Explain the fear of fiber endcaps to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to understand people's fear of them, there's even lots of filters now with no endcap at all ... I mean the media that the oil is passing through is paper but everyone gets in a frenzy over fiber/cardboard caps?

I don't think it is just the end caps, but the overall quality of the construction that Fram used in their orange cans. They were cheap on the amount of media they used, and many came out looking ugly.

Sure they did the job, but there were other filters that looked better doing so, and for less $$$.

They protected hundreds of millions of engines for decades. The force applied to end caps is small or approx. the deferential pressure across the filter. Ed

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I really want to understand people's fear of them, there's even lots of filters now with no endcap at all ... I mean the media that the oil is passing through is paper but everyone gets in a frenzy over fiber/cardboard caps?

Who fears them? Are you confusing fear with opting for better quality, at the same price?

I am not scared into buying better quality. My common sense shopping is not triggered by filter-fear.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't think it is just the end caps, but the overall quality of the construction that Fram used in their orange cans. They were cheap on the amount of media they used, and many came out looking ugly.

Sure they did the job, but there were other filters that looked better doing so, and for less $$$.

They pretty much have to tho. People want cheap 80% of the people who go to Walmart or auto zone will go buy their oil and buy the cheapest filter they can. If its not you its them, also the orange cans are very similar to the E-cores which business want and they want very cheap. Once again if your not the cheapest you don't get the sale.

I definitely understand what you mean I really do but you get what you pay for. People paid for cheap they got cheap.

Yes for a little more you can get a lot better but a of frame sells are due to being the cheapest. The people who buy cheap don't really care the price is pretty much the determining factor between them buying your brand for 5 years or them buying your competitor's.

You can get cheaper but not a lot of options on a retailer scale you have to go out and look for the good cheap alternatives.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Who fears them? Are you confusing fear with opting for better quality, at the same price?

This. Absolutely, this.

And as another has said, its SO much more than just the fiber endcap that makes the entry level Fram so despised. Its nothing against Fram per se, most people here think the Fram Ultra is one of (if not THE) best on the market.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Triple_Se7en said:
And as another has said, its SO much more than just the fiber endcap that makes the entry level Fram so despised. Its nothing against Fram per se, most people here think the Fram Ultra is one of (if not THE) best on the market.

Having now switched to these filters and seen them cut open, I agree. Who knew!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Filters with better end caps can be found at the price, so why risk it?

I think maybe that was the real question. What is the real risk?

I would think the rubber bypass valve and or anti drain back valve would seal better where it meets a metal end cap. Other than that, a metal end cap seems more structurally sound.

The bonding of the filter media to the end cap is better with fiber?

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I really want to understand people's fear of them,

FEAR = False Evidence Appears Real.

I have been using Fram filters for over 40 years...never a leak...never a blown filter case....never any issue period.

Use them with confidence.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back