What is in the drivers door

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan?
My son is having lots of failure events with my old van. Lights flashing, horn blowing, door locks cycling, other stuff. Somehow it seems to be related to the drivers door. Sometimes, pushing on the inner door panel will cause these symptoms. I seem to remember someone saying there was a module of some sort in the drivers door. The door was replaced several years ago due to collision damage.

There's a two-wire communication bus where if some module *anywhere* has a conniption, the whole system goes kablooey.

I'd see if whatever stuff in the door can be unplugged, and maybe some fail safe triggered.

This *should* be past the year where the HVAC power plug charred and caused hi-jinks with the BCM.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's a two-wire communication bus where if some module *anywhere* has a conniption, the whole system goes kablooey.

I'd see if whatever stuff in the door can be unplugged, and maybe some fail safe triggered.

This *should* be past the year where the HVAC power plug charred and caused hi-jinks with the BCM.
There's a "Can Bus" in a 2000?

This is also one of the years with early lead free solder, that have developed into lots of "flaky" connections... Including the clock spring. If that goes, the replacement units have a lifetime warranty.

On older Jeep Cherokees, there is often some chafing of the wires where they go from the body to the door; I'd have a look there first before opening the door. But since you can cause the issues by pushing on the inside, it might very well be some loose contacts inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back