toyota 90915-yzzf2 cut open unknown miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off a neighbors new/used car, 2000ish corolla? 175k on engine, unknown miles on filter.
IMAG0662.jpg

soft adbv
IMAG0664.jpg

Dirty bypass valve
IMAG0663.jpg

Dirt in can
IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

Media was very brittle compared to my Fram ultra I cut open last week.
Lots of dirt in media...
IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

While not pretty inside I would have to say this filter did a darn good job.
IMAG0667.jpg

I told my neighbor to check the air filter ASAP
There was also about an 1/8 inch of gunk caked under the oil fill cap

Last edited:
Wow.

+1 on checking the AF; I would also check for downstream cracks in the intake if the AF looks snug.

A UOA would have been interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Chunky monkey. Decent oil filter......With a very tough job! I wonder if that is from 50k miles, or if the intake is essentially running open?

Or.....Some other unknown contamination?

That's nasty, looks like carbon-and a LOT of it! I would run 1K OCIs, preferably with an HDEO (10W30 like T5 would be good), & keep changing it until it cleans it up.

what air filter has to do with this? this looks like carbon/sludge from running too long OCI. this engine is hard on oil under the normal circumstances, and this is clearly a neglect.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
It seems that you had a hard time removing the oil filter as it is all whacked up.

I didn't take it off.
I saw my neighbor working at it for about 20 mins then he came over with a strap wrench in his hand and asked if I had anything that I think would work.

I handed him my craftsman universal oil filter wrench, he got it off in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Of course its going to look bad compared to your Fram Ultra, its regular paper media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Stewie
It seems that you had a hard time removing the oil filter as it is all whacked up.

I didn't take it off.
I saw my neighbor working at it for about 20 mins then he came over with a strap wrench in his hand and asked if I had anything that I think would work.

I handed him my craftsman universal oil filter wrench, he got it off in about 30 seconds.

Nice I got a similar one, I hope that it will work on my OEM filter which is pretty similar to that one.

The wrench that looks like a cup works on Frams but just spins around the oem one.

New one:

8104028.jpg

Old one:

8031426.jpg

Last edited:
That 3-prong Craftsman is the best filter wrench on the planet.

It provides an even rotational force and the harder you turn the filter, the harder it grips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back