New Oil, New Filter = Clean Oil + Oil Smell???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys. Based on info from my previous post, I flipped a coin and went with the Kendall Super D-XA Titamium 15-40 oil. I did my OC and replaced the filter with the upgraded Donaldson DBL7349 15 Micron filter. Now to the question/ concern. As most have reported on this site, my oil is usually JET black as soon as I crank up. It has been 4 days since the oil change and the oil is still pretty clear (can see/ read the stick thru the oil). AND, my truck is producing this stinky kinda burning oil smell. I did not spill any oil and have cleaned/ degreased the engine compartment 2x. Is the smell similar to the infamous Rotella smell that is mentioned? And why the oil still clean on the stick? Soot supposed to be much smaller than 15 micron. Is it the better filter? Oil not doing its job cleaning? Filter restricting flow? Do I have an issue or concern???

Thanks in advance!
James

Wow that's interesting! I'm on my second consecutive oci with the same oil and I too, noticed a burning oil smell right after the oil went in (both times). Some may be saying "well duh", you probably spilled some oil on the engine, but that wasn't the case for me. I was concerned that I had a leak somewhere and crawled all over trying to figure it out. I only smelled it the first day but I quickly drove 600 miles that same day. I think it'll soon go away in yours, too.

My oil stays very clean in appearance for 8k-10k miles but it's also a modern clean burning diesel. It may be that the Kendall is very slow to react to the heat. Not all oils react the same when exposed to the heat. I would also guess that your engine is in good shape inside. If your engine drains good, there shouldn't be much black oil to mix in, either.

Have you had this truck awhile and quite familiar with it's history? You say four days with the new oil, but how many miles does that equate to? I'm certain you have no troubles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info dustyroads! I have owned the truck for about 4 years. It just rolled 109,000 Miles on the ODO. I would say I have put 150 miles on the truck since OC. All in town, local trips. It is my daily driver and unfortunately has allot of short in town driving trips. So I change my oil more frequently than most. The previous owner had all, and I mean all required service to the truck done at the dealership. The only modifications I have done to the truck is replace the stock muffler with a Donaldson 40". I do pull my boat with it and make it a point to get it up to temp and ride the pedal a little hard to help keep her clean.

I should also mention, that on this oil change I could not let the oil drain as long as I usually do. My drain disposal pan was leaking and had to seal her up sooner with less of a drain than usual. So I think that more older "black" oil was left than normal. Also, the lie-o-meter oil pressure gauge is reading perfect.

When I did the oil change, the oil seemed a little thinner/ runnier than usual. Just want to take care of the ole girl the best I can. I do lots of research/ reading here and other sites to learn all I can. Thus the change in oil filters. Just trying to cover my bases. I have ordered a set of oil analysis kits from Blackstone. So I think I will send a little off as soon as they come in and send in another at next OCI to check things out.

Thanks again,
James

Last edited:
Yeah, you probably haven't gotten the "stink" burned out of it yet. My truck is rarely under 77k lbs so it gets hot quick.

It makes me feel better knowing it wasn't just me smelling the oil burning smell. I was quite worried even the second time.

Yea, well my "little" girl can't pull 77k behind her.
laugh.gif
It will get up to temp pretty quick when the lil turbo spools up. The truck in your sig is my trucks super big brother. Guess I will have to pull the boat somewhere and burn the stink out of this stuff. Glad you are seeing good results out of this oil. Makes me feel better about my decision. Thanks for the input.

The only way that you could be getting an oil smell is that oil is leaking onto something that gets hot.
It isn't the oil.
Check carefully for leaks.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The only way that you could be getting an oil smell is that oil is leaking onto something that gets hot.
It isn't the oil.
Check carefully for leaks.

I'm not there to inspect his truck, but I'm sure he checked. I am telling ya'll with 100% certainty, this oil exudes a distinctive burning oil smell for awhile.

It's different than say any ol' used oil burning smell, burning oil is the best way to describe it but it has it's own "fragrance" (LOL). I have experienced it twice this spring. It not only smelled while warming up, getting ready to roll, but it made me stop on the side of the interstate because I was freaking out wondering what was leaking. It was nerve wracking to say the least. It will go away.

The OP is not crazy.

Yep. What Dustyroads said. Not a true burning oil smell. Just a "stink" or "fragrance" as Dustyroads described. Started as soon as I started the truck. Not hot enough to burn oil even if there was a leak. But my truck is dry as a bone. No signs of leaks at all. Just relieved my nose was going bad. Glad to hear the stink goes away tho! Hope the oil performs better than it smells!

Last edited:
Yep. What Dustyroads said. Not a true burning oil smell. Just a "stink" or "frangeance" as Dustyroads described. Started as soon as I started the truck. Not hot enough to burn oil even if there was a leak. But my truck is dry as a bone. No signs of leaks at all. Just relieved my nose was going bad. Glad to hear the stink goes away tho! Hope the oil performs better than it smells!

The smell is most likely coming from your CCV. Some oils stink more than others, nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
The smell is most likely coming from your CCV. Some oils stink more than others, nothing to worry about.

True, but even on my closed CCV where there's no tube releasing crankcase vapors the odor is very strong. It (Kendall) smells strong enough to make you think there's a major oil leak.

Admittedly, it fooled me twice this year and once last summer. This thread made me realize that I was just smelling the Kendall. Honestly, I didn't put the Kendall and burning oil odor together, although it is rather distinctive.

I've personally never experienced this before, that I can recall.

Originally Posted By: jrmason

Which is why you always heard the term "Ro-smella"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back