Best Technical Properties and/or UOA for TDI BEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in TN and don't have inspections so I could care less about removing my emissions equipment, all I want is the best wear protection and so far the best recommendations have been Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 or Royal Purple HPS 5w30. I really don't know how to compare the technical properties and UOA of these oils with the VW 505.01 spec oils, but if someone could bottom line it I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by many searching google. Thanks in advance.

Knowing some application information would help very much. What make, model, engine size, type of fuel, OEM recommendations, OCI, and driving habits are we dealing with here?

M1 TDT 5w-40 and RP HPS 5w-30 are rather vastly different oils.

Basically I'm trying to get better wear protection than the VW spec 505.01 or 507 which some TDI Pump Duse owners like to call liquid death because the UOA shows the wear protection is "scary low." That being said I have no concern for my emissions equipment and could easily remove it if need be. I just want the wear protection of the 80s Mercedes-Benz diesels that went a million miles in the Guinness Book of Worlds Records. Yes I know they held 2 gallons of oil but they also only allowed a 2% soot level. I will be changing my oil ever 5k and have no interest in the extended oil change oils or low SAPS oils.

Garak thanks for pointing out the M1 TDT and RP HPS are vastly different because I don't know how to compare the Technical Properties or UOA effectively. The RP tech said their HPS 5w30 would be the best wear protection, but I'm open to better suggestions with hard facts of course. I see everyone throws out Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 but let's see the numbers and how they compare. I wish this site was like tirerack with survey charts and test result charts so you could easily compare.

This is an automatic daily driver for short 20 minute trips, stop and go low rpm use.

Last edited:
Something like the RP HPS would be a possible winter choice and does have decent anti-wear content, but is thinner than what is normally used in a TDI, and really doesn't have much in the way of diesel specifications. For example, my old Audi 200 gasser had 5w-30 as an allowable grade, particularly in winter, with 15w-40 the preferred grade through most "reasonable" winter temperatures (i.e. not Saskatchewan). I experimented a bit with it and found it drank the 5w-30 fairly heavily. I had few problems with the 15w-40.

I also experimented with Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and Royal Purple 0w-40 (A3/B3 A3/B4 type lube) in all weather conditions, and found both to work well. The Mobil 1 TDT is of similar operational viscosity to these two options and also to T6.

I would stick to something with an HTHS of 3.5 or greater, with a preference for an approved lube. Others here are much more experienced with the approved lubes for your vehicle. If I were in your shoes and decided to venture out of spec, it wouldn't be as far as a thin gasoline type 5w-30, even though the anti-wear compound levels are fairly high in the RP HPS. Royal Purple does offer Euro type 0w-40 and 5w-40 (the latter has the Synerlec additive), along with HDEOs and a 10w-40. Of course, there are many approved lubes, not to mention various HDEOs in 5w-40.

Thanks for the input and hope some others chime in too. At this point I have the Total INEO MC3 that meets the 505.01 and will be changing in a few thousand more miles so I have plenty of time to hear everyone out. My main issue with the spec oil is its known as the liquid death cam grinder on the TDI forums.

Last edited:
If you got rid of emissions equipment I would use something like Amsoil 3000 5w30. Without emissions use strongest additive pack oil. One member here used Neo 0w5 and redline 5w20 for 25000 miles in tdi without emissions. It may not have been pump duse though

Thanks, Amsoil Tech recommended their European formula, but that's with emissions.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Something like the RP HPS would be a possible winter choice and does have decent anti-wear content, but is thinner than what is normally used in a TDI, and really doesn't have much in the way of diesel specifications. For example, my old Audi 200 gasser had 5w-30 as an allowable grade, particularly in winter, with 15w-40 the preferred grade through most "reasonable" winter temperatures (i.e. not Saskatchewan). I experimented a bit with it and found it drank the 5w-30 fairly heavily. I had few problems with the 15w-40.

I also experimented with Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and Royal Purple 0w-40 (A3/B3 A3/B4 type lube) in all weather conditions, and found both to work well. The Mobil 1 TDT is of similar operational viscosity to these two options and also to T6.

I would stick to something with an HTHS of 3.5 or greater, with a preference for an approved lube. Others here are much more experienced with the approved lubes for your vehicle. If I were in your shoes and decided to venture out of spec, it wouldn't be as far as a thin gasoline type 5w-30, even though the anti-wear compound levels are fairly high in the RP HPS. Royal Purple does offer Euro type 0w-40 and 5w-40 (the latter has the Synerlec additive), along with HDEOs and a 10w-40. Of course, there are many approved lubes, not to mention various HDEOs in 5w-40.

Just got 35% off at pep boys and a $60 rebate from Mobil for 5 gallons Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40.

I run Schaeffers 9000 5w40 in the wifes TDI. I generally run 15k mile OCI but last time went a little over to 16,960 miles (she puts a lot of miles on this car). The oil holds up excellent to long service intervals. Total make up oil was less than 1 quart in almost 17k miles, and still had over 1/3 of the remaining TBN and viscosity was right on the mark. I realize that my older rotory style inj pump engine is not the greatest comparison and is easier on oil than the pump duse but you could easily run the recommended service intervals, and possibly longer depending on the circumstances with no worries. Schaeffer makes a premium oil.
I also run this oil in both my 98 and 13 Cummins, which both routinely see heavy towing. The 13 gets the OEM service intervals but I run 15k mile intervals on the 98 as well.

Originally Posted By: Marisa
Originally Posted By: Garak

Just got 35% off at pep boys and a $60 rebate from Mobil for 5 gallons Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40.

That's also a great oil, and a great price. It should work very well for your intended use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back