material on the backing plate.

While I'm sure that the pad shape, changer, shim design and material all make up the noise dampening system - it is certainly possible that Raybestos is making up for the "more shallow" chamfers by changing the pad shape and/or shim design.

Garak - these are the ACT888 for the RWD sedan. The AWD model uses this ACT815.

Trav - my only concern about the friction ratings is that they only tell part of the story about how a pad will perform. For instance, FF-rated low-metallic genuine BMW pads will grab harder than most GG-rated ceramic equivalents. We also don't know where the Akebonos rank within the FF category - since the codes specify a range. I think the friction codes are a consideration but should not be in the top 2 factors.

Ronbo - the shim issue is an interesting one. The Akebonos generally use stainless steel shims with a smooth costing that scratches/peels easily...at least the outer layer...in certain applications. But the shims tend fit tightly and not rattle, which is sometimes a problem with the OEM Toyota shims in some applications. The Raybestos use a multi-layered metal shim that is a better design IMO. But certain applications just need the two-piece OEM style shim kit (extra piece on the inboard side) or else there will be noise.

Led slinger - in person, the Akebono finish is much nicer. It's smooth and well-painted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Basically the OEM pad's chamfer design matches the Akebono. The OEM pads also have one slot and not two.

It sounds like the Akebonos most closely match the OEM pad. I guess that makes sense: a quick check of RockAuto shows that Akebono is the OEM pad supplier for at least the rear pads. They could me the OEM supplier for the fronts, too, hard to tell (RockAuto doesn't seem to indicate). That's generally been my experience with Akebono -- they seem to be a great match for the OEM pad in terms of fit-and-finish, behavior, etc.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Basically the OEM pad's chamfer design matches the Akebono. The OEM pads also have one slot and not two.

It sounds like the Akebonos most closely match the OEM pad. I guess that makes sense: a quick check of RockAuto shows that Akebono is the OEM pad supplier for at least the rear pads. They could me the OEM supplier for the fronts, too, hard to tell (RockAuto doesn't seem to indicate). That's generally been my experience with Akebono -- they seem to be a great match for the OEM pad in terms of fit-and-finish, behavior, etc.

Hitachi is usually the OEM supplier for the fronts, but yes - you are correct.

What I'm still most curious about, is the length of the pad material on the backing plate. I guess I'll have to find a new set of OEM pads to measure.

Critic) Trav - my only concern about the friction ratings is that they only tell part of the story about how a pad will perform. For instance said:
I cant honestly say i believe the DOT codes painted on off brand or big box store pads but between good brands there should be a difference regardless of pad material even if the FF is at the hogh end of the scale and the GG at the low end.

Initial bite on some semi metallic EE pads is very good but they fade quickly.
I disagree, Brand, rating and COO are what i look for more than reviews (a rigged and worthless game IMHO) and fancy advertising.
A rating is a standard and a review is just an opinion.

I am use to working with brands like ATE, Pagid, Jurid, Textar, Brembo, etc so i have little experience with Akebono and also no bias. They are okay, they seem to work well enough but nothing special.
Bendix CT-3 was an very good pad before they moved production offshore, aftermarket Brembo can be some real trash also.

I call em as i see em, i personally would go with the Raybestos, so we will have to agree to disagree.
what i should have said was not take the name off and pick one but call the Raybestos the Akebono and see how people react, thats where you will see the bias. I would bet the Akebono would still be the favorite for many even if mislabeled.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

Akebonos first used to be madein Japan only. They cheapened and outsourced later.

Akebono has a few plants in the US who supply OEMs.

The OE pad length is similar to the pictures I am posting. I did not notice a significant size difference between them. Here are a couple other front pads for the same car:

EBC:

Used Project Mu:

BTW, that rear end looks familiar...oddly mine is not out of a G35

Last edited:
So what was the outcome? I have the same question: Akebono pro act vs Raybestos Element 3.

Has anyone tried the element 3?

Originally Posted By: Harry6

So what was the outcome? I have the same question: Akebono pro act vs Raybestos Element 3.

It's a good pad - very comparable to the Pro-ACT but at a lower price. Akebono offers better fit/finish and slightly better cold temp performance though.

BTW the 888 size that I posted original post are actually not wide enough for the application. The sizing just isn't right - the pads leave a huge rust ring towards the edge of the rotor. The 905 size works great though and we've been using a ton of them.

We're using the OE Hitachi pads for this application (888). We used to use Centric 105s for the fronts until they changed the pad formula to be "FE" rated. But we still use the Centric 105s for the rear -- they are FF or FG rated for all the applications we've ordered them for.

Last edited:

It's a good pad - very comparable to the Pro-ACT but at a lower price. Akebono offers better fit/finish and slightly better cold temp performance though.

Thank you very much for responding! If I understand, in the end you liked both, but found the akebono slightly better at cold temps.

I'm putting them on my own car - an 04 Camry, and live in the Northeast. The OE's are akebono, and from your thoughts on this it sounds like they would be a slightly better choice then the Raybestos element 3.

What you wrote is especially interesting because in the original writeup it appeared that the fit / finish on the akebonos was actually inferior to the raybestos. And the the GG rating of the Element 3 made it seem like they had the potential to provide some better grip then the FF rated akebonos.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and experience...

Last edited:
I got the "performance" ASP "ultra premium" GG ceramic, rather than the ProACT (OEM) version for the Kitcam...it likes them...

tpmnhn.jpg

Last edited:
Why u say pro act has better cold temperatures bite?

Last edited:
I would be willing to try the raybestos. I have akebono asp pads on the Fusion front and rear and they are great brakes. Good cold bite that increases to throw you through the windshield after the first stop.

Back