All terrain Tires - What to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Colorado has the factory Eaton G80 locker in the rear.

One poster says sipes are bad for off roading[chunking], another says only for off roading.....
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
...One poster says sipes are bad for off roading[chunking], another says only for off roading.....
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

welcome to the internet.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
A good all terrain is going to have sipes from the factory. I'd recommend getting sipes added if you get mud tires - which you said you don't want.

I understand, but the factory siping is gone after 20k miles, no?

Depends. If the factory siping is gone at 20K miles then go for it. I think most will retain their sipes for a while.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
BFG AT KO or KO2.

Interesting about the LTX AT, I always wondered how they would do off road.

They suck off road/snow.

As for the KO or KO2 - no treadwear warranty as they only come in LT flavor.

My wife's 2005 Explorer currently has Michelin LTX AT2 tires. These have been great wearing, quiet and fantastic in snow and ice. She doesn't go off road, at last I don't think so
grin.gif
, so I can't comment on their off road performance.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
voided manufacturers warranty.

Buy tires thru Discount Tire[for example]. Discount Tire sipes tires. Warranty issue arises. I take truck back to Discount Tire, who siped the tires. Do you think DT would say no warranty due to THEIR siping?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Siping is better for snow and wet traction.

Which is what I am looking for in the Great NorthWet

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2. The perfect combination of off-road capability, on-road manners (not noisy, holds shape & balance well), & snow/ice traction-plus long tread life. The original Revo 1 was even better, but no longer available. If you're on a budget, the Yoko Geolandar AT/S is decent as well (but noisier & not as good in winter).

I have had 6 sets of DuraTracs on various 4Runners. They are great offroad especially in the snow, but have some flexibility with regards to the sidewall when pushing them on road. Just switched out a set of 265/70/17 DuraTracs for the new 275/70/17 E load range KO2's on the 4Runner. While, I have not had a chance to test them extensively off road, they handle much better than the DuraTracs on the road. Very, very happy with these and I plan to stick with them. Cooper A/T 3 are on the third generation 4Runner now. They are a mild A/T that performs adequately in most conditions. General Grabber AT2 are also highly regarded as the 91 F-150 wears a set. The Generals or Cooper will be the cheapest and roughly the same price. The Duratracs or KO2's will be a bit pricier. I did have two sets of the Michelin LTX AT2's. They were by far the best handling tire on the road for my applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I did have two sets of the Michelin LTX AT2's. They were by far the best handling tire on the road for my applications.

Did you ever notice them squeaking on the pavement?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Good read: http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

"Duratracs are one of the most recommended tires on your forums and others for overlanding. Huge disservice excluding them for the Wranglers that no one recommends."

Duratracs are not A/T tires. Thread title: All terrain Tires - What to look for

The Expo article was for A/T tires only. Duratracs are well liked.

Last edited:
Good read: http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

"Duratracs are one of the most recommended tires on your forums and others for overlanding. Huge disservice excluding them for the Wranglers that no one recommends."

Duratracs are not A/T tires. Thread title: All terrain Tires - What to look for

The Expo article was for A/T tires only. Duratracs are well liked.

Semantics and perspective.

Technically, they're branded "On-/Off-Road Commercial Traction".

Semantics and perspective.

Technically, they're branded "On-/Off-Road Commercial Traction".

Absolutely. And if Expo had included Duratracs in their comparo similar comments as you quoted would have never ended. Sometimes one has to stay between the lines. The Coopers are good tires as are the Duratracs.

The Cooper ATW is the tire you need. Looks like the AT3 but has the siping you want, and it is snow rated.

Originally Posted By: Rand
cooper discoverer AT/3

One of the best AT tires at the best price.

They also don't need additional siping....

x2. Its what I'm running and they are great for a daily driver. That said, if you plan on doing any "real" wheeling in mud or bad snow offroad, I won't vouch for them; I would like to hear from others who can, though.

Firestone Destination A/T. Do it. Best A/T I have ever bought.

I am pretty satisfied with the Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts I have now, but not as satisfied as I was with Destination A/Ts. The Destinations were way better on wet pavement, and as you probably know, wet pavement is kind of a thing to consider with a smaller pickup. Destination A/Ts just work on small/midsize pickups that get driven on everything.

Are you adding weight to the back of your truck for driving in mud and snow? if not that could be a big part of your problem. I have Michelin LTX/MS2s on my truck and they are amazing in snow, slush and rain. I would not say they are excellent in the mud, but I have never been stuck with them in either. I use 5 sand bags in the winter and when hunting I usually carry all of the gear, which is at least 300 pounds. I rarely have to put my truck in 4 wheel in the winter, but I always put it in 4 wheel before going off road.

I had Cooper Discoverer ATRs (discontinued now)on it before the Michelins. They were slightly better off road with their aggressive tread blocks, but were not as good in the slush and rain. I replaced them early because at a little over half worn, wet traction really suffered and they had to go. My truck sees about 90% highway use and if I am deep off road I am not alone, so I went with a highway tire this time. I have been happy with my choice.

My truck at work is a 2wd 1 ton Econoline cube van. It has Goodyear Wrangler HTs on it. We have a dirt field that has a few spots that turn to mud every time it rains. Unloaded it slips a bit but usually makes it through. Loaded it has no trouble at all. In the snow it really does well and they never plow the lot for us at night. Again weight helps a lot. It usually has between 500 and 2500 pounds in it, and it never sees pavement and never leaves the lot.

My friend has BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs on his Tacoma. They are great in the mud. I am usually behind him in the mud hunting, his truck is unloaded but also has a locker. They are good in deep snow but only fair in slush and heavy rain. He does not add weight for winter but does use 4 wheel when it snows or is slushy. I think his truck would do much better with a couple sand bags. He has 40k miles on them and they still look good.

While they mention tire pressure, I can't find in that ExpeditionPortal article whether they actually aired down the tires for off-road. The T/A KO's will do better when aired down.

They also failed to test on my primary off-road terrain; steep, loose tile (2-3-4" rocks) over rock trails (and mix in some wet leaves.)

Additionally they failed to mention what happens when off-roading in such conditions with all the pretenders versus the KO's... cut sidewalls, damaged rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back