Which pressure washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost forgot, the oil fill..... Unit came supplied with 20 ounce bottle. There's no way you're getting all that in there and then NOT having it leak out later when checking either dipstick (there's two). I put in 16 ounces of the SAE 30 oil that it was supplied with. Ran it for 3 or 4 hours and then changed it to Castrol GTX SynBlend 10W-40 but this time only added 15 ounces to get oil level correct on the dipstick line. Don't try filling more than 15 ounces.
beer3.gif

We have an old horiz pump -- it's a flathead briggs on a 2-wheel, single foot frame. My FIL put a new CAT pump on it a few years ago and the old briggs spins it all day. It is a royal pain to start b/c a) it's an old briggs that gets used 2-3x per year; b) the pump builds pressure and is hard to pull / engine cant build power at first. I get around it by opening the wand and setting rpm low until it gets going.

An $8 bottle of pump saver lasts me a year. I probably use 1/3 of the tiny can per use. If that stuff saves that $400 pump, we'll easily see a chonda replacing the briggs before anyone in the fam needs to buy another washer.

use the pump saver.
smile.gif

Found out both of the Generac models I'm looking at have horizontal pumps. Looks like I'll probably get the One Wash, just in case the wife wants to use it sometime it is easier to use because of the adjustable pressure. Considering the mid-line Generac as well but that is $600. Not looking to buy quite yet though, so have some time to think about it.

My electric washer [censored] out last year and I bought the 2800 psi gas powered Generac unit. Have used it extensively and no issues so far.

I have a Generac "One Wash" (this model) and it works incredibly well. With a cheap "second story" nozzle kit it'll shoot a bleach+tsp mixture around 30 feet high on a windless day. The included detergent tanks and siphon hose are useless, though. Just get a 5 gal bucket and a weighted siphon strainer.

We have two pressure washers at work with AR pumps -- both see heavy use and we've never had a problem.

Bought a Honda powered 4HP pressure washer around 2000 that had a Comet pump . Even with servicing the Comet only lasted about 3 years . Did some research and found the General pumps had a good record so got a replacement General pump of Ebay . Worked awesome for at least 12 years and was still working fine when I sold it last summer as was the Honda engine .

I've been through my share of pressure washers. Including a very troublesome Generac.

I really got tired of the troubles and purchased a Honda/Cat. It's been perfect.

I know you don't want to spend the money, but I'm not at all sure a cheap pressure washer will last half as long as a commercial one that costs almost twice as much.

This unit would be the absolute lowest I would consider:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594735_200594735

Or better yet (has Cat triplex industrial pump) (I've used this exact model and it's awesome) :
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594736_200594736

Honda GX engine and Cat pump will serve you for a lifetime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back