Chevy Silverado 2000, 5.3 L- Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace the wires and spark plugs on a 2000 Silverado 5.3L, LS
Have 58,xxx miles on it

Coil is stamped with number: 12558693
Spark Plug: DENSO PTJ14R15 (12565753)
Wires: DELPHI stamped on boot (7MM), PACKARD stamped on the middle of the wire

I looked up the Spark Plugs on Amazon and they are $10.00 bucks each, wow.

Are these plugs Iridium or Double Platinum?

Any other recommendation for a good spark plug for half the price?
Any other spark plug wire?

Advice is greatly appreciated

Always go OEM, whatever that may be. Check Rockauto.com, that should help you figure out what the original metal is, platinum or iridium. Do not go into this with a "half-the-price" mentality. This is not an area where you skimp.

In November of last year my 1999 Silverado with 5.3L had 76K miles on it. I replaced the plugs and wires with AC Delco, exact factory replacements and now I have 81K miles on the truck and it is running perfectly. Speaking from experience stop by AutoZone and get the OEM, you won't be disappointed, my truck is amazing and love driving it!! For fun I'm running Mobil 1 extended performance 5W30 with a NAPA Gold oil filter, hopeful to get a few hundred thousand miles on this old boy.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Check Rockauto.com, that should help you figure out what the original metal is, platinum or iridium.

Exactly what I was going to say. They do a good job of clarifying what part you need. They will probably note your coil number for the proper wireset, too.

I have a 2001 that came with NGK PZTR5A-15 Laser Platinums, but the spec was changed to an iridium plug with a smaller gap. The new plug, as of 2007 at least, is AC Delco 41-985.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
In November of last year my 1999 Silverado with 5.3L had 76K miles on it. . . . . . hopeful to get a few hundred thousand miles on this old boy.

2004 GMC Yukon with the 5.3L. Just broke 200k and still going strong. Hoping to get to 400k at least.

I also want to mention that I own a 2002 Silverado 5.3 L (LT).
Started out with platinums then called for iridium and now I'm back with Platinum, per Chevy dealer.

I wanted to use AC delco Platinums on the 2000 5.3 L but then noticed the Delphi stamp on the wires and then noticed the Denso stamp on the spark plugs.

Will call the dealer tomorrow to see what they are using for the 2000 Silverados.

Note: Both Chevy's 5.3 L

The plugs on the 2000 Silverado 5.3 L are the original ones.
Not sure if they are platinum or iridium.

Can anyone here identify if the current plugs are platinum or iridium
Here's whats stamped on the plug
Spark Plug: DENSO PTJ14R15 (12565753)

You can find them cheaper on Amazon. Bought them last fall.

Original plugs were Platinum; replacements now are Iridium. I went with Iridium, but then pulled them at 3k, and reinstalled NGK Platinums.

If you go Iridium, at least make an attempt to check the gap. I know it is frowned upon, but just be very careful. My Iridium plugs were gapped quite inconsistently.

Last edited:
Quote:
..but the spec was changed to an iridium plug with a smaller gap..

Correct. Revised gap is .040"

Document ID# 1396703

Subject: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping #03-06-04-060 - (10/24/2003)
[snip]
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
[snip]
with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found to not be properly gapped should not be used.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1396703

Some like platinum while others prefer the iridiums. Rationale behind change see Bulletin Number 13D-070:

http://acdelcoadvantage.saepio.com/LWSer...013/13D-070.pdf

OE ACDelco are quite reasonable ($3.62 each) with the current rebate. FWIW my 5.3 LS is happy with the 41-110s.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-41-110-Professional-Iridium-Spark/dp/B002I0GYZU

I'm leaning towards Platinums.

Any recommendation on which wires to use with Platinums?

Can the same wires be used for both Iridium and Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back