Honda OEM oil filter quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 V6 Accord and have always used Honda oil filters. Would switching to a NAPA Gold(WIX) give just as good or better performance/protection to the engine? Which is the better/higher quality filter? Many thanks!

The blue OEM Honda filter (dont know part # off hand) for my wife's 07 fit 1.5 i4 is a rebadged fram orange can. I've always ran Mobil 1 m1-110 filters on her car until recently switching to the amsoil ea15k13. Was not impressed by the Honda filter. I would take a wix/napa over the Honda any day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slackwolf
The blue OEM Honda filter (dont know part # off hand) for my wife's 07 fit 1.5 i4 is a rebadged fram orange can. I've always ran Mobil 1 m1-110 filters on her car until recently switching to the amsoil ea15k13. Was not impressed by the Honda filter.

It's a repackaged Fram Tough Guard but with different media.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The blue OEM Honda filter (dont know part # off hand) for my wife's 07 fit 1.5 i4 is a rebadged fram orange can. I've always ran Mobil 1 m1-110 filters on her car until recently switching to the amsoil ea15k13. Was not impressed by the Honda filter.

Was of the understanding from most of the Honda forums that the media and end caps was indetical to the orange can as the tg had the synthetic blend media, Honda filter does not (same media as extra guard). So what makes it a repackaged tg if media is same as eg?

I run the Fram Ultra on my Acura & Dodge in signature for atleast 15 thousand miles of service with no worries. Cant beat them for 8 bucks and some change at Wally World -- while your there pick up a good 5quart container of the synthetic thats on rebate/sale or just head right over to the QSUD and pick the weight of your choice with no worries moving forward. Conversation topic -- finished!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Was of the understanding from most of the Honda forums that the media and end caps was indetical to the orange can as the tg had the synthetic blend media, Honda filter does not (same media as extra guard). So what makes it a repackaged tg if media is same as eg?

The Honda OE version has some of the metal reinforcement and silicone adbv that are found in the Tough Guard. Also, I believe the Honda OE's media is not related to any of the OTC Fram filters since the Amsoil filter efficiency test showed a much lower efficiency level than the Extra Guard filters.

The media is completely different than either the TG or EG. Honda specs their filters to filter 66% at 20 microns, much different than either the TG or EG.

Bad information, as mentioned already the Honda by Fram is very similar to the Tough Guard in construction (due to Honda's longer recommended OCI's I presume) although the media is made to Honda's specs so it is likely much lower efficiency than the Tough Guard.

Also, both the Tough Guard AND the orange can have synthetic blended media, the TG about 35% and the orange can about 20% IIRC.

Here's my personal list of oil filters for my 2007 Honda Ridgeline.

Baldwin B1402
Beck Arnley 041-8135
Bosch 3323
Carquest 85356
Denso 150-1009
Hastings LF240
Honda 15400-PLM-A01A OEM
Mahle OC707
Mann ML1008
Motorcraft FL-822
NAPA Gold 7356
Purolator Pure One PL14610
Union Sangyo C-562
Wix 57356

Many of these filters are available online for less than $5.00 (Zoro, Oscaro, etc.) and will provide solid performance unless your OC exceeds 7,500 miles or so. My Honda's OCI usually is 5K, so personally I don't believe in spending more than $5-6 for an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Bad information, as mentioned already the Honda by Fram is very similar to the Tough Guard in construction (due to Honda's longer recommended OCI's I presume) although the media is made to Honda's specs so it is likely much lower efficiency than the Tough Guard.

Also, both the Tough Guard AND the orange can have synthetic blended media, the TG about 35% and the orange can about 20% IIRC.

Really? The last A02 I took off the fit after the dealer ripped the bumper, the media had the same fiber end caps as the extra guard. No different than what a lot of folks on various Honda forums saw as well. The older A01 variants made by different manufacturer did have construction similar to a tg, but not the A02 that the dealers have been providing for a while. None around here have had an A01 at least for 4 years or so.

https://youtu.be/qpzykhkH1oo

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3076865/1

Also, right on fram's website; Tough guard says: "Synthetic-Blend filter media technology provides protection for oil change intervals up to 10,000 miles"

While the extra guard says:
"Cellulose and Glass blended media provides protection for oil change intervals up to 5,000 miles"

They are both a blend, but apparently to fram, cellulose and glass blend is not the same as their synthetic blend, correct? Granted, fiberglass is technically a synthetic material. The Honda media is pretty much straight cellulose.

Last edited:
.......as mentioned already the Honda by Fram is very similar to the Tough Guard in construction....although the media is made to Honda's specs so it is likely much lower efficiency than the Tough Guard......

This.

Before Amsoil ISO test A02 'assumed' to be identical to TG because of construction similarities. However since, with A02 testing ~66%@20um, media obviously different than TG's.

A01, different construction (no endcap) and manufacturer. Efficiency unknown though likely similar range as A02.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
.......as mentioned already the Honda by Fram is very similar to the Tough Guard in construction....although the media is made to Honda's specs so it is likely much lower efficiency than the Tough Guard......

This.

Before Amsoil ISO test A02 'assumed' to be identical to TG because of construction similarities. However since, with A02 testing ~66%@20um, media obviously different than TG's.

A01, different construction (no endcap) and manufacturer. Efficiency unknown though likely similar range as A02.

Just noticed the extra guard just had the black nitrile ADBV. Some reason I assumed all of the frams now were running the silicone and assumed the TG had the metal end caps over fiber. Other than the ADBV material, what makes it more related to the TG if the media is similiar cellulose makeup to the extra guard, but lower efficiency? Kinda splitting hairs here on similarity as both extra guard and tough guard are higher efficiency than the Honda. Media construction is closer to extra guard than tough guard, adbv is same as the TG.

Quote:
So does the WIX/Napa Gold flow or filter better then the OEM Honda oil filter?

First, no need to be concerned about oil filter flow in pc use. I've not seen a filter posted on this board that didn't have more than enough flow. Bottom line, flow is an insignificant consideration in pc use.

As for the Wix/NapaGold 5/7356 for majority Hondas, currently running one on a 3.0L Accord. It's rated efficiency is ~95%@20um which is significantly better than the A02. Currently my go to filter in that application as they can be obtained for ~$3.60 at my local Napa semi annual NG sale.

Quote:
So does the WIX/Napa Gold flow or filter better then the OEM Honda oil filter?

First, no need to be concerned about oil filter flow in pc use. I've not seen a filter posted on this board that didn't have more than enough flow. Bottom line, flow is an insignificant consideration in pc use.

As for the Wix/NapaGold 5/7356 for majority Hondas, currently running one on a 3.0L Accord. It's rated efficiency is ~95%@20um which is significantly better than the A02. Currently my go to filter in that application as they can be obtained for ~$3.60 at my local Napa semi annual NG sale.

What is "PC" use? Is the A02 the Honda OEM filter? What is 95%@20um again? I'm not really familure with these filter terms. Thanks!

^^^^PC = passenger car. Taken from the sub forum here that is at the top of bitog under lubrication and general auto, also known as PCMO, passenger car motor oil board.

A02 is the part number suffix used on the Fram made Honda OEM filter option noted several times in this thread.

Wix/Napa Gold 5/7356 'beta' ratio is 2/20=6/20, which, 'in short' means 95% efficient at removing/filtering 20 micron size and larger particles.

^^^^PC = passenger car. Taken from the sub forum here that is at the top of bitog under lubrication and general auto, also known as PCMO, passenger car motor oil board.

A02 is the part number suffix used on the Fram made Honda OEM filter option noted several times in this thread.

Wix/Napa Gold 5/7356 'beta' ratio is 2/20=6/20, which, 'in short' means 95% efficient at removing/filtering 20 micron size and larger particles.

Thanks a lot man!! Was under anesthesia early today for let surgery so I'm a bit out of it still. I'll re read this thread in a day or 2. Appreciate the info again!

If you are going to follow Honda's recommendation of changing the filter every 2nd oil change (the "B" service), I would get a Fram Ultra , M1, or Napa Platinum. I've used the FU and M1 in our Accord V6 with excellent results. All of these filters are designed for 15K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back