My Nat Geo profile / photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few friends, but only 2 of them who are almost professional photographers have been suggesting me to create a National Geographic "YourShot" profile and start uploading some photographs I take. I have been putting it off for a very long time and finally got around to doing it, and uploaded about 50 pics or so over the past few weeks. (One is only allowed to upload 15 photos a week).

I feel silly looking at some of the other photos taken by fellow members there who have "liked / favorited" some of my photos. I am so behind and have so much to learn. But I am always curious to see what others think, so I thought i'd post the link to my profile on NG. It only loads a few when you click on the link and you must scroll down and click "load more" - or you can click on the latest one and start a slide show or just keep clicking back/forward arrows I guess.

Here's the link: (If you click on individual photos one by one you can see photo details such as location / description and EXIF data etc below the photo - perhaps you can see those things even on slideshow, IDK)

To me personally, the most interesting thing about this has been to see which photos grabbed the attention of the much more talented members there - most of those were very unexpected...photos i thought were nothing special ended up getting most "likes" and vice versa.

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/969878/

Last edited:
i like the old engines picture a lot. however, i would crop it and put the pink fan dead in the center.
the one with legs is nice, but again i would crop it using the 1/3 rule.

Ah - good tips. Thanks !
I will try uploading engine pic again after a crop. (next week - my 15 uploads are up for this week - they even include deleted or duplicates in the count)
The legs pic was already cropped a bit from the bottom.

Thing is, NG is very strict on cropping/editing excessively, and they just delete when they detect heavily edited or cropped pics so I was afraid to crop much - however they do allow "light-handed" cropping and editing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just curious, how do they detect excessively cropped images?

If you look at the corner of a photo taken by a wide-angle lense, you can kinda sense its "wide angle-ness". It must be something subtle with the textures or lighting, but there are optical things you can pick up on. By extension, if you cropped along a vertical seam-- say a two page spread in a magazine-- I could tell you which page it is.

Try me. Take a picture, crop one corner out of it. I'll tell you which corner.
wink.gif

Plus, they're National Geographic. They know photos.

you make it hard, because there isn't much texture in glass.

Gonna say, right side, probably lower right.

I'm a little confused now. When you crop something, you crop one of the sides, so either top, right, bottom, or left. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "lower right." Would that mean that both right side and bottom were cropped out?

97tbird, apologies for taking your thread OT. I was genuinely curious how Nat Geo detects cropped images. They've got to have some computer algorithm do this automatically...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
my guess is if the image size or resolution is too low, it will be rejected.

Yes, the images need to be at least 1,600 pixels on the long side.

But if you have a large megapixel camera, you can crop quite a bit, and still have at least 1,600 pixels left.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm a little confused now. When you crop something, you crop one of the sides, so either top, right, bottom, or left. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "lower right." Would that mean that both right side and bottom were cropped out?

Sorry, I think the (remaining) picture is the lower right, so the left side was cut off and discarded.

OP may also run into EXIF data problems... maybe the EXIF ID's the camera and a script "knows" that camera shoots at 9.1 megapixels but only sees 8.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back