2016 Toyota Tacoma Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like we will be going on a wild ride with automobile models and features as the manufacturers work to comply with the latest CAFE regulations.

The photo is indeed the gasoline engine. That's just a site hoping to attract google traffic with mention of diesel.

I don't know if I'd use the term "article" to describe that mass of words jumbled together. My favorite line:

"This vehicle has a towing payload of up to 4 tons as well as a tow rating of an impressive 65000 pounds."

Does anyone else think that many folks in the US may be underwhelmed with the reality of a small Diesel truck? I've driven some small Diesel trucks, and think folks in the US may be drawing their expectations from the massively powerful and refined Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins engines in the current HD light trucks? Those engines are way more powerful than the typical 2500 series platform is capable. That is not really the case with the upcoming small Diesels, IMO.

With the RAM/VM diesel,the Colorado diesel,and the coming soon Nissan Titan Cummins diesel,eventually you will see everybody scrambling to put diesels in their smaller models....namely GM 1500,Ford F150,Nissan Frontier,and Toyota Tacoma/Tundra.

The main reason I'm interested is, as good a reputantion that the Tacoma has, the Toyota Hilux has a legendary reputation as being the toughest light truck made. The Hilux is diesel, but you can't get them here.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Does anyone else think that many folks in the US may be underwhelmed with the reality of a small Diesel truck? I've driven some small Diesel trucks, and think folks in the US may be drawing their expectations from the massively powerful and refined Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins engines in the current HD light trucks? Those engines are way more powerful than the typical 2500 series platform is capable. That is not really the case with the upcoming small Diesels, IMO.

Not every truck owner wants super high power, some might want the fuel economy of a small diesel coupled with some low speed grunt.

There was recently a post from a guy in Europe that is towing a horse trailer with a 1.6 liter TDI Nissan Qashqai.
I have driven that vehicle and would love such an engine in a small pick up.

Originally Posted By: theKman
I don't know if I'd use the term "article" to describe that mass of words jumbled together. My favorite line:

"This vehicle has a towing payload of up to 4 tons as well as a tow rating of an impressive 65000 pounds."

Sounds like someone had a Charlie Sheen weekend.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
The label above the picture says "Diesel engine" but that sure looks like Toyota's venerable 4.0 gas motor. I will believe it when I see it.....

And the other photos are of the Hilux (I`ve got one)

Originally Posted By: WANG

Diesel power similar to what is available in the Ford Transit van, the Dodge (Fiat) Ram and the MB Sprinter van would work fine in a pickup the size of a Tacoma. And.......I would tow my travel trailer with one. I bet it would improve the 11-12mpg I get with my Tacoma, towing, now.

Hilux diesels are great overseas but I wouldn't want one with US emissions on the motor.

Crude noisy little trucks. The problem is they have to sell them with all the emissions and [censored] at a to high price point to make them worth it. For $20kUS with a manual, 4wd, manual locks, and probably no AC or radio sure, but you won't sell many in this country. Not when I can buy a brand new Ford, Chevy, or Ram work truck for that and its way, way, way, way more refined and capable.

I don't have to drive along narrow pot hole filled roads like in the third world so the small foot print doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
Despite the fact that GM’s new midsize pickup trucks are about to get a diesel engine option, Toyota‘s all-new Tacoma will not.

Speaking during a live chat, Tacoma and Tundra chief engineer Mike Sweers was unequivocal. “We will not be offering a diesel engine,” he said. “We’ve looked at diesels, and diesel is a difficult topic right now because of the new Tier 3 emission regulations.”

Those Tier 3 regulations, set in place by the Environmental Protection Agency, are set to take effect in 2017, further reducing tailpipe emissions and, as a result, making diesel-powered light vehicles harder to pass, not to mention more expensive to build.

Sweers is aware of the obvious advantages of a diesel engine. “Diesel, from a fuel economy standpoint, is about a 30 percent improvement right out of the box,” he said.

However, that’s not enough to offset the negative aspects of diesel engines.

“The downside to diesel is the emissions has to be certified at the same level as a gas engine,” said Sweers. “So the way to do that is you have to put on an after-treatment system.” That system, he claims, would add as much as $3,000 to the cost of a vehicle.

“So if we consider that cost, versus the fuel economy improvement, and the fact that diesel is $1 more per gallon more than gasoline, is there a return on the investment?” asks Sweers rhetorically.

Even if the answer is yes, Sweers wouldn’t bet on diesel tech for the future, pointing to further emissions regulations taking effect in 2019 that could then shelve certain engines. “Can you make that diesel survive? Is it a two-year engine? Is it a four-year engine? That’s the question,” said Sweers. “It’s very difficult to show a return on that investment.”

Instead, Toyota will continue to focus on gasoline engine options for the Tacoma, with a 2.7-liter 4-cylinder as well as a new 3.5-liter V6.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/...f-engineer.html

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The photo is indeed the gasoline engine. That's just a site hoping to attract google traffic with mention of diesel.

X2. That website is some of the most shameless, useless click bait I have ever seen...about as bad as odometer.com. You can tell they worked hard on their logo though.
crackmeup2.gif

even if it does exist in the states, it would be inadequate, overpriced, overhyped and generally a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back