Wonderful Toyota battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope folks had a Happy Easter and a Happy Passover :) Been a while since I had any Toyota probs, but the excellent Panasonic battery found in my 2.4-liter, inline-4 cyclinder, 2006 Camry (made in Japan) is now leaking blue corrosive gunk by the negative terminal (the postivie terminal is always clean, meaning it's probably not an alternator problem--just a simple leak).

I'm really happy with the Panasonic battery from Toyota's factory since it lasted over 9 years without a leak or problem. It only started leaking recently, but I'm getting tired of cleaning the gunk so I think if the negative terminal leaks again and corrodes the metal contacts, I will buy a new battery. Yesterday after cleaning the terminal, I applied vaseline for the first time onto the negative-side metal surfaces of the battery, but if the vaseline doesn't help and the blue gunk returns, I'll just buy a new battery.

The best warranty I've found so far is for the Duralast Gold 24F-DLG at AutoZone: 5 years warranty (first 3 years full replacement; last 2 years prorated). I think O'Reilly used to have the same warranty on their house brand battery called Super Start, but the clerk over the phone said their new warranty is now just 3 years but they probably will go back to the 5-year warranty in future, he said.

So I guess I'll go with AutoZone's better warranty. The Duralast Gold 24F-DLG offers 750 CCA and 130-minute reserve. IIRC the price is about $110. My main criterion is not cold craking amps, but long battery life, so hopefully the new battery will last another 9 years, even if the cost approaches $150 to $200. Trouble-free convenience is worth it. Is the Optima Red Top a good contender?

I called Fusz Toyota. He said for the 2006 Camry they will install a new Interstate battery for $150, but it has only a 2-year warranty. They also install Tru-Start batteries.

By the way, I will consider an AGM battery if AGM really will increase lifespan.

Any ideas for a long-life battery that might reach over 9 years without leaking and have a 5-year or longer warranty? Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
I hope folks had a Happy Easter and a Happy Passover :)

and I wish people a merry christmas??????

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
I hope folks had a Happy Easter and a Happy Passover :)

and I wish people a merry christmas??????

Well, I usually say "Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah," but sometimes I'll just say "Happy Holidays."

Last edited:
the battery in my 2011 MKZ and also in my former 2010 SHO, (Motorcraft) both died soon after the cars were one year old. Both replaced under Ford/Lincoln warranty. No longer have the SHO, but the (replacment) battery in the MKZ still doing good.

The OEM Panasonic in my 2013 Avalon, now with 25 months and 28,000 miles, still doing great.

I wonder if Panasonic batteries are sold either in the aftermarket or from Toyota dealers?

The OEM Toyota battery in my Scion lasted 7 years (massive amounts of corrosion around the terminal), which was just over 100,000 miles. I ended up replacing it with a Duralast Gold, also. I've been using Duralast golds since I got my first car back in high school and I've been very happy with them.

AAP 50$ off 100$ coupon get the gold or silver.

they are good batteries and an excellent value.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Does anyone know if the Advance Auto batteries are American made?

The one we just put in my girlfriend's Civic was. They're made by Johnson Controls, just like the Duralast batteries.

If your battery has the slightest hint of corrosion, or looks like a blob of grease or does not look shiny and new the day it dies then you're not using Pledge Furniture Polish.

The battery in my 4Runner listed below had the OEM battery last 11 years and I think the battery it that old Honda daily driver is about 14 years old and it looks like a shiny brand new battery and is still working just fine.

Most people laugh at the idea of using Pledge but it works. You just have to pony up a few bucks and take a chance.

The battery that came stock in my Tacoma lasted 9 years, 9 months.

The best deal I can find on batteries is Interstates from Costco. It would be about $75 for one for your Camry. I don't worry so much about battery warranties, since I get them to last well beyond them, anyway.

The OEM Panasonic from the xB in my sig is STILL alive at 10 years 3 months old, in my bro's old beater '87 Tercel. That old crate starts on the first or 2nd compression stroke, every time, so even though it tests a little weak (around 300 CCA or so), it's still strong enough.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If your battery has the slightest hint of corrosion, or looks like a blob of grease or does not look shiny and new the day it dies then you're not using Pledge Furniture Polish.

The battery in my 4Runner listed below had the OEM battery last 11 years and I think the battery it that old Honda daily driver is about 14 years old and it looks like a shiny brand new battery and is still working just fine.

Most people laugh at the idea of using Pledge but it works. You just have to pony up a few bucks and take a chance.

Every time when someone posted anything about battery you mentioned Pledge Furniture Polish.

You're very consistence about your experience with Pledge on battery. I never thought about it but I will give it a try, since my wife has few bottles and stealing 1 from hers will not make her notice.

Originally Posted By: Rand
AAP 50$ off 100$ coupon get the gold or silver.

they are good batteries and an excellent value.

In total agreement.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Every time when someone posted anything about battery you mentioned Pledge Furniture Polish.

You're very consistence about your experience with Pledge on battery. I never thought about it but I will give it a try, since my wife has few bottles and stealing 1 from hers will not make her notice.

Let us know what you think. I just think it's shame that more people don't use it. Maybe it's because there's no advertising telling them it's a good idea which means it's not worth considering.

What does the can of Pledge do?

Well.. aside from explode if you short the can out on top of the battery.

I'm kidding.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Does anyone know if the Advance Auto batteries are American made?

The one we just put in my girlfriend's Civic was. They're made by Johnson Controls, just like the Duralast batteries.

Walmart's EverStart MAXX-24F is also made by Johnson Controls, like the Advance Auto and the AutoZone Duralast batteries. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the Duralast and EverStart batteries are the same battery; both deliver 750 CCA and both carry a 5-year warranty (last 2 years prorated). At $110, the Walmart EverStart is $9 cheaper than AutoZone's Duralast Gold.

I got to hand it to AutoZone's web site though, because they allow for the posting of even scathing reviews by purchasers. This Duralast Gold 24F-DLG gets only 2 stars from 12 reviews, some saying it lasts less than 3 years, and even less than a year:

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starti...832327_27122_0/

It's funny though because the apparent Walmart version of this Johnson Controls battery gets a terrific ranking at ConsumerReports.org; it's Consumer Report's topped ranked battery in the Group 24 and 24F category. So I don't know what to believe. Sure would like to get the Panasonic again though--heh.

By the way, Consumer Reports lists the model number as EverStart MAXX-24FN while Walmart's web site drops the "N" at the end ("N" stands for North), so I don't know if they're the same battery or not. Apparently there's a version of this battery with "S" at the end too for South, which is a different EverStart battery than the "N," but Walmart's web site shows neither an "S" or "N" at the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back