FCW vs high quality synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious about oil choices for my outboard motor. It is a Yamaha 2.5 hp four stroke. It is powering my 14 ft fisher marine john boat. I am currently running the Pennzoil FCW approved 10w30. This engine spends most of its time at or near wide open. I am not overly concerned about warranty coverage as this is not a high dollar engine. Would it be beneficial to run a high quality synthetic such as Pennzoil Platinum? Cost isn't really an issue as this doesn't take but about 1/2 quart. My concern is simply whether a full synthetic PCMO could provide any benefit to longevity, cleanliness, etc.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
benefit to longevity, cleanliness, etc.

We're dealing with a little, carbureted outboard here -- in regards to longevity and cleanliness, I'm be considerably more focused on the fueling system.

Probably 50 hours per year or so. All fresh water. The boat stays in the garage out of the weather all year long. I run gas with no ethanol and use fuel stabilizer in every tank. My concerns are mostly based on the small oil capacity and the fact that it is basically always run at WOT. The Amsoil sounds like a viable solution.

Wide open on that engine may be 5,000 RPM, Motorcycles and some watercraft go 10K. It wouldn't hurt to run the synthetic give the small cost. Most one cylinder engines take .5 to .6L of oil,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back