UOA - 2000 Ford Falcon 4.0 Valvoline 10w30 7000km

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valvoline Engine Armour 10w30 + 2/3 bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 @7,000km. 205k on engine at time of sample.
It's a pretty basic test but it looks like that intermittent slight knocking on cold starts isn't much to worry about yet!
Iron - 4
Copper - 4
Aluminum - 2
Lead - 1
Silicon - 20
Sodium - 253
Fuel - 0.1%

Not sure if this can be read properly as it is a screenshot.
Wear metals are looking really good despite the report coming back as 'caution', but this is because of the high sodium levels, which is used in Valvoline's add pack so no worries there.
Silicon was a bit high because i found the crankcase breather hose off near the end of this OCI and unfiltered air was being drawn into the engine.
Water was 0.1%, nothing drastic but interesting since I do a lot of highway trips.
Viscosity was said to be high too which could be down to the MoS2 additive?

If they are using KV40 to describe viscosity, they are going to be wrong a lot of the time.

The moly is reputed to have an SAE30 base oil, which is likely around 100cst at 40 in the first place.

Yeah the MoS2 always flows exactly the same as 30 weights when I use them.
This one cost $32.50 which isn't bad but it is quite a basic test. I would like more info but I'm not complaining as long as I get the main numbers like iron, bearing metals and fuel. And in this case I'm really pleased with the results!
I don't know if the low wear metals were aided by the MoS2 because I do drive it fairly hard at times (I was cringing when I got the email - smiling when I read the results!)
I have done a run without mos2 and then next OCI I'll go without mos2 again and get a UOA on that run and see if wear metals are effected

Cheers, just after asking the cost I saw another thread about UOA's in Oz, with some prices listed...d'oh! Off topic - did you end up getting the quarter panel fixed?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Cheers, just after asking the cost I saw another thread about UOA's in Oz, with some prices listed...d'oh! Off topic - did you end up getting the quarter panel fixed?
haha can you guide me to that thread please?
And yeah well... kinda... Had a go myself and it's a bit rough! :p

I hammered it out from the inside, bogged it and gave it a quick but thick spray, it's only an old Falcon hey! Replaced the taillight too obviously

Mate, that looks great! I know digital photography can be a little "flattering", but I think you've done an awesome job! Seriously man, kudos
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Jacob, done good on the bodywork mate.

Thanks! Was my first time even attempting it and I could have probably done it a lot better if I took the time to sand back that last layer and apply another thin layer of bog, and also letting the layers of primer, paint and clear coat cure a bit more, did it all in a few hours cause I was using the car to drive away for the week and wanted it done ASAP, kinda wish I waited til I got back and spent a little more time and effort on it! Hahah still it's not that bad
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Mate, that looks great! I know digital photography can be a little "flattering", but I think you've done an awesome job! Seriously man, kudos
smile.gif

Cheers! I may add I tried buffing it a few hours after haha slight mistake! And yeah it is a little flattering but it didn't look too different in person.
I had some matte black wrap lying around so I have a thick 30cm wide strip over it covering where the new and old paints meet! Looks like an old RT Challenger!

Vertical racing stripes, definitely Chrysler inspired! The only way to learn is to have a crack though, maybe in the future you'll find time to re-do the bits you aren't happy with, i.e., rub it back, give it another skim of filler, paint it over a couple of days. I've been trying to improve my painting for the last 20 years, with little success...best stick to the spanners methinks! Sorry for the thread derailment.

Yeah that's what I thought after I did it, might do the other side too!
Yeah my uncle is a professional panel beater and he said I can drive up one weekend and he will show me how to do it properly. Once he has fixed the thousands of dents on a brand new Mazda 2 that was caught in a massive hailstorm!
Yep I prefer spanners to spray paint but I want to keep this thing running for a long while, this UOA has give me confidence that the engine at least should!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back