Popular Mechanics collection...grab a coffee!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merkava should be happy. I see a note that 10w-30 is a recommended viscosity for most cars and 20W-50 for higher mileage.

He can kick back in the chaise lounge, with the polyester suit and wide tie and party like its 1979.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Merkava should be happy. I see a note that 10w-30 is a recommended viscosity for most cars and 20W-50 for higher mileage.

He can kick back in the chaise lounge, with the polyester suit and wide tie and party like its 1979.

Iv used 20w50 for years on my old Volvo. It was at 289k when I scrapped it. Leaking oil pretty bad and the engine was worn, but that's probably due to it being the vehicle for all three of my sons.. Rarely are kids easy on cars let alone their first cars. But it help up will.

In the 8 years and 170k miles we put on it I only had to replace a starter and the MAF sensor.

I ran 20W50 (mostly Castrol GTX) in all kinds of stuff back in the early to mid '80s, 440 Dodge motorhome (3 MPG!), inline 6 Chevys, Fords, & Chryslers, small bloch Chevys & Fords, never hurt anything-as long as you could get it started!

Love those old popular mechanics.
Always great artwork on the Cover.

Can't remember the name of the bald headed guy that did the car road test reports but he was very good.

Last edited:
Tom McCahill perhaps? I think from a young lad's perspective they were all bald.

Yes, I have a stack of PMs I'm reading in spare moments.

In the car owner's satisfaction surveys, one of the most amazing defects reported was that the car's name on the front grill was misspelt!

Uncle Tom McCahill indeed. Legendary for his tortured similes, and colourful turns of phrase. There's an entertaining Wiki article about him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCahill

I have various old battered PMs at home, and remember being confused by his description of a (new) '69 Plymouth handling 'like an eel caught in a vise'. He always liked Chrysler's torsion-bar suspension, so I presume it was good to handle like an eel caught in a vise.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Uncle Tom McCahill indeed. Legendary for his tortured similes, and colourful turns of phrase. There's an entertaining Wiki article about him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCahill

I have various old battered PMs at home, and remember being confused by his description of a (new) '69 Plymouth handling 'like an eel caught in a vise'. He always liked Chrysler's torsion-bar suspension, so I presume it was good to handle like an eel caught in a vise.

Oops! Just re-read the Wiki article after several years. Uncle Tom was in Mechanix Illustrated, not Popular Science.

I remember PS most for its Gus & The Model Garage stories. The illustrations by Ray Quigley were outstanding.

Yes, that was my favorite section along with the debates between Smokey Yunick and Jan Norbye, like this one:

google:

smokey yunick jan norbye disk brakes debate

I'm peering at the September 1959 issue's article about "Which Foreign Car Is Best for You?" They mention various makes we haven't seen here in some years, like Simca, Hillman, and Morris; and they mention something called "DKW," a German import with rear-hinged doors.

No mention of Mercedes; aside from the famous 300SL and 4-cylinder 190SL, which would have been luxury purchases, MB wasn't bringing their sedan line over here yet, or they were only being sold in the largest markets (?).

SO much information in each issue.
You sure got value for your subscription in those days.

The Oct. 1962 issue contains ads for things like Dymo raised-letter labels and cold packs; training for jobs to earn $5.00 or $8.00/hour (when the minimum wage, if companies observed it at all, was, what, $1.50/hour?).

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Yes, that was my favorite section along with the debates between Smokey Yunick and Jan Norbye, like this one:

google:

I have that issue somewhere. C. 1966?

IIRC, Smokey liked drums (people were familiar with them, and the shoes were closer to the edges of the wheels giving a mechanical advantage), and the technical editor liked disks for all of the reasons we're all familiar with.

google:

IIRC, Smokey liked drums (people were familiar with them, and the shoes were closer to the edges of the wheels giving a mechanical advantage), and the technical editor liked disks for all of the reasons we're all familiar with.

I'm surprised the Disc Drum issue was still under debate in 66.

Heck, the first car I owned had front discs, and that was a 1960

Originally Posted By: expat

google:

Heck, the first car I owned had front discs, and that was a 1960

Expat, what kind of car was that? Disks were quite rare here for a long time.

I was quite ignorant about all things mechanical when I started driving. I 'fessed up about some of the dumb things I did in a thread on mechanical aptitude a few weeks ago.

So having said that, I actually don't know for sure which my first disk brake-equipped car was.

Let's say not the '63 Biscayne, possibly the '68 Vauxhall Viva, not the '62 Chevy II, maybe the '70 Corolla, and certainly the '71 Corolla.

Did not actually do the brakes on any of these cars. Learned to do drums on my '68 Impala, and later did front discs for the first time on my friend's '74 Impala.

Both of my present vehicles have disks all around, although my son's car (a poverty-spec '01 Protege) still has rear drums.

And Smokey, I sure prefer to work on disks!

My first car (the one with front Disc brakes) was a Triumph Herald, however disc brakes had been used by Citroën, Jaguar, Austin Healey and Triumph since the mid 50's.

I can't imagine why someone would prefer Drums, I used to hate having to replace shoes on drum brakes, and having to adjust them (or deal with complex self adjusters)

21.gif
I never seen those, maybe im not that old
smile.gif

I had a 66 Dodge Dart that had front disc brakes. They were a special order item. A 72 For Galaxie had front disc brakes. A 92 Civic EX had disc brakes at all four wheels. i personally won't buy a vehicle with rear drum brakes.

Originally Posted By: expat

Well, I suppose it sells magazines, and the Yunick/Norbye debate is not exactly technically-rigorous.

My dad ordered a brand new Herald in 1960 when we finished our 2 year stay in England and moved to Ottawa. I remember it arriving as a five-year old and then a few months later he had an accident on an icy road and I never saw the car again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back