507 approved oil with the highest VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Originally Posted By: Doug051
I have a 2010 JSW and it has only seen Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 since factory fill. I live in Wisconsin and as you may know, winters here are brutal. No problems starting even on the most fridged morning of -20 F below. Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 meets Mercedes Benz 229.51 spec, which is what they use for their diesels. If its good enough for a Mercedes Benz, it should be good for a VW TDI. I also like the fact that its on sale at least 3 times a year at my local NAPA.

Same here, unfortunately Mobil has discontinued the ESP 5w-40 and replaced it with the 0w-30 which seems to be to be way too thin for a diesel application. I am casting about now for a replacement.

How is a 12cSt KV100, 3.5cP HTHSV 0W-30 which is as close to a 40 grade oil as makes little difference "way too thin for a light duty 2L diesel"?
In Europe where small diesels are very common even lighter C2 0W-30s are specified.
You'll never go wrong running the lightest oil the manufacturer specifies. Using something heavier may make you "feel better" but the decision is not rationally based and would be totally counterproductive.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
How is a 12cSt KV100, 3.5cP HTHSV 0W-30 which is as close to a 40 grade oil as makes little difference "way too thin for a light duty 2L diesel"?
In Europe where small diesels are very common even lighter C2 0W-30s are specified.
You'll never go wrong running the lightest oil the manufacturer specifies. Using something heavier may make you "feel better" but the decision is not rationally based and would be totally counterproductive.

Contrarily, 3.5 is the "natural" HTHS for a Newtonian 30, which is clearly what the grade is based on....the inclusion of HTHS "minimums" came in because Non Newtonian oils displayed shear thinning that lead in cases to failure...that does NOT make 2.9 the "natural" 30 HTHS, merely the "minimum"...prior to the 2013 changes to J300, you could also have made the same claim re 5W40.

But I do agree, if it carries an actual BMW specification, and that spec is approriate for the engine, then the oil is fine...I'd choose less of a Unicorn, if I had no absolute need for the 0W part...and there are plenty of them.

The 507 spec is not required for warranty. Your engine, however, does require a low-saps 5W-30 oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or higher....

Kory, who told you that you didn't have to adhere to a manufacturers specific standard of quality?

The PP Euro 0W-30 isn't available in NA anyways
so it's academic.

If it's not available in NA, then where is it available? I thought Pennzoil was primarily a North American brand.

We know it was never sold in NA.
Anyway, that comment was two days before I learned of the existence and planned release this month (at least in Canada) of PP Euro LX 0W-30.
Do you know when it's going to be available in the States and pricing?

We know it was never sold in NA.

Right. My point was that it was probably never sold anywhere, not just in NA. SOPUS has many of these "only on paper" oils in their portfolio.

Quote:
Anyway, that comment was two days before I learned of the existence and planned release this month (at least in Canada) of PP Euro LX 0W-30.
Do you know when it's going to be available in the States and pricing?

No clue. Availability of SOPUS Euro products has always been a problem here. Euro LX 0w-30 is not even listed on pennzoil.com. And even the ones that are listed (Euro 0w-40, Euro 5w-30 full SAPS) are nowhere to be found at retail level. Pennzoil marketing rep posts here on BITOG and recommends these oils, but will not tell you where and when they'll be available.

I remember when their PU Euro 5w-40 was first announced. It probably took close to a year from the time they started heavily marketing it to the time it began showing up at retail. BITOGers were so frustrated, a SOPUS employee started sending out free cases of it to some of us to make up for it. That was nice.

504 507 is achieved by both 0w-30 and 5W-30

0W-30s are newer but the testing requirements are the same (except in VW FE test) it is backwards compatible and both are 3.5cP HTHS minimum.

I can't see any benefit to high VI as the 0W-30 have to meet higher fuel economy requirements than 5W-30.

High VI comes from VM type rather than base stock. Typically high VI PMAs are not so good in high temperature diesel deposit tests.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I was a forum regular until a couple of years ago. A new car gets the blood I mean oil flowing
wink.gif
. We have ordered a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagon (TDI, manual 6 speed). This will be my first diesel and turbo engine.

I know warranty requires a 507.00 rated oil for the VW recommended 10k mile, 1 year OCI but I am trying to search out said oil with the highest VI.

I know that Mobi's ESP 5W30 is highly regarded (and 507 approved). It has a VI of 164....similar to many of the 507 oils I have looked at.

The 0W30 ESP offering has a VI of 180 but does not have the official 507 rating.

Anyone know of 507 oils with a VI in say the...170s?

Whatever you do, stick to VW 507.00. I would go with M1 ESP 5W30. It is the DPF that is an issue. You need LOW-SAPS oil.

Originally Posted By: Kory
The 507 spec is not required for warranty. Your engine, however, does require a low-saps 5W-30 oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or higher....

Seriously man?
I mean, as far as I am concerned you can use oil oil in your engine, but do not spread this kind of "info."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Anyone know of 507 oils with a VI in say the...170s?

I use Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 with specifications: ACEA C2, C3; VW 504.00/507.00 and it's VI=204

i have read where viscosity index is easily "propped up" using more viscosity index improvers. specs are from new unused oil, + that high VI # "may" dwindle quickly, also noted was check HTHS + Noack as they are a better indicator of oils quality.

You can buy Mobil 1 0w30x1 esp on Amazon 6 quarts for about 50 and free shipping. I have 2011 tdi golf I ran the 0w30 espx1 in the winter. Has slightly higher ash then 507, but I have never needed to add makeup oil to tdi since new has 175000 on it now. In fairness usually change oil at 7500.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
You can buy Mobil 1 0w30x1 esp on Amazon 6 quarts for about 50 and free shipping. I have 2011 tdi golf I ran the 0w30 espx1 in the winter. Has slightly higher ash then 507, but I have never needed to add makeup oil to tdi since new has 175000 on it now. In fairness usually change oil at 7500.

Thanks for sharing this (you might post this experience in TDIClub for more specific response). Have you checked your DPF load via computer by any chance?

I have mostly used 507 spec oils since 2011 tdi golf was new. The dpf had problems at 72000, but VW paid for new one since they noted some models had problems with the flap or heating on the dpf. Basically was not generating enough heat. Car has 186000 on it now. I have not checked the dpf load on the vascom computer. There is a truck place in Pennsylvania near Harrisburg that cleans out the dpf, but you need to bring it to them. Always change oil earlier than the 10000 miles- never feel fully confident in low saps oils, and again have never added any makeup oil. The Pennzoil Ultra L 5w30 is available on Amazon for about 44 per six pack free shipping and like 39 with subscribe and save option. I have that in car now. I probably couldn't tell difference in oils with a blind test, but subjectively and maybe unconscious bias-car has felt best with Motul Specific 507 with Mobil 1 ESP in second. Car felt a little sluggish with Redline 507 European in colder weather but felt better with it in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back