Would you pay a premium over KBB, etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

I live in Minnesota, land of rust. A 'unicorn' just popped up on CL yesterday - a 1995 Toyota Camry, completely rust free, with 80k. Car has been stored during the winters, hence the appearance and mileage.

I looked up values, and he is well above anything I saw. In fact, he is 1500.00 over what I saw on KBB.

In rare cases, would you throw out fair market values?

I emailed the owner and asked for the rationale for his asking price, and the response was 'I looked at all Japanese cars, between 3-4k, and could not find anything in that price range with applicable mileage or body condition'.

KBB "dealer" is outrageously high in most cases, KBB private party is more reasonable.

But for a car well outside of the norms the only guide is what you and the owner can agree on and if the car is worth that price to you.

Yes, what you are looking at is very close to a car in new condition.

Why should he price it the same as rust buckets?

If I looked at the car, and it is immaculate, I'd only talk him down a few hundred to have the rad hoses replaced.

I'd love to have a show room boxy Toyota, I'd wax it up and pamper it if I could find one that isn't all rusted out.

Show me a 1990 Toyota Corolla in great shape and I'd pony up on it quick.

Maybe, but not $1500 over on a 20 year old appliance sedan, Toyota or otherwise.

I might pay $1500 over on something more rare, that was the best of the best.

The guides are just that, guides. If it doesn't sell at his number, he'll drop it. If it sells, then someone thought it was worth what he was asking.

If you like it, negotiate for a price you are willing to pay. If it really is great, no rust, garaged in the winter, service history, etc, it may be worth more than the book says.

How much is a matter of negotiation.

You can EASILY put 150,000 miles on that car.

This is a very simple vehicle to maintain.

Work out the price with the guy.

ALL these cars are grocery-getter appliances.

This one has a ton of use left in it.

A Honda Fit new is 25k for crying out loud.

Be careful of CL. My mom almost fell for a scam on that site.

Sounds like a similar deal, but they wanted her to pay with those money cards you can buy from Walmart.
I had to step in and put the kibosh to the deal before she lost all of her money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
You can EASILY put 150,000 miles on that car.

This is a very simple vehicle to maintain.

Work out the price with the guy.

ALL these cars are grocery-getter appliances.

This one has a ton of use left in it.

A Honda Fit new is 25k for crying out loud.

This.

Odds are, someone else will think it is a great deal too.

Conversely, $1500 buys a ticket and a few hotel nights. Can you fly south and find better for under kbb?

What is the value to you for not shopping around? Not having to fly south, etc.

So he's listed it for $3900, eh?
Only 1 photo of the engine, but the wheel covers sure look clean.
I don't like red, but it would easily get a kid through college.

What supton said

When I was in Florida there was a boatload of non rusty cars, there was bound to be a creampuff or two.

There was a 71 beetle with 80k for $1200 that made me think...

Like a House, multiple agents have told me better condition does not necessarily demand a higher price....
It "supports" nominal & comparable prices. Happened to me; I had it immaculate and did not get much more for it.

Don't fall for it. Evaluate it thoroughly, see receipts and offer him a nominal amount of $100 bills.

I was told the same thing on my 2000 Saturn, then I offered him a lower amount of $100s and they took it.
Just like my 1998 Saturn & other cars.

there are always exception to rules. It used to be, and may still be that ALH TDI VW's of any kind exceed kbb value and probably still do.

It is 20 years old..not doubting it could take tons more mileage but I wouldnt give more than full kbb. Miles and body condition are 2 factors..

Which KBB price is the seller over. Over private party? Not that much of a big deal. Over retail? Probably not worth it.

I do like Edmunds TCV better than KBB, but that's just me.

KBB isn't accurate on 5 year old cars let alone 20 years old cars. If it's the nicest vehicle you can find for that amount of money, go for it.

any car is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.

No offense but forget KBB, just look around and familiarize yourself with the market. Then make an offer.

Most intelligent sellers aren't asking the same price they expect to get, most buyers aren't paying asking price. So do some horse tradin'...

He probably bought it and is flipping it for $$$

also price is because craigslist is full of fools, and shysters.

Ask him if he will split the difference. I doubt that since he expended a lot of energy and money to keep the vehicle in good condition. He probably isn't in need of money so he will hold to his asking price or keep the car. When I was a kid, the neighbors across the street had a small motorbike which their son had stopped using. My parents tried to buy it but the asking price was always way out of line. I watched that bike sit on their front porch and deteriorate for years. They finally gave it away to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back