2015 rental Corvette review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clear back in 05 Chrysler used both throttle and spark retard during shifts. I'm more than sure GM is closing the throttle as well as pulling spark. I was told by a GM engineer that it not only aids longevity but also helps the trans complete the shift quicker.

Aftermarket tunes can completely transform a car...

This must be one of the Hertz edition 'Vettes? We just bought two off them @ the dealership after 8K miles of rental. Neat package has a special little dash plaque and unique yellow calipers also. Reminiscent of the 'H' Shelby Mustangs.

I've driven a 2014 Stingray 7 speed manual, and did many full throttle acceleration runs from pole position in 'sport' mode.

I was a bit timid in first gear never going much past 1/2 throttle, but once I got it into second it was on, and I have never felt acceleration like that before.

I did a couple 55 to 125mph runs on the freeway too. Drop it into third when a fool finally got out of the left lane, and punch it and start giggling like a madman until visions of being carted off in cuffs set in. I could have weaved in and out of traffic at that speed, with complete confidence, if traffic could be trusted to not do something stupid.

I certainly would be in Jail, or worse, if I had such a vehicle as a daily driver.

More recently I drove a 2014 Camaro SS rental with the Automatic. Quite boring in comparison as it would start in second gear. I did not have enough time to get used to the paddle shifters. When I really pushed it hard, all the dash lights started blinking, and it stalled and I had to pull off the road. It restarted, but I think they have some sort of Valet feature on the rentals. If this thing had the same engine as the Stingray, as I was told, the car must weigh a ton more.

I still managed to scare the pants off of the passenger whose rental it was. The brakes worked nicely
smile.gif

^^^The current Camaro SS (L99, which is even down a little {~25 HP} on power to the manual car's LS3) does NOT have the same engine as the C7, nor is the slushbox the same.
31.gif

The next gen (6th), lighter, Camaro's base (SS?) V-8 will be some variant of the C7's LT1, as will the manual and auto gearboxes (hopefully).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Cujet
blue plexiglass roof.

I would absolutely HATE that (is this a clear plexiglass roof,like a targa?). They don't offer glass?

No glass tops since the 70's/80's T-tops. Even my 94 corvette with the blue clear top is lexan. Glass would be too heavy and not as safe. Lexan/plastic is superior over glass.

Curious as to what happens to that plastic over time (especially parked in the sun every day). Will it turn brittle,yellow,and opaque over time like plastic headlights? just seems to me that real glass would be superior to some cheap plastic.

What kills plastic in the marine world is the use of improper cleaners on it. Windex will cause to to craze over pretty quickly. If you use proper cleaners you can expect at least a 10 year life span out of it, if not much longer.

Also remember most Corvettes are garaged and don't bake out in the strong sun like boats do all the time.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
More recently I drove a 2014 Camaro SS rental with the Automatic. Quite boring in comparison as it would start in second gear. I did not have enough time to get used to the paddle shifters.

That is not normal. My friends absolutely as delivered stock 2013 SS has run side by side with my sig car many times. he can trap 11-112 mph in good air.

It is many things, but it is not boring when you hit the go pedal!

Interestingly,

A friend recently completed a 2014 Procharger supercharged Corvette w/manual trans. He came by to give me a ride to the airport. He claims it ran 10.1 on drag tires. 770HP is what he said it made.

It's worlds different than the rental. Instant throttle response, noisy, zero traction, and a whole lot of fun. I like it, no, correction, I loved it.

He claims it's faster than Aventador's and other high end supercars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back