Using 10w-30 in my Duratec 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably one of the least likely to be posting something like this.

I picked up some peak 10w-30 for $1.90 a quart. Was going to use it in the Cherokee as a cheap oil for after I changed the oilpan gasket. Turns out the Pennzoil HM oil stopped the leak from the pan gasket. I'm satisfied that if I just tighten the bolts a bit, it wont be a problem. Plus, with the engine noises ... I am sure there are piston pieces in the oil pan. That's a can of worms I don't want to open.

So now I have 6 quarts of this 10w-30 and I'm due for an oil change. Was just going to pick up a cheap 5w-20 but I figure I will use this for now.

Has anyone used 10w-30 in the 4 cylinder Duratec engine? I can find lots of information for people running it in the SPI and Zetec in a Focus, but not the Duratec or the "pinto" engine 2.3 in the ranger ... not the Duratec 2.3.

Everyone here will be running 5/10w30 and even a 40 weight in this engine with no ill effects. This engine specced 5w30 here and everywhere else in the world I believe. It's only in the US you'd find a 20 weight in this engine so I would say it would be absolutely fine, you might even find you prefer it
smile.gif

Was the engine available outside of the US? I thought Focii and other non-American Fords got the Zetec / Zeta engine.

When you start that thing in cold weather, the 5W-20 in it is far heavier than 10W-30 will be during the summer. Use it without a second thought.

I have 5W-30 in my 5W-20 spec'd Honda right now. Runs like a peach.

I'd run it in the summer for sure. I did an oil inventory this weekend and realized I've got 3 years of oil for the Tracker, which I won't use up, so I'm going to run 5W30 for in the Focus for a while.

When I first bought my Fusion with the 2.3 Duratech and my Focus 2.0 Duratech I used M1 5-30. After a couple of OCs I switched to M1 0-20 and never looked back. I noticed the engines revved freer, started a little quicker in very cold temps, and the mileage bumped up at least 1 mpg. Win win with 0-20.

In my '07 Focus with the Duratec 20, I did use 5w30 once. Noticed no difference at all. I have to say that the Duratec 20, in my experience, was the least picky about oil of any engine I've owned. All oils sounded/felt the same, and I used many different oils.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
When you start that thing in cold weather, the 5W-20 in it is far heavier than 10W-30 will be during the summer. Use it without a second thought.

I wish more people could come to this realization. 10-30 in summer time is THINNER than 5-20's in cold climates. I live in south TX and 10-30 is perfect here.

I will switch back to 0w-20 when winter rolls around. I don't expect to see too much of a fuel economy difference. I'm not convinced that lighter oil does much for fuel economy - except in extreme cold. I'll give it a shot!

I also have some T6 hanging out. I should mix the two together
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
When I first bought my Fusion with the 2.3 Duratech and my Focus 2.0 Duratech I used M1 5-30. After a couple of OCs I switched to M1 0-20 and never looked back. I noticed the engines revved freer, started a little quicker in very cold temps, and the mileage bumped up at least 1 mpg. Win win with 0-20.

I felt the difference between T6 and 5w-30 conventional in my Jeep 4.0. I'm not a spirited driver, though. Would be interesting to see how it affects the engine.

Seriously guys, please.....you all act like anything thicker than 5W-30 is voo-doo evil. It's ridiculous to the point of insanity. I have no problem with thin oils, but this thin oil supremacy is stupid. Use the 10W-30 and forget it. Use 10w-40, and you won't notice a difference. All of these perceptions are in your head only. Oil is oil, pick a brand you like and use it. Or buy what's what's on sale. Or let the quick lube do it. Just stop being irrational.

Last edited:
Generally i would agree with Red91, but I am assuming the OP will not be running the oil into dec/jan where -20F might not be uncommon in his area in the morning.

10W-30 is good for -25F. Just saying. Again, I have nothing against thin oils, but my goodness, it's like cursing in church if you recommend anything heavier than 5W-30. I used it in QSAD flavor for two OCI's, and would have kept on if oil consumption hadn't been so high. So I went to QSHM 10W-40. So far it's doing great.

Miller88,
Get you a clear Mason jar and fill it up 1/2 way with 10W-30 and put in next to your computer. I say "put it next to your computer" because I know it'll be warmer than zero degrees Fahrenheit there. OK, now pick the jar up and slosh the oil around a little bit. What do you see? Do you see a liquid as thick as honey; or do you see an oil moving around very freely?

The above mentioned procedure is what I call "thick oil anxiety therapy."
grin2.gif

+1.....What are you trying to accomplish? Just getting rid of the 10w30 you have on hand?

Agree with tig1.....0w20 is the way to go on the 2.3 Duratec....year round. We are talking about less than $10 in oil...just sell it or better yet, give it to someone. 0w20 will give you better start-up in winter, get slightly better MPG, and run your engine smooth and peppy, and should give you an OCI of 8-10K easily.

You can purchase M1 0w20 at Walmart right now for $23.88....and get a $12 REBATE (Mobil 1.org) website for this promotion. You must purchase by 5/30

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The above mentioned procedure is what I call "thick oil anxiety therapy."
grin2.gif

Put a couple oils in the deep freeze overnight for an alternative comparison.

It is clearly affecting gas mileage ...

SMPqvAG.jpg

Can't tell the car runs any smoother, though.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's gonna grenade!
15.gif

It's totally fine, I'd just change it out by November or so.

That will be 6000 miles so I'll change it out then.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

+1.....What are you trying to accomplish? Just getting rid of the 10w30 you have on hand?

Agree with tig1.....0w20 is the way to go on the 2.3 Duratec....year round. We are talking about less than $10 in oil...just sell it or better yet, give it to someone. 0w20 will give you better start-up in winter, get slightly better MPG, and run your engine smooth and peppy, and should give you an OCI of 8-10K easily.

You can purchase M1 0w20 at Walmart right now for $23.88....and get a $12 REBATE (Mobil 1.org) website for this promotion. You must purchase by 5/30

Pretty much just to use it up. I'm a fan of 0w-20 in it, have used it for probably 1/2 of the oil changes in the car. I have Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0w-20 that I got for $5/jug that will be used for the next OCI in November or so to November 2016. Was due for a change and decided to use up this temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back