Is BMW Motorad really this stupid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They offer cruise control on the S1000 R and even the RR, but who is going to use cruise on those bikes? Much closer to being a sport tourer with hard bags, riser handle bars, and a center stand available as accessories, the K1300S does not have factory cruise control available. What a crock.

The K1300s is an older platform, and cruise was probably not stirred into the original mix.

Does the K1300s have a "Fly by wire" throttle? Is so, it would seem it would have been an easy addition.

What those guys said. It seems like a straight forward add-on if the bike already has throttle by wire. Cruise control is awesome , and I can see it being very useful on a sportbike. Prime example would be if one has to ride a couple hundred miles of slab to get to the good roads.

Cruise control on any motorcycle is a blessing when your right hand and wrist just can't go another inch further.

My left hand gets a break because I can remove it from the bar and shake it a bit to keep the blood flowing. I simply don't have that option with the right hand on my bike and it makes for some very uncomfortable rides that last over and hour.

I've had throttle locks on all my bikes and they are very inexpensive if the bike didn't come originally equipped with one.
I prefer a throttle lock to a cruise control. I can time my fill ups better since less fuel gets consumed.

Yes...

Plus they have grenading final drives, burning GS's and axel bosses shearing off of forks to deal with so they are preoccupied...
28.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Yes...

Plus they have grenading final drives, burning GS's and axel bosses shearing off of forks to deal with so they are preoccupied...
28.gif
27.gif

I miss the days of bullet proof Beemers myself. Seems a lot of the outsourcing has hit reliability and durability in recent years. Too bad it did not also have an effect on price.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Yes...

28.gif
27.gif

Not to mention cracking fuel tanks on the GS.
smile.gif

The throttle lock is a simple solution and is a blessing on long trips.

No need for cruise control if it's going to be complicated. Simple is good.

Though I have not used it myself, a strong enough cable tie is all you really need.
Once set, it's easy to operate and you can still close the throttle in a hurry should the need arise.
Video

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
They offer cruise control on the S1000 R and even the RR, but who is going to use cruise on those bikes? Much closer to being a sport tourer with hard bags, riser handle bars, and a center stand available as accessories, the K1300S does not have factory cruise control available. What a crock.

I took delivery of a loaded (Race package, DDC, Forged wheels, etc.) '15 S1000RR, a few months ago. The bike is pretty comfortable for a 6'2" guy, IMO. The cruise control and heated grips, have been nice to have on some rides I've done that start out on cool mornings, and then go on for several hundred miles. A throttle lock just is not the same, unless you're on a flat road, which is not the type of roads I like to ride.

The bike also does pretty well on twisty Mountain roads, and on the Roadracing track. It certainly turns with less effort compared to previous S1000RR models.

As for the K1300S, I agree, it should have cruise control.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
They offer cruise control on the S1000 R and even the RR, but who is going to use cruise on those bikes?

Kansas owners that's who... their roads are so flat and featureless all the riders know what
their bikes top speed is... but if see a corner they freeze up like a small animal...

My Multistrada has aftermarket cruise ctrl, which was just a software update to the ECU from Tuneboy. Dealership comped it to me for free ($250 value), they are pretty cool and one of the better regarded ones in the region. This was to make up for my bike being down for about a week in late 2013 due to a problem in the electronic suspension system that was hard to pinpoint. It uses the starter button on right grip, which is not convenient, but it works. It grabs current speed and holds it same as a car cruise control would, i.e. up and down hills and etc. Pretty handy from time to time. Kicks off when tapping either brake lever or the clutch.

I have some interest in the K1300S as a potential 2nd bike, and this is why I was commenting about the lack of cruise. I don't know enough about the K to say if it has ride-by-wire throttle, but likely not otherwise there would probably be some 3rd party to have come up with a software update to add the feature to an existing grip switch or button.

On my Multi, if you buy the full tuning map pkg from Tuneboy (about $600), you get a set of nudge buttons that mount to the left handlebar, but they also offer just the cruise only w/ no tuning for around $250.

My Multi is nice but the larger less twitchy yet still very quick characteristics of the K1300 appeal to me. And the K looks super sharp. I'm between 6'2" and 6'3", 220lb and the K is among the larger of the breed which I think the size of the bike needs to roughly match the size of the rider to look right, at least with respect to larger riders and the size of their bike.

If cruise is a "must have", maybe a low mileage used GT would be worth a look? I rode one when they were new, I guess it was in 2010, and it was a bit of a weapon. Clunky gearbox was the only minor negative. Fast, for what it was, and confidence inspiring handling. Although, having ridden a K1600GT since then...6 cylinders are nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back