Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the lisle one or one similar. Its got springs in it so it holds onto the filter until you get your ratchet situated. Also it tightens as you unscrew, so the grip increases.

Filter specific flute cap wrenches seem to work well also.

I also have the 3 prong craftsman one. Doesnt grip the filter by itself so it tends to fall off or not grip tightly in small spaces before your ratchet catches. I never use it.

Most of my cars wouldnt have enough room for the vise grip or pliers style ones.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I scored a used Hazet 2172 oil filter wrench on EBay for about $20 including shipping, and couldn't resist bragging. New, you can find it listed for $175. Someone lists a new one on the 'Bay for $99, ships from Germany. Used price never seemed to drop below $75.

The reason I need it is I bought some Fram Ultra XG7317 filters at Walmart, got them home, and found the rough stuff they put on the end prevents my regular cap wrench from fitting.

H_2172.jpg

I got one similar for $10, waiting to test it on OEM as is smaller
than FU

8104028.jpg

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Because of the limited space... I have to use some socket type wrench. And I gave away my other two socket type wrenches because they didn't fit the filters I was using on my new truck so I bought a new one. And my previous oil change I used a Fram Oil Filter and this new wrench doesn't fit it. Thats why I bought the adjustable one.

It's the Fram filter, not the wrench. My socket style works great on Bosch filters but it doesn't fit well on an OCOD. I went back to Bosch filters and all is well.

I have two sizes of the Lisle style that look like this, as well as two steel band wrenches. The Lisle’s have never let me down. I probably nought them off a Matco or Snap-On truck though.
k2-_6210fc6c-28c3-4de7-ad2f-3c6f5461ee4b.v1.jpg

Originally Posted By: asand1
I have two sizes of the Lisle style that look like this, as well as two steel band wrenches. The Lisle’s have never let me down. I probably nought them off a Matco or Snap-On truck though.
k2-_6210fc6c-28c3-4de7-ad2f-3c6f5461ee4b.v1.jpg

I had one similar but could not get a hold of my OEM filter.

Personally, I've never cared for the wrench style filter removal tools. By nature of their design, they require clearance around the perimeter of the filter - something that is a rarity on every car I have owned.

I've had a tool that is similar in design to the Lisle tool, except it does not have springs. It has never failed me. I have needed a new one, for a different size range of filters, but to my disappointment, have not been able to find the same design.

So, I've went to buying the specific size cap type. They are OK. But it's inconvenient to have to buy a new one for each filter size. And if you don't get exactly the right size, they can slip. Or even worse, they can jam on the filter. Very inconvenient!

Next one I'm going to buy is the three armed style, as sold by Craftsman. I like the idea of three contact points. Plus, it covers a very large range of filter sizes.

I have something like that, but it is only good for bigger filters with plenty of access around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back