2011 Corolla Has had 4 Oil Changes in 4 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy a 2011 Corolla that has only had 4 Oil Changes in 4 Years and has 8,000 miles on it. The longest interval was 14 months and there was another of 13 months. There was about 2500 miles between changes. The oil is 0W20 synthetic done at a Toyota dealer.

All of the miles were driven at low speeds as the vehicle was the property of a small town. This is in Ontario where we get cold winters and not very hot summers.

My question is, Should I worry about buying this car?

0w20 is good for 10,000 miles or 12 months (standard service). in theory 13-14 is a bit too long but you can write toyota and get in writing that warranty is still in effect (for one more year).
i personally would buy it if price was right and you liked the car. i personally couldn't stomach the numb steering in that generation of corolla.

edit: I just remembered toyota considers entire canada severe service, so it should be 5,000 mile or 6 months OCI.

Last edited:
No problem. That engine is barely broken in. With 8000 miles and an annual oil change you are fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
0w20 is good for 10,000 miles or 12 months. in theory 13-14 is a bit too long but you can write toyota and get in writing that warranty is still in effect (for one more year).
i personally would buy it if price was right and you liked the car. i personally couldn't stomach the numb steering in that generation of corolla.

His warranty is 60,000/36 months. So he is out of warranty unless it is a CPO then he is good to 100k/7 years from when the vehicle was sold new.

I live in Canada and Toyota doesn't consider Canada severe service. I've never been told that by a dealer..I just had the oil changed and the next oil service sticker says Nov 14 roughly on the windshield.

Our owners manuals give both options as far as service goes just like you folks.

Although I'm picky & change it every 4 months due to living on an island surrounded by the Atlantic & sesonal temps swings from -30c before wind chills & summers average in the 70's/low 80's & once in awhile around 100.

Have any other Canadians ever been told by Toyota dealers Canada is considered extreme?

You're fine.

S3010050_zpsrjmfxqcz.jpg

This is from a fleet owned car, unknown OCIs, but current sticker. 22 years old, 39k miles, so similar mileage per year.

In fact, I'd jump on the car if you're going to put mileage kilometerage on it. The only thing that might hold me back is if it has 4 years worth of salt corrosion already AND you aren't going to drive it many miles, so the salt would get it.

Thanks for the quick responses. There is still a year left on the powertrain warranty and the dealer said that the long interval between changes does NOT void the warranty.

I bought the car. It will get driven a lot more now.

All this warranty worry is nonsense.

If you keep this car long enough to have engine trouble, the warranty will be long gone anyway.

It sounds like you've got a good car there!

I have 229k miles on my Corolla and I can't tell you if the oil was ever changed the first 24k miles.

To put things into perspective. I bought xy car in 06, and made my first service at 20k km. This interval was as manufacturer recommended, all OC after was performed at 20k too. Now car has 160k, and I'm planning to keep it for a long time. There is taxi service that's using identical cars with same OCI and they have over 500k without issues.
Point of the story is; modern, non sport cars are bulletproof unless you get a lemon. Enjoy your new car.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. They tried to sell me an extended warranty but I replied; "That won't be necessary with a Corolla." That's why we buy them, they outlast any warranty.

worry more about the tires, which you may need to replace earlier than the wear markers esp. if the car was kept outside in the sun

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

edit: I just remembered toyota considers entire canada severe service, so it should be 5,000 mile or 6 months OCI.

That sounds like an oil change place. They all love to advice you on the manufacturer's severe service schedule.

Originally Posted By: heritagehei
Thanks everyone. They tried to sell me an extended warranty but I replied; "That won't be necessary with a Corolla." That's why we buy them, they outlast any warranty.

That's exactly what the dealer said to me. I asked them about an extended warranty for my Sienna and they said yes, they sell them, but I wouldn't need it... it's a Toyota. The same dealer never mentioned it for the Echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back