Range Rover Diff fluid, castrol SAF XO/Carbon mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an 2008 range rover supercharged. It has had all its maintenance done at the dealer before i got it but No way i am paying land rover to do anything on this truck.It has 75,000 miles. I don't think the trans or diffs have been changed.

Land Rover recommend castrol SAF XO Now replaced with Castrol Syntrax Long life 75w-90 for the front and Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus for the rear.

Both fluids look to me like top of the line full synthetic. Is there any reason to use a different fluid or does anyone know of a better fluid? They seem to be full synthetics made for commercial vehicles.

The Transmission on the other hand Is a ZF gearbox and calls for ZF life guard 6. It seems that is the only fluid that is compatible with it?

Also the transfer case calls for Shell TF 0753? It seems to be similar to a syncromax type fluid? Any recommendations?

I would use Amsoil or Redline 75w90 to replace the expensive oem fluid there.

As far as the life guard 6 I was under the impression it's just another low viscosity ATF which can be replaced by Redline D6 or Amsoil fuel efficient ATF. Maybe email them about compatibility. I think some have even used DexronVI in these applications.

My 330ci required the SAF XO and I wound up using plain 'ol Castrol Syntec 75w-90 from AutoZone with no ill effects over 165k miles. Changed it every 30k miles. In my BMWs case there was no need for a unicorn derived fluid at all. At 30k miles the drained fluid looked like new - no stress at all.

The castrol syntrax will last u 50k miles before need to replace, double that if you drive normal and don't race it

Hi,
bugman53 - The Castrol fluids you've used are top of the range - with very few if any equals. In my case I have used them in my OTR vehicles (gearbox & differentials) as a lifetime fill - up to around 1m kms

I've also used them in various Porsche vehicles I've owned - in some cases with quite outstanding results

Use the ZF Fluid - ZF know what they are about

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i will just stay with the OEM fluids. It seems they are as good as anything on the market. I guess i will bite the bullet and buy The ZF fluid, i might wait until 100k to change it though as this truck looks to have lived a pampered life.

I see a good reason to use the OEM ATF, but no reason to not try other 75w90 fluids if the price difference is huge. Amsoil/Redline fluids are good for the 75w90.

bugman53, I think you are doing the right thing by going with the OEM fluids.

One thing to keep in mind for the automatic transmission -- check it for leaks! I have seen several BMW's with the ZF transmissions similar to what is in your Range Rover, and most of them leaked at higher mileages. The leaks come from the transmission pan and the mechatronics sleeve located on the upper right side of the transmission (it is where the electronics connect in to the transmission). I have a feeling many of the BMW's that have ZF transmissions replaced at relatively young mileages are due to the leaks, which cause the fluid to be low. There is no dipstick, and the computer doesn't warn you. Also there is a large cover under the car, so you never see slight leaks.

Originally Posted By: bugman53
Thanks for the suggestions. I think i will just stay with the OEM fluids. It seems they are as good as anything on the market. I guess i will bite the bullet and buy The ZF fluid, i might wait until 100k to change it though as this truck looks to have lived a pampered life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back