No more detailing for me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least for a while. My Achilles tendon ruptured during a workout the other day. Doc said it basically exploded and my lower calf is hamburger. One of the first things I worried about was keeping my 3 cars cleaned, detailed and protected ha ha ha! I can't walk or use my right leg now at all and wont be able to for a long time.

I've been a martial artist my entire life(since I was 5) and I'm in my late 30's now. I'm very flexible and limber and can do the splits no problem so I was very surprised this could happen to me.
I don't know what I'm going to do to wash my cars as they have never seen the inside of a automatic car wash and never will. I cant drive anyway so they will sit and wait in the garage till I can tend to them.

Here I am at age 19. I could still kick like this as of 2 days ago. Not sure after this injury if I will ever be able to kick like this again:

I get by with a little help from my friends...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
smile.gif

I'm a perfectionist and I always knew that one day I may not be able to maintain my stuff up to my normal standard. Not sure my friends could help me with out me pointing out their short comings. I'll have to learn to be gracious for any help and not nit pick or sweat the small stuff.

Coincidentally my friend insisted she wash my truck today. First wash since May of 2007 went I bought it.

I guess the streaks of black mold on the hood bothered her more than it bothered me.

Hope you get well soon; how does this impact your primary job?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
smile.gif

I'm a perfectionist and I always knew that one day I may not be able to maintain my stuff up to my normal standard. Not sure my friends could help me with out me pointing out their short comings. I'll have to learn to be gracious for any help and not nit pick or sweat the small stuff.

Lol. I think it went over his head, Silverbullet......

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Coincidentally my friend insisted she wash my truck today. First wash since May of 2007 went I bought it.

I guess the streaks of black mold on the hood bothered her more than it bothered me.

Hope you get well soon; how does this impact your primary job?

Yes it does. I work for big corporate America and they have a policy that you get 12 weeks to recover from what ever ails you or you lose your job and you are replaced. my job requires me to walk on concrete for long hours. If I cant return with in 12 weeks I'll be in serious trouble. I'll give it my all to get back by week 12.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
smile.gif

Lol. I think it went over his head, Silverbullet......

It did but I'm not very quick....LOL

Wait til your old crunchy & tired. I just for the 1st time had a place do a wash, hand wax etc. and am very happy with the service they did making it to easy for me to do it again. I couldn't pull myself to drive into one of those drive in wash tunnels so choose another place where they employ a bunch doing service by hand, service from basic to detailing of several package levels.
Although I'm not dead yet so I'll continue doing most of what I can do myself, but when the lower back goes and I want some car cleaning, I have a place I'll use again.
I more enjoy fishing, motorcycle riding or something other than cleaning anyway.
Get better and get back into it at your age.

Last edited:
I took my car to an automatic car wash this morning. The car has never been hand washed. It's fine. There are many more important things in life than paint swirls.

Get well soon.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I took my car to an automatic car wash this morning. The car has never been hand washed. It's fine. There are many more important things in life than paint swirls.

Get well soon.

LIES 0.0 !!!!

My Achilles tendon ruptured during a workout the other day.

I'm surprised that's all you ever ruptured.

Hi, get better soon !

In the meantime, just get your car cleaned and waxed by hand to protect the paint. I'm sure you'll find someone who'll accept doing so. The detailing can wait you getting better.

...I'm in my late 30's now.

Getting old sucks.

Sorry this happened to you, I wish you a speedy recovery and that it goes better than you have planned.

I assume surgery and then physical therapy? I know nothing of this type of injury.

I usually tell people that they get out of physical therapy what they put into it. With your martial arts background, you already have the discipline to do well with it.

I'm in my early 40's - I've got four "unhappy" (my term) disks in my back - degenerative disk disease, arthritis, blah blah blah.
wink.gif
Physical therapy did wonders and I put a lot of effort into it, but they still remind me almost daily that I'm not 25 anymore. My goal is to put off surgery as long as I can. Preferably until after I'm dead.
wink.gif

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: BRZED
My Achilles tendon ruptured during a workout the other day.

I'm surprised that's all you ever ruptured.

You got that right! Like extreme scrotum displacement!

Sorry about the rupture. I've known of a number of these over the years and they can happen just doing 'normal' stuff to most anybody. I think it takes awhile to regain the 'tensil strength' of the tendon attachment and that's dependent on things like age, nutrition, blood flow, ect. See what you can do to heal faster without 'overdoing'-and good luck.

I feel badly for you too. I don't mean to make light of your condition. Life would be over for me if I imitated that kick!

I injured my Achilles many years ago. I was laid up for two months. After some rehab I never had another problem with it. It was the other injuries in my life that have slowed me down.

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm
I feel badly for you too. I don't mean to make light of your condition. Life would be over for me if I imitated that kick!

Ha ha! Everyone tells me that when they see me and the other guys do the flashy kicks and other stuff. "nuts".....that hurts LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
did it rupture with no warning/predisposing factors?
was there any trauma, gout, antibiotics, steroids, etc?

are you getting surgery?

I'm getting reconstructive surgery on Tuesday when the swelling goes down. No antibiotics, steroids or anything else. I did have bursitis in this tendon for a couple years and the Doc said to just stretch and message it. It never got better but was not really that painful. Just a little sore till it failed the other day. Surgeon said without exception, people who have their Achilles rupture have soreness and pain before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back