Mobil semi-synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 5w20 oil change today at a local Columbus, Ohio Honda dealer. They claim to use Mobil semisynthetic oil.
I have not found anything about this oil. When I asked the service advisor he finally told me it was bulk Mobil
5000 with a special additive pack made for their dealership. Now my question is, is this a bunch off hooey or
Does this sound legit? Wouldn't they have to have an MSDS for this special blend? Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably bought tons and dropped like a quarts of redline
crackmeup2.gif

Not a fan of stealerships.

Example: here instead of using high moly 0w20 Mazda they use some cheap blend.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Probably Mobil Super High Mileage as thats a syn blend.

According to their new website, this is not a blend. Even though it says so on the back of the bottles, in comparison thumbnail images.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-high-mileage

'...Mobil Super High Mileage premium conventional oils offer outstanding wear protection under a wide variety of operating conditions, and they have been proven to fight sludge and help reduce wear...'

Special additive pack made for their dealership??!! ...now that is rich. I bet people drive from miles around just to get their special blend.

All ILSAC GF5 "conventional" RC oils must be partially synthetic (if you call grpIII synthetic) to pass muster. Many have grpV ester for the CAFE boost.

Remember GF5 "conventional" is up specd for turbo/OLM use.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: volk06
Probably Mobil Super High Mileage as thats a syn blend.

According to their new website, this is not a blend. Even though it says so on the back of the bottles, in comparison thumbnail images.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-high-mileage

'...Mobil Super High Mileage premium conventional oils offer outstanding wear protection under a wide variety of operating conditions, and they have been proven to fight sludge and help reduce wear...'

Its a syn blend. Even says so on the bottles. This is from the PDS " Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives to help provide long engine life and outstanding protection for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles. Formulated with seal conditioner, Mobil Super High Mileage helps prevent leaks and reduce oil consumption. "

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_High_Mileage.aspx

Arco is right but that is not the crux here. The issue is whether the oil used is one marketed as a Blend. As Volk06 and i have shown, there is conflicting information here at best. As per Volk06, the PDS and bottle say it is. Per my information from Mobil's new website and calling their tech support, it isn't.

Who knows...

You're getting Mobil dino mixed with a load of horse [censored] from the dealer.

I'd find another dealer.

If they will lie about something that simple, just imagine what your next repair visit will be like.

Originally Posted By: burchster13
Probably bulk Mobil Special. That's what my local quick lube uses.

Which means the oil in the OP's Honda is just fine and there is no reason why he should not continue to use this dealer if that represents value to him.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: burchster13
Probably bulk Mobil Special. That's what my local quick lube uses.

Which means the oil in the OP's Honda is just fine and there is no reason why he should not continue to use this dealer if that represents value to him.

I would have issue if told one thing and sold something else. Could it be an honest mistake? Sure, but why are mistakes always in the dealership's favor...

What did this Columbus Ohio dealer charge you?
Do it yourself and save time, money and aggravation.
No more mystery oils and unknown filters.
Only the oil and filter you decide the car should get.
Simple.

Originally Posted By: erch
Got a 5w20 oil change today at a local Columbus, Ohio Honda dealer. They claim to use Mobil semisynthetic oil.
I have not found anything about this oil. When I asked the service advisor he finally told me it was bulk Mobil
5000 with a special additive pack made for their dealership. Now my question is, is this a bunch off hooey or
Does this sound legit? Wouldn't they have to have an MSDS for this special blend? Thanks.

I thought all 5W-20 had a percentage of Group 3, thus qualifying it as semi-syn.

$18.95 for the oil change. That's why I think it is Mobil 5000 and nothing much more.

At that price, though, you did get what you paid for.
Nothing wrong with that oil, although you could do better with a little shopping if you changed it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back