Oil recommendations for Audi s4 2.7 twin turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and a new purchaser of an Audi s4. I have been reading extensively in what oil to use for my car. The manual says 5w40. I've read that many people use 0w40 and even 0w30 if it's gc. After reading I've come up with 3 oils in interested in. I primarily want something easy to get at local stores so that limits me. I am considering 0w40 Mobil 1, 0w40 castrol, and rotella t6. They are all readily available to me. I live in Massachusetts so the winters do get cold sometimes below 0. I've read 0w is excellent for winter use and I will most likely use 0w in the winter or maybe even all year depending on what recommendations everyone here has. If I end up going with t6 I want to know which 0w will be best in the winter or even all year. Thanks!

If you drive less than 12-15k miles a year with mostly more than 10 miles trips, then either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W40 will be a good match for once a year oil change.

Many will say Mobil1 0W40, but I prefer Castrol 0W40. Many Wal-marts stock the Castol 0W40 in a 5 quart jug for $26.68. Castro 0W40 is VW502 approved, made in Germany, is a real PAO synthetic and the newest formula has titanium which may provide additional wear protection if you happen to push your engine before the oil has fully warmed up.

I'm typically pretty good at letting it warm up before even attempting to drive it let alone play with the turbo's. But I know I can't ALWAYS let it warm up before I go.

If short trips is less than 10-20% of total trips then it doesn't matter much, because the longer trips will burn off moisture from shorter trips.

Either M1 or Castrol 0W40 is very good for German engines, I buy either on price. Same price I buy M1 because it's an American company.

Wow basically the same car too mines an 2000 though lol. Seems like people stated castrol to be slightly better but only if they are the same price which they are locally to me. I'm surprised there hasn't been much about rotella. Many people seemed to like that elsewhere.

Rotella is a great oil, but it does not carry the official VW 502.00 approval, which your engine mfg calls for. Will Rotella work? Probably. But if you can get a VW 502.00 approved oil for about the same price as Rotella, then why even bother with Rotella?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Many will say Mobil1 0W40, but I prefer Castrol 0W40. Many Wal-marts stock the Castol 0W40 in a 5 quart jug for $26.68. Castro 0W40 is VW502 approved, made in Germany, is a real PAO synthetic and the newest formula has titanium which may provide additional wear protection if you happen to push your engine before the oil has fully warmed up.

M1 0w-40 is also a PAO based synthetic. If we go by the MSDS, it actually has more PAO than Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Rotella is a great oil, but it does not carry the official VW 502.00 approval, which your engine mfg calls for. Will Rotella work? Probably. But if you can get a VW 502.00 approved oil for about the same price as Rotella, then why even bother with Rotella?

Well if rotella works as well as it does and maybe in some cases better than 502 approved oil and I'm out of warranty why not? I'm just asking the question for opinions! I've heard great things about rotella being better than most other approved vw oils. Especially since the zddp is higher for diesels. I just want to know what's the best and easiest to get. Which Mobil definitely fits the bill

Originally Posted By: Germanjunky
Especially since the zddp is higher for diesels.

It's not really higher. Overall, M1 0w-40 has a richer add pack than Rotella T6.

Quote:
I'm just asking the question for opinions!

And I gave you mine.
smile.gif

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Originally Posted By: Germanjunky
Anyone else?

Mobil 1 0w40 is going to be your cheapest route to a quality lube. If you're into specialty synthetics AMSOIL 5w40 full saps euro formula is a good option, and reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back