Synthetic (low pour point) ISO 22 fluid available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Hi there,

I got a log splitter the other day and notice that it seems to struggle a bit when the temps dip down into the teens and single digits (Fahrenheit). It calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil and specifically mentions Mobil DTE 11 and Shell Telus 22 (neither of which appear to be available locally). However, I have no doubt that the factory fill is whatever the lowest bidder supplied FOB China. I was hoping for some sage advice on a good replacement oil that has a low enough pour point that I'm not SOL when the temps dip down. Something available by the gallon and carried by the likes of TractorSupply or even Amazon would be even better.

Best,

FG

If you can find it online Pentosin CHF 11S is ISO 22 and a synthetic according to their product lists. It will be expensive though.

castrol icematic sw22 is a POE synthetic VG22 oil, pour point is something silly like -76°F. Flash point is 464°F.

any moisture that gets mixed in the oil will help in forming a protective tribofilm, so no worries there either.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Hi there,

I got a log splitter the other day and notice that it seems to struggle a bit when the temps dip down into the teens and single digits (Fahrenheit). It calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil and specifically mentions Mobil DTE 11 and Shell Telus 22 (neither of which appear to be available locally). However, I have no doubt that the factory fill is whatever the lowest bidder supplied FOB China. I was hoping for some sage advice on a good replacement oil that has a low enough pour point that I'm not SOL when the temps dip down. Something available by the gallon and carried by the likes of TractorSupply or even Amazon would be even better.

Best,

FG

Take a look at the specs for Schaeffers #254, specifically the IOS 32:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/264.pdf

This is a synthetic PAO base oil formulation with a pour point of -65F and a VI of 130.

I can't see why why you would need an ISO 22 unless that spec was based on the low temp performance of a mineral oil.

Are you sure the pump is providing the proper pressures?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back