Time it takes pressure to build after OCI (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit 130K in my Accord today...YAY! I was waiting to hit that number before I changed my oil, planning on doing 5K OCI's from here on out pending UOA results. The oil was in for 5100 miles and some change / 7.5 months, the OLM was at 20% but certainly near 15% which is when it will alert you to change the oil out. This is the LONGEST I have ever gone, about twice as long as usual. I drained the M1 AFE 0w20 and put in TGMO 0w20 along with a fresh Fram Ultra XG7317. I do believe in pre-filling my oil filters, it filled this one to the brim and let the oil soak in well. Some oil did spill out when installing the filter but at least I knew it was full. Here is a little video I took to time how long it takes the oil pressure light to go off, honestly this isn't but a split second longer than it usually takes. Just wanted to share my experience, feel free to comment on yours! How long does it take your vehicle to build up oil pressure after an oil change?

Then I had to wash my car and clean the interior because I just couldn't give it a fresh oil/filter change and leave it semi dirty
wink.gif
I also filled up the gas tank with some V-Power for kicks.
20150518_1029121_zpschqxkfcf.jpg

20150518_1401121_zpsbbwrtthh.jpg

I pre-fill my filters as well. Doesn't hurt a thing and possibly helps. Plus my filter location is completely up and down. No angle to it so no spillage.

I always pre-fill my filters when they go on - but since the filter is slightly at an angle, I only fill about 85% full, just up to the bottom of the internal threads. Never had a drop spill that way. The way I see it, I can't hurt, and probably helps keep the wear down.

Since you guys are BITOGers you surely warm the engine before you drain, in the short amount of time the oil is out and the new oil & filter are in what do you think will go dry and wear on startup? Not dissing pre-filling at all just wondering?

Your accord is barely broke in!
smile.gif
Come back in another hundred thousand...

Oil does take some time to fill the system, but at idle speeds its no big deal as the surfaces still have oil on them protecting them until it pressurizes.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Your accord is barely broke in!
smile.gif
Come back in another hundred thousand...

Oil does take some time to fill the system, but at idle speeds its no big deal as the surfaces still have oil on them protecting them until it pressurizes.

Hopefully that will be the case! She has a few quirks but overall mechanically sound.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Since you guys are BITOGers you surely warm the engine before you drain, in the short amount of time the oil is out and the new oil & filter are in what do you think will go dry and wear on startup? Not dissing pre-filling at all just wondering?

Yes, I drove it for about 10-15 miles before the oil was drained. Pre-filling it just gets oil to the engine that much quicker than if the pump had to fill the filter, then move on to the engine. Its BITOG, splitting hairs is what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back