Would you pay a premium over KBB, etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never. The minute you drive off, if someone hits you, you just get retail nadaguide money. So in essence you are paying more than its worth. And just what is a cream puff? They made hundreds of thousands of those cars, might not have a lot of wear, but just because it was well taken care of doesn't mean the alternator or starter won't go. Just get something at or under book value.

The valuation for 20 year old cars is nuts. Even with low mileage and good care, the wires are still old, probably hasn't changed changed all the rubber on the car like gas lines, coolant, etc. Plus how long do you drive a 20 year old car? Say 5 years or more? Then it's a 25+ year old car? I think it's probably even hard to find them in the junkyard at this stage. I'd just look at 10-15 year old cars, you're probably in the same price range if it isn't a foreign car. The thing that always kills me is that people always think that foreign cars are more reliable than American, but they're paying a premium that they'll never recoup.

A 20 year old car with zero miles is not going to be as reliable as the car was when new. Every plastic and rubber part has aged. From the infamous Toyota door handles, to engine/transmission seals, belts, hoses, solenoids and more. Even the plastic tank radiator and heater core is ready to fail.

The fact that it has comparatively low miles simply means it's probably not worn out yet.

But, please don't discount the age.

I don't even bother with the book unless i am looking at a turd.
Super clean, rust free, low mile, well maintained cars cost a premium. Don't want to pay for it? Have a nice day.

On an interesting vehicle with some hint of collector value, yes.

On a 20+ year old toaster that would just get driven into the ground... never. Cujet summed up my reasons perfectly. Its still old, and as soon as you start using it every age related problem will start crawling out of the corners.

Last edited:
In case you missed it, I was on the other end of things. I handsomely beat KBB selling to a dealer who's going to mark it up again.

There's a jerk for every seat. If you keep seeing this car reposted every few days for a month it's priced too high. Otherwise, it wasn't.
wink.gif

Camrys, and other Consumer Reports darlings, have a somewhat unique quality in that their owners can tend to be very proud of them while they're falling apart, as the owners can be snowblind to wear (like front ends falling apart, undercarriage rust) because they've been gas & go-ing for 20 years with success, ignoring necessary maintenance. Just because something hasn't been to a mechanic, doesn't mean it doesn't need to go.

KBB also doesn't reflect seasonal differences, it takes a hardy soul to have a car for sale in February here, shovelled out, and income tax refunds are starting to trickle in. Makes for a perk-up in pricing due to supply & demand.

Guides like KBB (KBB is very high, dealers like it, buyers don't) are good for vehicles that are newer. If I'm looking at something that is more than 10 years old, judge it for yourself if you will get the value out of that vehicle. Throw out the book when something gets so old. I would hope that you're buying it to run it until it dies... figure out when that will be and make your decision accordingly.

I'd print out KBB,Nada,and Edmunds values on that car. Bring cash,and begin negotiations. It's not a collector's car or a limited edition model. If he won't budge it's his loss. The longer it sits the more the value goes down.

this time last year I paid $13,500 for a '06 2WD 4CYL Highlander with 28,000 mi.

well over book.. but the paint, interior, tires all cherry and the model's generation doesn't rust, so far an amazing bargin.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
this time last year I paid $13,500 for a '06 2WD 4CYL Highlander with 28,000 mi.

well over book.. but the paint, interior, tires all cherry and the model's generation doesn't rust, so far an amazing bargin.

Yup, why I like used cars. Let someone else do the durability testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back