New boat owner oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I just got a 1989 Celebrity 187 bowrider. It has a 5.7 MerCruiser. I have been reading a lot of post on oil types. I have decided to go with Shell Rotella 15w40. Do I use the T1 straight grade or the Triple protection. Also would it be ok to use an AC Delco oil filter? I believe it will be the PH454. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

I use Rotella T 15W40 in my 87 5.7L Mercruiser. AC Delco filter would be fine. I assume you will be pumping it out, get some kind of fluid extractor. PM me if you have other Mercruiser questions.

Hi, Mike.

Modern recommendation is as follows.

Above 50F: 15w-40
Below 50F: 5w-30

Prefer Delvac 15w-40 myself, but Rotella is fine as well. Have fun on the water!

I run Delvac 15w40 in my twin Crusaders (454's). I also spike up the ZDDP a bit with Redline Break-IN additive. Mercruiser 20w40 oil (what your engine comes with, and what many marina's would service it with) has approximately 1500-1700 ppm of zinc. So, every time I change my oil, half a bottle of their break in additive goes into each engine.

I would not use 5W30 in a marine engine at any time. These engines run very hot oil temps, and a 5W30 will shear down in no time. Might be okay if you only put 10 hours on it.

the 15W40 is fine for any temps you will be using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I would not use 5W30 in a marine engine at any time. These engines run very hot oil temps, and a 5W30 will shear down in no time. Might be okay if you only put 10 hours on it.

Cool story, bro.

Tell me now -- just what oil temperatures do you expect to see in a raw-water cooled, 140°F thermostat, recreational sterndrive in <50°F ambient temps?

If used in salt water, don't forget to check the exhaust manifolds/risers. They are supposed to get replaced about every 5 years if used in salt water. One reason I will never own a 5.7L powered boat.

Thank heaven I have closed cooled manifolds and stainless risers.

I'd stay away from the Mobil 1 15w50. It's a major shear monster and will cut down quick. The Rotella 15w40 is a better option.

Rotella and Delo 15-40 are VERY popular in boating circles. Personally I use Amsoil 15-40. yes, AC filter is good. Fram Ultra is better. (in my humble opinion) because of the constant high rpms. congrats and enjoy your new boat!!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If used in salt water, don't forget to check the exhaust manifolds/risers. They are supposed to get replaced about every 5 years if used in salt water. One reason I will never own a 5.7L powered boat.

Put a flush kit on it to remove salt water. 15 years on mine; checked last year. Just pulled neighbors 454 for transmission and checked manifolds/risers. Good after 12 years and 600 hours

why not a 9.3 liter V8? That's what's in mine. Actually 9.37.

And no risers, either. A real exhaust system with custom headers and mufflers and all so you can actually hear something besides the exhaust...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Cool story, bro.

Tell me now -- just what oil temperatures do you expect to see in a raw-water cooled, 140°F thermostat, recreational sterndrive in

Seeing how the recommended oil is 20w40, it'd be silly to suggest anything with a much lower winter weight than that.

Our boat has the 5.0 Mercruiser. It is the little brother to the 5.7.. Same HP.. just a physically smaller and lighter engine. She's fuel injected too.

Hopefully the beast will get taken out of her cave this weekend. It has an oil temp gauge on it and ill get some numbers for you.

Originally Posted By: dr2152

Put a flush kit on it to remove salt water. 15 years on mine; checked last year. Just pulled neighbors 454 for transmission and checked manifolds/risers. Good after 12 years and 600 hours

Amazing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back