Measuring cup for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just fill an empty quart oil jug from the 5 qt jug and fill the rest in the Camry...and use the extra quart to start topping it off 3-5k miles down the road (not so much for lubing as for noise...the engine seeeeeems quieter topped off).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How many gallons of water does it take to raise the level in your swimming pool one inch?

How many quarts does it take to raise the level by one inch in your bathroom sink, which is much closer to a car's sump than an average swimming pool?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Don't bottles have measurements on the side?

I was going to say the same thing. I know Mobil 1 EP has the measurement on the side. Well atleast it did when I changed the oil in my car back in 2010.

Originally Posted By: mike7139

I was going to say the same thing. I know Mobil 1 EP has the measurement on the side. Well atleast it did when I changed the oil in my car back in 2010.

Yeah, the bottle I have has a measurement on the side, but it is tough to see what is left while you are pouring. Thanks for the ideas guys. If I find a suitable measuring cup/pitcher at a decent price some time I will likely grab it. Otherwise, I will save my old jug and pour transfer some into it until I have the right amount in the other.

Originally Posted By: HK45
Originally Posted By: mike7139

Yeah, the bottle I have has a measurement on the side, but it is tough to see what is left while you are pouring. Thanks for the ideas guys. If I find a suitable measuring cup/pitcher at a decent price some time I will likely grab it. Otherwise, I will save my old jug and pour transfer some into it until I have the right amount in the other.

You're making it far more difficult than it needs to be. A very slight overfill or underfill won't make the slightest iota of difference. Just use the marks on the side of the jug and spend the time you save finding something worthwhile to worry about.

Every 5 quart jug I have seen has the measurements for Liter and Quarts right on the jug.

My toyota takes something like 4.25 quarts, so I pour the leftover into another clean bottle, and save for a free oil change every few years.

Places like Peavey Mart, and even a lot of parts stores (i.e. Partsource) will have exactly what you need. I have a couple of them, myself, with graduations down the side, in Imperial, US, and metric.

After doing the first oil change on my new car last month I was mulling over the same thing. (it uses 3.5qt compared to a whole 5qt jug on my old car) There's all sorts of stuff on amazon, none of them had really great reviews. Then I thought just get a big kitchen measuring cup. But then I remembered I would have to clean it and store it until next year.

Then DUH, just use the 5qt jug that still has 1.5qt in it. Buy another jug, fill the first one back up to 3.5qt and then dump it all in. Throw it away (in the recycle bin), and then repeat next year with the new jug. No extra junk to keep around and nothing extra to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back