Honda vs WIX air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 V6 Accord and have always used Honda air filters. Would switching to a NAPA Gold(WIX) give just as good or better performance/protection to the engine? Which is the better/higher quality filter? Many thanks!

Honda OEM air filters are the best.

I am testing Pentius air filters I got off of Rock Auto, and they are great.

But considering an air filter lasts for 2 years in a suburban / city environment, it seems like the savings aren't worth it.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Honda filters are superior to any after market filter.

I agree..speaking about air filters here. The Honda OEM air filter I just dropped in my Accord is extremely well built, its even oiled.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Honda filters are superior to any after market filter.

What is this assertion based on?

Eric, you look at an OEM Honda air filter QUALITY and see how great they fit in the air box, you'll see that looking any further is fruitless.

For my Fit, they use some crazy synthetic media that looks tightly woven and would NEVER tear. These are BEEFY filters for sure.

Last edited:
Not to be a stick in the mud, but looks aren't everything. Come on man, this is BITOG... We demand proof. Do you have any data to back the claim? Lower silicone levels in a string of UOAs? Less visible dusting of the intake tract? Anything? Not saying you're wrong here, but throw me a bone!

So stick with Honda Air filter but for the oil filters WIX/NAPA Gold is the best for my application? Thanks!

Honda air filters for a Honda engine hands down. The one for my 2008 Civic is oiled and I assume most or all Honda air filters are.

There is something to be said for a filter that fits perfectly in an air box.

But assuming a Honda and a Wix filter both seal properly, I would be interested to see the efficiency numbers.

The newer Hondas must have changed. In my 04 the wix and OEM literally look identical. I use napa gold and they fit perfectly. Same for my mom's 08 accord.

In my Acura CL-S I just today replaced a 9 year old Wix 42023 made in Israel for a new Wix 42023 made in Bulgaria, and the new one was not quite square and didn't drop in as easily. But the filter media in it seemed OK, and the same as the older one.

Many of Honda's OEM air filters are lightly oiled, like the Purolator P1 air filters. Strangely, Purolator doesn't make a P1 for that Accord, nor does Fram make a TG air filter for it, either. You think they'd make oiled air filters for cars where they're OE.

The Wix for your Accord is made in Korea. Most aftermarket air filters for this car seem to be made in Korea or China. OEM is made in the USA, as is Fram (may be the OE supplier, but the aftermarket version might not be as good). I could not find a Denso air filter for your car.

Therefore, you should get the OEM, with Fram being a distant second.

I am currently running a P1 air filter. No complaints whatsoever, but I think the oiled media is just a marketing term..

Kinda like using the words synthetic on a DOT 3 or 4 bottle.

I am going back to a OEM filter. I have had a K and N for about 20,000 miles and I feel like it does an OK job filtering but it just might be me but I feel like the K and N does not really filter that good,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back