lexus sound deadning- how different fromToyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
comparing two almost identical cars like a camry to whatever the same size lexus is, who knows (someone in a body shop? ) what parts are different relative to sound deadening, and wind noise reduction?
are the door seals better? are there extra insulation panels inside the door? etc

any ideas. I have a highlander bought new which to me has excessive door wind noise / and road noise.

Look for replacements, and their part numbers. That will give you an idea of similarities in insulation.
Get thorough with the Dynamat and fill all the cavities with wax if you want it quiet but then you'll hear a squeak and a rattle and drive yourself mad trying to locate them! Ask me how I know..

Everything you can imagine might be different on any given pair of analogous vehicles. There may or may not be insulation inside oddball parts like the fender liners even. And it isn't even differences between makes - try riding in an XL Super Duty with rubber floor mats and then getting in a Platinum. The Platinum is like a Lincoln, you can feel/hear every pebble in the XL.

Nowadays some vehicles have actually become so quiet that they seem impotent, so the car plays fake engine noise through the speakers. I first heard about this on Infiniti, but it's even on the Mustang now...

Based on my 2001 Camry I would say a lot of Lexus NVH made it into the pedestrian Camry, it's a 4 banger and you can barely hear anything when the windows are up.

The wind noise due to the windshield and pillar rake is something you'll have to live with. If you take the door panels off to sound deaden, you could easily add new squeaks.

You'd be better off comparing the Camry to the ES
smile.gif

They used to be identical, but lately they have actually started to differentiate them

Olas mentioned it. I have heard the same issue many times before. Get the car all quieted down with tons of work and then every squeak and rattle will indeed drive you crazy!

Most likely the Lexii simply have more of the same insulation in more places. Most modern cars use several different types of foam, sealants, matting, etc. throughout the vehicle.

Generally the cheaper the model the less of the expensive materials are used...

Last edited:
The cheap Lexus are not that impressive but the big one is very quite. Can't think of a better commuter car than a Lexus LS, set the cruise at 85 crank up the excellent sound system and just waft.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Everything you can imagine might be different on any given pair of analogous vehicles. There may or may not be insulation inside oddball parts like the fender liners even. And it isn't even differences between makes - try riding in an XL Super Duty with rubber floor mats and then getting in a Platinum. The Platinum is like a Lincoln, you can feel/hear every pebble in the XL.

well, my Mother and I have Similarly equipped/trimmed vehicles. She: 2009 Ford Taurus Limited, I:2009 Mercury Sable Premier
is there any difference in noise between the 2?, nope.( both markedly quieter than my Previous Neon) literally the Differences are badges, and a couple panels(Trunk(Boot) lid, rear bumper, Hood(Bonnet), Fenders(Wings), and Grille/lights.)
Now My uncle always Buys Lincolns. They have a specially laminated "Sound screen" windows that cut down exterior noise dramatically.

Lexus had a commercial way back when claiming the sheet metal had sound deadening layered into it. I have a ls 400 and the thing is a vault- the car is very heavy as are the doors and what not- so I am thinking part if it is the sheet metal.

Lexus, like other high-end brands, spends time and money on sound engineering, not just to get things quiet, but to get the "right" sound slamming doors, so it sounds like "quality".

You can quiet down a Toyota with Dynamats and such, but it still won't sound the same.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Lexus had a commercial way back when claiming the sheet metal had sound deadening layered into it. I have a ls 400 and the thing is a vault- the car is very heavy as are the doors and what not- so I am thinking part if it is the sheet metal.

I think ford was doing the same starting in the mid 2000's? a dual-layer sheet metal with some binder between the layers? changed the new "standard" of quietness IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back