Dealer or local independent for transfer case leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Rav4 has a transfer case leak. From research on the internet, it could be a very expensive >$1200 repair that we won't be getting if the tranny has to be pulled. We'll limp along for a year and buy a new Rav4.

Or it could be a relatively inexpensive <$200 repair to replace a transfer case shaft seal. This repair is beyond my ability. Is this a common enough repair that the local tire and brakes and repair place can fix it or should I take this to the dealer? Or maybe a local tranny shop?

How bad is the leak? I usually would say the proper repair is the best but if you are turning over the vehicle gamble a few $$$ and see is a stop leak would get you to new vehicle time.

Check the dealer prices you should be better off at an honest transmission shop. PM me if you are in northern nj i can recommend someone or at least direct you in the right direction.

I drained the fluid a couple weeks ago and collected about 24 ounces. The case holds 30 ounces. The leak is getting worse. It used to just coat the cooling fins of the transfer case but now there is some drippage on the garage floor. If it is the expensive repair, my plan was to top off the transfer case at every oil change.

I'm in southern NJ but I work in Manville.

This is just a possibility, but...

Are you filling it with 24 ounces, or 30 ounces? 6 ounces may still be up in the case depending on how it was designed, in which case you may be overfilling it, and the over fill is leaking out the vent when it gets hot during operation.

I don't know the design, but it may be you don't have a leak at all...
Cheers
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
This is just a possibility, but...

Are you filling it with 24 ounces, or 30 ounces? 6 ounces may still be up in the case depending on how it was designed, in which case you may be overfilling it, and the over fill is leaking out the vent when it gets hot during operation.

I don't know the design, but it may be you don't have a leak at all...
Cheers
smile.gif

There's a leak. It's on my garage floor. It's simple case. It looks like a box. There is a drain and fill plug. 24 ounces drained out. I filled it with 30 ounces via a hose in the fill hole and then it overflowed.

It could be leaking from the vent; the whole case is covered in oil and Toyota has a TSB about a leaking vent due to a faulty bearing retainer No. 2 oil seal.

Independent drivetrain shop; not the dealer or 'general corner fixit guy'

A drivetrain shop probably has seen a bunch and can 'plug and chug' with all the lessons learned in their back pocket.

The best one around here is 20 miles away; if you fix it, they will come.

Last edited:
If a dealer is most convenient for you, have them evaluate it and quote you a price. I haven't had too many dealer fixes in the past 20yrs that I had to pay for (non-warranty), but those that I did, they were happy to negotiate, use aftermarket parts where they could, etc.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If a dealer is most convenient for you, have them evaluate it and quote you a price. I haven't had too many dealer fixes in the past 20yrs that I had to pay for (non-warranty), but those that I did, they were happy to negotiate, use aftermarket parts where they could, etc.

Around here, you would be in for $100 just for a dealer to look at it. That normally goes away when a repair is authorized.

Take it to a differential or drivetrain or transmission shop. They might even have the best prices.

The big thing regarding this fix (according to the TSB) is the book labor costs 13.6 (A/T) or 11.5 (M/T) ... the parts don't add up to that much. If you can find an independent that specializes in Toyota, you should be able to save some costs on labor.

One guy on the RAV4 forum said this worked ... is it worth it to try this?
1) Purchase a can of flexible rubber leak repair spray and a can of brake cleaner
2) Clean all oil residue from transfer casing
3) Mask off areas you don't want to get the rubber spray on
4) Apply two thin coats of the rubber leak repair sealant and allow to set for about 1/2 hour
5) Start/drive car to let bake even more (note: you will smell the coating for a few days when you stand outside & near the engine area)."

Spray the area with brake clean, then determine where the leak is coming from. If its just the output shaft seal (very likey) they are about %15 and if you don't want to do it, and shop would do that repair for little in fees.

I would not attempt the rubber spray fix from above.

I read about the rubber spray. There is a cross member of steel that is bolted across the bottom of the undercarriage and it blocks a lot of the transfer case. I had my cordless battery impact wrench on the bolts to remover this cross member and they wouldn't budge. So, it's very difficult to try and clean the transfer case to find the leak.

Yeah, 13.5 hrs of labor. That's not going to happen. Top it off and drive on!

The seals are $18 from the local Toyota dealer.

I would go for a good transmission shop. The dealer will be more expensive and would not be any better. Some dealers even farm out work like that to a tranny shop anyway.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would fix it before you burn out the TC is it a torson unit?

I'm a bit ignorant of how part of the vehicle functions. The Rav4 is an AWD/4WD. Everything is automatic. There is no way to put it 4WD like you would on a Jeep. I think it's FWD with power going to the rear only when needed. Sensors tell the tranny when to use 4WD. Not sure if losing the transfer case would render the vehicle undriveable or just knock out the 4WD system.

I found a local tranny shop and will call them.

We did an engine on a 2010 rav 4 about a year and a half ago and while the engine was out my brother who had the transmission shop 2 miles from my engine shop fixed a leak that was coming from a seal and he charged the guy under $300 dollars for the repair. I now remember this because i just asked him about the leak and he said "don't you remember" lol

Bottom line if it leaks slowly leave it alone.

Well, I took the Rav4 to the local transmission shop. The owner called and said the transfer case is leaking but he can't see where it's coming from and needs to pull the transfer case out to see what's wrong. Said $550 to pull it out and put it on a bench and open it up. His estimate was about $150 for parts.

Not going to spend that kind of money on it. I'll be under it every few weeks checking the fluid level. The owner said it's about $1500 to replace the transfer case if it runs dry and the gears burn up.

I'll be stocking up on crush washers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back