Windows 10 - Last Windows Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have suggested in other posts that Microsoft was planning to move to a subscription model with Windows.

The following article seems to be saying the same thing, notwithstanding any previous denials on Microsoft's part.

Why Microsoft Won’t Produce New Windows “Versions”

"Jerry Nixon, a software development executive at Microsoft, has told the BBC that Windows “will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner.” There are two ways this can be interpreted:

Updates will continue, but you will have to pay a “subscription” to receive them, or
The updates are completely free, with the hope of upselling the whole package with supplementary software.

It pains me to say that the first option will be most likely. Office 365 already uses this subscription model with the lowest tier costing around $70 per year."

The following link is for a poll, of sorts, not sure they're asking the right questions or asking the questions right, still.....

What do You Think of Microsoft’s Plans to Not Release New Versions of Windows?

I will reiterate my contention that Windows IS going to a subscription model, right along with Office.

I can actually see how it could work for the retail market, but I don't quite get how it's going to work for the enterprise market. Business, both large and small, as well as government entities at the local, state and federal level need a stable OS that they can count on running the software they've developed, over a long period of time, not something that can change on a whim.

If Microsoft is anything, it's Change You Can Count On, whether you want it, like it or need it.

How this is gonna down is THEY determine what is value added and just go ahead and push the upgrade to you overnight without your approval and then when you need to use it in the morning you owe them $69.95 for the latest update patch refresh compatability plug-in. No payment equals no acess to the internet your software or files. I will run to the vendor who provides it the old fashioned way - on a disc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
I have suggested in other posts that Microsoft was planning to move to a subscription model with Windows.

The following article seems to be saying the same thing, notwithstanding any previous denials on Microsoft's part.

Why Microsoft Won’t Produce New Windows “Versions”

"Jerry Nixon, a software development executive at Microsoft, has told the BBC that Windows “will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner.” There are two ways this can be interpreted:

Updates will continue, but you will have to pay a “subscription” to receive them, or
The updates are completely free, with the hope of upselling the whole package with supplementary software.

It pains me to say that the first option will be most likely. Office 365 already uses this subscription model with the lowest tier costing around $70 per year."

The following link is for a poll, of sorts, not sure they're asking the right questions or asking the questions right, still.....

What do You Think of Microsoft’s Plans to Not Release New Versions of Windows?

I will reiterate my contention that Windows IS going to a subscription model, right along with Office.

I can actually see how it could work for the retail market, but I don't quite get how it's going to work for the enterprise market. Business, both large and small, as well as government entities at the local, state and federal level need a stable OS that they can count on running the software they've developed, over a long period of time, not something that can change on a whim.

If Microsoft is anything, it's Change You Can Count On, whether you want it, like it or need it.

I wonder if it would be something like Fedora VS RHEL. High turnover on the consumer side with eventual and progressive change with long-term support on the enterprise side
21.gif

Maybe this will push more users to adopt Linux based systems. There's plenty of good distros out there. Linux to replace Windows and libreoffice to replace ms office. No brainer imo

My 7 Pro will stay on my computer until it is not supported while my Linux (currently UbuntuMATE) will be my main OS. With more and more cloud based services, the OS is becoming less and less relevant. I can do 95% or more of my work from Linux using the Chrome browser and no other needed alterations.

My work still requires me to use the Office suite (and no, LibreOffice is not a complete replacement). But really, if they end up switching to Google Docs or Office 365 then I would be almost 100% free of Windows.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Maybe this will push more users to adopt Linux based systems. There's plenty of good distros out there. Linux to replace Windows and libreoffice to replace ms office. No brainer imo

Unlikely. Many people don't even know one can do word processing without buying Word. It is a shock to them that for basic type stuff, freely downloadable software is available.

On a similar note, someone once asked me if they moved to linux if they would be able to open their jpg files....

Last edited:
The first one would be stupid. I think the second is more likely. They'll try to catch the user "on the go", adding value to that part of the software. My guess is that you will be able to do more that way.

It would be nuts if they didn't have a free platform to put it on....

I too am a Linux user and fan. I installed my first version of Ubuntu on a virtual machine 5 or 6 years ago. I worked with it for about a year and then fell away from it.

Then about 3 years ago I started using Linux Mint, I think Version 14. I've been on again and off again with it. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but here's the problem, it's......well, harder. I've used Windows for so long, spent so many thousands of hours working in it/on it and with it that I kind of know, intuitively, how to fix this or that, or how to install or remove software, etc.

I think it's the learning curve that puts most people off Linux.

I could replace Windows with Linux Mint. Use Firefox and Chrome, throw in Thunderbird for Email and Calendar and Libre Office. That's about 80 or 90 percent of what I need. That other 10 or 20 percent is the problem. :)

Right now though, I'm perfectly happy with 8.1 and StartIsBack, and that's going to be supported until 2023, so I've plenty of time.

Now, none of this is to say that I wouldn't entertain the idea of a subscription for Windows. I just have to get my mind wrapped around the idea.

I was thinking that I already do something similar. For instance, I go buy my favorite computer security software and install it. It comes with 1 year of virus definition updates and then I have to buy another year's subscription or buy another copy of the software to get another year of virus definition updates.

There's other software that acts much the same.

We've just been used to buying Windows and Office, installing it and getting support of those installations for five, ten and more years.

I don't know, I still don't like it, but I don't know what I'm going to do yet!

I do know that I'm going to be putting more effort into getting comfortable with Linux......... just in case.

I suspect that they will start to move more and more to a cloud based format, where some very basic tablet/console OS allows connectivity to the web-enabled, cloud-based OS that provides full functionality and a long-term update schedule, relatively agnostic of hardware, for a nominal continuous fee.

And in that way, the OS services will be fed out just the same way that centralized database, accounting and other systems are set up on massive windows distributions in large enterprises.

There will surely always be a standalone, off-network capability for those who need it... But those who need it are willing to pay for it. The key for MS, IMO is to get business back from the chrome book types who actually have some limited use for Windows...

At some point it will be silly to have umpteen different OSes of different types from different vendors and conglomerations of developers...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
At some point it will be silly to have umpteen different OSes of different types from different vendors and conglomerations of developers...

Prior to DOS and the IBM PC/AT architecture there were a myriad different OS's. Anyone or any company who wanted to build a computer had to come up with their own architecture and operating system. I'm talking about the early to mid eighties.

It was IBM being willing to license their architecture along with Microsoft, (who refused to sell DOS to IBM), licensing DOS that allowed the PC to be standardized and "cloned" by anyone who wanted to. That was the beginning of the PC revolution. I guess the revolution is still going on!

By the way, Apple NEVER did that. They've never allowed the Apple/Mac system be built by anyone but Apple. That's why their products are so much more expensive, and frankly IMHO, not deservedly so.

But I digress.

I think there's one main reason Microsoft might want to go to a subscription model for Windows and Office and that's revenue/money/dinero/pounds/francs/yuans etc.

The side benefits? First, it will let them put a serious crimp in the ability to pirate either of those products. But it also relieves them of maintaining a schedule of "New" releases and the accompanying costs associated with that, which have to be huge.

Really though, I'm more interested in what's in it for me? How will I benefit from such a change? I've been asking the same question as regards Windows 10 itself and I haven't come up with a satisfying answer. So far, I see all the benefit accruing to Microsoft. I think until they adequately articulate an answer to that question, there will be much resistance to such a change.

Larry

I suspect that they will start to move more and more to a cloud based format, where some very basic tablet/console OS allows connectivity to the web-enabled, cloud-based OS that provides full functionality and a long-term update schedule, relatively agnostic of hardware, for a nominal continuous fee.

And in that way, the OS services will be fed out just the same way that centralized database, accounting and other systems are set up on massive windows distributions in large enterprises.

There will surely always be a standalone, off-network capability for those who need it... But those who need it are willing to pay for it. The key for MS, IMO is to get business back from the chrome book types who actually have some limited use for Windows...

Oh the irony....the ghosts from DEC and IBM are laughing "I told you so". We've come full circle. Mainframes are the future, running "aps". DT's, LT's NTbks, Chromebooks become nothing but "terminals" to access all data, programs, aps, storage, etc "in the cloud".

No more viruses, bots, malware because all consumer-level devices will be nothing but a stupid, wireless terminal...perfect for all those who don't want to know nor care. As long as they get their MTV.

That didn't last long.........

On my old laptop I had a pretty large hd and dual booted win8.1 and elementary os. Since I got a new laptop with a 256gb ssd I haven't had the space to dual boot and keep games installed on Windows. When I was dual booting, elemementary was the primary os with Windows used for gaming only. The only reason I keep Windows is for games, that and afaik nvidia drivers aren't available for Linux
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
As long as security updates are free then I don't care what they do.

Free.......hmmm, if you're paying an annual subscription?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Oh the irony....the ghosts from DEC and IBM are laughing "I told you so". We've come full circle. Mainframes are the future, running "aps". DT's, LT's NTbks, Chromebooks become nothing but "terminals" to access all data, programs, aps, storage, etc "in the cloud".

No more viruses, bots, malware because all consumer-level devices will be nothing but a stupid, wireless terminal...perfect for all those who don't want to know nor care. As long as they get their MTV.

Fire up the VAX! LOL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Yeah, that's kind of a dismal, bleak thought isn't it? But I think that's been in the back of my mind since I first heard the rumor.

sigh.............

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I guess Ill finally move everything to Linux

Exactly what I was thinking when I read it.

Right now I primarily use Windows and OS X at home, but if one of them went to an annual subscription I'd drop it and move back to Linux in a heart beat. This whole "nickel and dime the customer" thing is ridiculous, and unfortunately it's only going to get worse.

when a business tries to change a long-established and accepted product or service, it's usually a recipe for disaster. New Coke, anyone?

Originally Posted By: slowdime
The only reason I keep Windows is for games, that and afaik nvidia drivers aren't available for Linux
frown.gif

Well yeah, nvidia drivers ARE available for Linux. I have an Nvidia driver installed in my Linux box. But, they are not included in the kernel like other drivers. Even though you can go to the Nvidia website and download a Linux driver they don't make them available to the Linux devs. They're still proprietary.

It's one of those "harder" parts I spoke of earlier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back