Experimental low hths Rotella video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see him start with the other oils. then go to that one.

The math is interesting

for example their engine had 644000 miles

at 3/gal for diesel if the truck got 6.25mpg on normal 15w40
and 6.5mpg on this 10w30 low hths
that would have been 3963 gallons of diesel saved over those 644000 miles
or aprox 12000$

of course .25mpg is a large increase of 4%

Last edited:
What I personally take from the video is that all the hand ringing that some folks do over the lower HTHS of energy conserving oils is much a do over nothing. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'd like to see him start with the other oils. then go to that one.

The math is interesting

for example their engine had 644000 miles

at 3/gal for diesel if the truck got 6.25mpg on normal 15w40
and 6.5mpg on this 10w30 low hths
that would have been 3963 gallons of diesel saved over those 644000 miles
or aprox 12000$

of course .25mpg is a large increase of 4%

Here is the SAE cut of the same experiment with a little more detail. They show the parts of the other engines, but he doesn't go into the same detailed explaination.

https://youtu.be/hWlRjvVNEIw

Originally Posted By: Garak
Those are very informative links. Thanks, Doug!

I agree. They were very interesting. Thanks!

From what I'm reading, PC-11A oils will be backwards compatible(?), which is of much importance to me, as an Owner-Operator.

PC-11B oils will be for all diesel engines manufactured 2017 and onward.

The engine in my truck specifies 15W40, as per warranty, so am I to believe the PC-11A 15W40 variant will not harm my older engine?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the additional info, Doug. I really appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

I was concerned these new formulations might not offer as good as protection for my truck's engine, which is a factory remanufactured 1998 Detroit Series 60, -until I read the links you provided. Thanks again.

As far as switching over to a 5W40 for me remains to be seen. I know there is a real long term benefit to semi-synthetics and full synthetics, but at this early time in my Single Truck business, as a cost measure, and to keep within my engine's warranty, my plan is to use Mobil Delvac 1300 conventional 15W40 and go with 15,000 mile OCIs and UOAs.

I certainly won't rule them out in the future, though.

Best Regards, -Dak

Originally Posted By: Dak27
Thanks for the additional info, Doug. I really appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

I was concerned these new formulations might not offer as good as protection for my truck's engine, which is a factory remanufactured 1998 Detroit Series 60, -until I read the links you provided. Thanks again.

As far as switching over to a 5W40 for me remains to be seen. I know there is a real long term benefit to semi-synthetics and full synthetics, but at this early time in my Single Truck business, as a cost measure, and to keep within my engine's warranty, my plan is to use Mobil Delvac 1300 conventional 15W40 and go with 15,000 mile OCIs and UOAs.

I certainly won't rule them out in the future, though.

Best Regards, -Dak

Back when CJ-4 oil came along, it didn't look as impressive as CI-4+ (on paper) but the oil companies all said that it would outperform the older formulations in protection and still protect the exhaust emission systems. It sure seems to have been the case.

Based on that, Volvo has recently (earlier this year) bumped up their OCI limits by 10K miles on newer trucks. They have also found that as the exhaust filters come in for cleaning, they are in pretty good shape and extended the cleaning cycle out to 400K miles (up from 250K).

Based on the last several years of success running CJ-4, I'm not afraid of what's coming in the HDEO market.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
dustyroads - I'm not concerned either when these lubricants are used as prescribed

Currently, I'm using Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 !

Hi Mr. Hillary, I recently put Delvac Elite 10W30 in my Volvo. I know...so what? My engine operates at 245F (118C) oil temps and with Volvo's XE13 package, typical engine rpm while cruising is 1,050 to 1,150. My concern was the combination of high oil temps and low rpm in a high torque engine, that maybe a XW-30 was a bad idea, but I'm getting down the road just fine.

You mentioned Delvac 1 5W-30; that oil is on the shelves here, too. It's certainly intriguing but I'm not yet mentally prepared to extend my OCI's to the extent that I could recoup the extra cost (even with the possible fuel savings).

Are you getting an increase in fuel economy over whatever oil you used previously? I'm just a one truck operator so I don't think I could find enough benefit in a high priced synthetic but I understand the benefits to a fleet.

If I ever buy a diesel powered car or pickup truck, I would absolutely purchase the Delvac 1.

What was the shelf price for Delvac 1 LE in your neck of the woods? Here, it's roughly $25 a jug, which is ridiculously cheap by Canadian standards.

Hey, hey, hey Garak...we've been through this before! Don't be rubbing those prices in our faces down here!
grin.gif

I can only tell you that in TA and Petro truckstops, it is $38.99 per U.S. gallon, but before you yell at me
eek.gif
, I have checked Chevron and Shell distributors around home and they are just as ridiculous in their prices. To be fair, I have not checked Mobil distributors for Delvac 1 prices, but I believe their prices would be similar.

TA/Petro truckstops are in effect, Mobil distributors. Not only do they "feature" Mobil products, they can sell Mobil products in drums, cases, etc. Including gear oil and grease.

Well, I do have to give you guys a hard time somehow. All this talk about Mobil 1 and the like for $4.50 a quart, well, I have to have my revenge somehow.

cheers3.gif

What was the shelf price for Delvac 1 LE in your neck of the woods? Here, it's roughly $25 a jug, which is ridiculously cheap by Canadian standards.

Hey Garak, I just did a quick online search for either of the Delvac 1 oils. Both the LE 5W30 & ESP 5W40 at several ExxonMobil distributors are priced similar to what I would pay at a truckstop.

The best I found was a four gallon case of ESP for $126.68 (31.67/gallon) but add shipping and it becomes higher than the truckstops. I found a 55 gallon drum of the LE for just over $1800 which is still close to $33/gallon. I also saw others over $40/gallon.

Oddly enough, the Delvac 1 prices at the truckstops are in line with regular distributors (at least within reason when all is considered). Both the ESP and LE are the same at the truckstops.

Just confirming you have bragging rights on Delvac prices and since I've seen your comments on PCMO prices, that should make your day...you're welcome!
laugh.gif

That best price you quoted isn't that bad, but the shipping doesn't help much, and that drum is pretty expensive. Our truck stops here are better than most gas stations, but they're still a little high.
wink.gif
I used to buy a fair bit of Delvac 1300 15w-40 at the truck stops, just for the sake of convenience. ESP is slightly more money than LE, which is odd, since the latter is the newer product.

When I can get the Delvac 1 ESP for under $30 a jug any day of the week, versus $50 for TDT (or other Mobil 1 flavours at Walmart), people know one good reason why I use HDEO from the distributor!

Last edited:
Nice seeing the tear down. IT would be great to see the UOA of these three along with the tear down. I assure you they where doing UOA all along. The weight of the bearings of all three before and after would likewise be nice too see. I am sure they have the data! I do not expect to ever see it but it would be nice to see.

Now if they would build a 5W30 or 0W30 with that same sort of formula. I am sure the VII's and additive package are not like any off the shelf Walmart Available 0W30/5W30 or 10W30. I do not even care what base stock is used just the results.

GII+ and GIII with killer VII's and additive package is just fine for me. If they can bring it to market at a good price point that is even better. I do not need Ester or PAO base stock to go 6-9 months between OCI's in my 4 door daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back