Conoco 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
Pretty new here but I've been a lurker for a couple years. My question is I've bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado with a 4.3 v6 and around 39000 miles. I'm almost ready to do its first oil change with me. I have no clue what it ran before or what it's running now. I'm assuming dealer Dino maybe Mobil super? Well anyway I've been a mobile 1 guy for quite sometime but I'm thinking about using Conoco synthetic blend. I can get it by the case and I don't run over 5K usually. What is everyone's opinion on this oil?

I think it's a clone of Trop Artic, which is a fantastic bargain lube that stands up well against the big names. You should have no problem at all with 5k OCI's.

I don't think there is much info here on the Conoco, but if you search for Trop Artic you'll find a lot of positive feedback and great UOA's.

If the price is right, use it all day long and twice on Sunday.
As said, it is Trop Artic labeled under the Conoco moniker.
Also labeled under the Phillps 76 and 76 names, depending on your location. Good stuff.

Is it Dexos1? If not, I'd consider using a Dexos oil. That being said, depending upon your usage, it's probably OK for 5k runs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
WHOA! Nellie!, You can't really expect to run a Ford oil in a Chevy!
If you pour the oil with your left hand it will be o.k. [industry secret]

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
WHOA! Nellie!, You can't really expect to run a Ford oil in a Chevy!
If you pour the oil with your left hand it will be o.k. [industry secret]
lol, while standing on one leg.

Last edited:
I don't know if your 2012 requires Dexos rated oil, but I can vouch for the Conoco 5w-30. I've used it and its sister Kendall 5w-30 in my wife's Infiniti for 11 oil changes averaging 5,200 mile intervals. Good stuff at a good price.

Thanks guys! Upon consulting my owners manual it does require a Dexos1 oil. This disappointing because my local Orshlens farm store is loaded to gills with trop artic. Thanks again guys!

Is your warranty still in effect? I would use it either way to be honest with you, if your getting it for a good price.

Yes my 5yr/100000 warranty is still in effect. I honestly think it might meet dexos specs but maybe conoco won't pay to license it. After all it is a gf 5 oil

I think you are right, no way of knowing for sure but based on the performance I've seen I'd bet Trop Artic and it's cousins would pass Dexos in a heartbeat. Doesn't make sense to pay GM royalties on an oil often marketed as a bargain oil though.

I think I'm gonna go with a Dexos1 approved syn blend. maybe pennzoil? I also see Mobil Super Synthetic is on the dexos list anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burchster13
I think I'm gonna go with a Dexos1 approved syn blend. maybe pennzoil? I also see Mobil Super Synthetic is on the dexos list anyone have any experience with it?

That would be an excellent choice while under warranty. Pennzoil Gold (their syn blend) is Dexos approved, it's at least 50% synthetic according to its label, and is reasonably priced. I believe the five quart jug it's only $1.50 more than the five quart jug of PYB at walmart. It'd be an excellent go-to oil while you're under warranty if nothing else is on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back