Going out on a limb with a new article...

Status
Not open for further replies.
31EOdnFxeIL.jpg

Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine
Helps prevent leaks in vehicles with over 75,000 miles

Specially formulated for cars with over 75,000 miles, Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 reconditions engine parts and gives your vehicle staying power, helping to keep it performing at its best.
Reduces oil consumption caused by leaky seals
Resists oil-related spark plug fouling
Resists oil-related intake valve deposits
Helps protect engine parts from wear and harmful deposits

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
[2.) How can the average driver, without any training in lubricant chemistry, determine the efficacy of any additive?

The way I do it. If the leak stops, its a win. If the engine stops blowing smoke, its a win. If consumption is reduced, its a win. If lifters stop making noise, its a win.

Not rocket science.

I am a fan of MMO, but and but, Many of us are victims of:

" Step right up folks and buy Papa Joe's Red Bottle of Magic Engine Clean and Oil Lube. Five bottles for 19.95 makes your cars engine come alive...."

Now really, that is what we are looking for....
13.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
[2.) How can the average driver, without any training in lubricant chemistry, determine the efficacy of any additive?

The way I do it. If the leak stops, its a win. If the engine stops blowing smoke, its a win. If consumption is reduced, its a win. If lifters stop making noise, its a win.

Not rocket science.

Exactly.
If you have at least a little knowledge and you're trying to resolve a known problem, then there are oil additives out there that may well work.
Maybe the OP and Mola were writing more of those miracles in a can that are advertised and promoted for use with every oil change?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If the leak stops, its a win. If the engine stops blowing smoke, its a win. If consumption is reduced, its a win. If lifters stop making noise, its a win.

Not rocket science.

Exactly!!!! Then if the product doesn't work either fix it, have it fixed, live with it, or sell the vehicle. Certainly not rocket science.

If it does work you're a winner, and if you share your positive experiences here beware.......................
27.gif

On the contrary, if you try a product to resolve a problem, then you should post whatever results you have, good or otherwise.
That enables those of us who'd rather read than bash to determine what might work if we run into a similar problem.
Ignore those who seek merely to troll or to bash.
As you've often written of MMO, those who haven't tried it, as I haven't, are in no position to speak well or ill of it.
I for one know that I'd much rather try an inexpensive dose of Kreen or Berryman's as a first resort than to contemplate a field overhaul of an engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
On the contrary, if you try a product to resolve a problem, then you should post whatever results you have, good or otherwise.
That enables those of us who'd rather read than bash to determine what might work if we run into a similar problem.
Ignore those who seek merely to troll or to bash.
As you've often written of MMO, those who haven't tried it, as I haven't, are in no position to speak well or ill of it.
I for one know that I'd much rather try an inexpensive dose of Kreen or Berryman's as a first resort than to contemplate a field overhaul of an engine.

You are someone with an open mind willing to try something. I respect that and enjoy reading your posts. All I was doing is issuing a warning, based on what can happen here when posting positively or negatively about any additive.

Me as I get older I work smarter. I'll reach for the miracle in a can first, then rip something apart as a last resort. I saved a ton doing just that! As a result of reading here, I learned about Kreen, and plan on giving Rislone a try.

If you've had a particular problem and you found an add that solves it, I'd have to be a fool not to take advantage of what you've learned.
The purpose of this site should be to share information and experience.
I agree with you that we should all aspire to work smarter.
Part of working smarter is to learn from the solutions that other members have found.
The OP is this thread was off base in what he asserted.
Not all oil adds are worthless, as most of us already know.
That's why I called him on it.

If you've had a particular problem and you found an add that solves it, I'd have to be a fool not to take advantage of what you've learned.
The purpose of this site should be to share information and experience.
I agree with you that we should all aspire to work smarter.
Part of working smarter is to learn from the solutions that other members have found.
The OP is this thread was off base in what he asserted.
Not all oil adds are worthless, as most of us already know.
That's why I called him on it.

We agree on all points! I just waved a caution flag about posting in this section that's all.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Gasp! The blasphemy!
Dozens of Marvel Miracle Mystery fluid fans are gnashing their teeth figuring out how to defend their favorite snake oil product.

grin.gif

Herpetological Formula ... I just made the Snake (oil) connection. I can be a bit dense sometimes ...

Steve, I always enjoyed your writing on TTAC. I was always a lurker only though ... I far prefer the forum culture here at BITOG. There's a great group of people here.

I have found a few additives to helpful, and use them regularly. I've tried many over the years, and agree that many do not deliver what they promise.

...Maybe the OP and Mola were writing more of those miracles in a can that are advertised and promoted for use with every oil change?..

I have no idea what you are referring to, besides, I do not know the OP.

Maybe you can clarify.
confused2.gif

Last edited:

...Maybe the OP and Mola were writing more of those miracles in a can that are advertised and promoted for use with every oil change?..

I have no idea what you are referring to, besides, I do not know the OP.

Maybe you can clarify.
confused2.gif

You and the OP both wrote of your disdain for oil adds, although your posts were connected by no more than this thread.
I don't think that I implied that you were acquainted.
You have consistently advised against the use of OTS oil additives as a routine measure, since their effects on a fully formulated oil's performance are unknown and unlikely to be positive.
You've also occassionally sanctioned the use of OTS adds in an attempt to address a specific problem, particularly Rislone.
The only oil additive I've ever used is ARX, although I would consider soemthing else if the need arose in one of my engines.
Probably won't, since I use good quality oils on conservative drain intervals.
Anyway, my only point was that you have consistently advised against the routine use of additives to improve oil performance and the OP of this thread said that all additives were snake oil.
I for one do actually read what you post and I also understand and appreciate the level of expertise you bring here.

Quote:
You have consistently advised against the use of OTS oil additives as a routine measure, since their effects on a fully formulated oil's performance are unknown and unlikely to be positive...

Ok, I see where you're coming from.

SL said:

Quote:
I get that there are situations where you can’t afford the repair and that bottle is the last chance before the car becomes a junker.

and,

Quote:
So do yourself a big favor. When you see some snake oil at the auto part store promising you things that not even the most advanced lubricants can do these days, save your money. Better yet, repair your car the right way and invest in a healthy future without car payments. You’re already putting the right stuff in your car.

So just to clarify, what I think what he he is saying is this:

1. Sometimes you have to use an OTC additive when the car is on its way out (such as a smoker might need Motor Honey, STP, or a thicker oil, etc.) as a "last ditch" effort and,

2. In bold italics above, OTC additives which promise more than the best engine oils should be avoided, and investing in a repair job and using good engine oils is actually cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
You've also occassionally sanctioned the use of OTS adds in an attempt to address a specific problem, particularly Rislone.

Yes, and usually as a "last ditch" effort as well when the problem could not be immediately addressed by a mechanic.

MY caution has always been that most OTC additives, while not showing any immediate harm, should not be used as a long term fix for a mechanical problem, and that usage in the long term may well be harmful.

Unfortunately, most OTC additives are simply extra income streams for marketers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back