Suzuki Vstrom vs. Kawasaki Versys

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I've been toying with buying another bike and have these two 650's in mind.
What are your thoughts between these two?

If memory serves me right, the Versys is slightly smaller/lighter/lower, so it's more approachable for shorter riders. The Vstrom stands fairly tall.

Both seem to be nice bikes.

For some reason, the Versys did not sell well here. There are multiple low mile versions with really attractive prices... yet they sit.

I think the Suzuki has the more lively engine. In certain years, the Suzuki makes more power and is more capable, by a significant amount.

The new models have evened out somewhat, but the Suz is still on top by almost 10HP in some tests.

mk.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
I've been toying with buying another bike and have these two 650's in mind.
What are your thoughts between these two?

You may be interested in this video comaparison at motorcycle.com that compares three midsize urbane adventurers. The Honda NC700x vs Kawasaki Versys 650 abs vs Suzuki V-Strom 650 abs.

I have one friend that owns and loves the Versys, another that owns and loves the Suzuki. I have 28,000 on the Honda and like it better, so my opinion is not much help!

Pick whichever bike fits you physically better.

Either one will feel slow after a while and you can soup them up with aftermarket parts to you hearts content.

I'm wondering which engine/bike is easier to do D-I-Y maintenance on? Thanks for the replies.

The V-Strom has a higher engine oil capacity, while the Versys allows a longer OCI IIRC. Just thought someone on BITOG may be interested in that.
I'm biased towards Suzuki, since I own & enjoy one, so don't believe me, but I once sat on a V-Strom and the ergonomy seemed to be just perfect for me. Read: comfortable. I'm 184cm tall.

@Edit reason: spelling.

Last edited:
I bought a new DL1000 V-Strom in 2008. Great ergonomics, power, reliability but the 1000 is too heavy for anything more than dirt roads as far as off roading goes. I'm 6'4" tall and I could just barely flat foot the 1000. The 650 is much more nimble with a lower seat height and gets 60+ mpg. The airbox on my 1000 was a pain to access the air filter, but the rest of the DIY items were easy to do. The push pins in the fairing are guaranteed to break once they have been removed, but not a biggie. I also like the whine from the gear drive, but thats just me.

Are you looking at new or used? Versys more fun, and better in crosswinds I think. DL650 better 2-up, and it must be better on dirt roads.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm wondering which engine/bike is easier to do D-I-Y maintenance on?

One of the most PITA maintenance task is valve check and adjust. V-twin vs parallel twin. You do the math. Also the Versys has (or had, I don't know the current strom schedule) longer valve check intervals, but the checks themselves are much easier too.

The DL1000 requires you to move the radiator to change one of the two front cylinder sparkplugs. Don't know if the DL650 has that issue. I'd read this about the 1000, and I inspected one recently to verify it. Didn't check the 650. Don't even know if it has dual plug heads. If it doesn't I'm sure it's fine. If it does, you might not want to change the plugs that often...

I've put 56k miles on a 2nd gen Versys 650. I recently demoed the 2015 DL650XT (the tubeless wire wheel version) and 2015 DL1000.

I'm more interested in the new Versys than in the DL650. If a lot of dirt roads were on the agenda it would be DL650XT all the way.

I remember reading an article on the Suzi. The folks that were used to riding the bigger sport bikes just loved the Suzi because it loved being thrown into the twisties. It would always bring a great big grin!

Having owned several Kawasaki's and Suzuki's, and having many friends and family in the Motorcycle sales, parts, and repair industry, I'd say Suzuki has an edge when it comes to build quality, and reliability.

Can't speak for the Versys, but I purchased a used 2008 V-strom 650 six months ago and LOVE it. I have owned probably 30 motorcycles and ridden many more; this bike is definitely in the top 5! This bike was outfitted by prev. owner with Happy Trails panniers, Sargent seat, and a bottle opener on the fork, MadStad windshield bracket with Parabellum shield plus a bunch of other stuff. Added heated grips and lowered the bike since I am 5'5". One of the easiest bikes to jump on and ride, loves the twisties!

Other bikes owned for reference (Honda Interceptor, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Yamaha V-Star 1100, Harley Sportster 1200, Harley SuperGlide and others)

Took it on a 700 mile trip and it runs the Interstate fine at indicated 80mph (actual speed 73 per GPS). I was loaded down with camping gear at the time including stove, lantern, food for 3 days, chair, tent, fishing gear etc). One of the only negative comments would be that it doesn't like cross-winds or riding behind transfer trucks. My saddlebags are HUGE and slab-sided which don't help cross-wind situation, it's not as bad with bags removed.

It hits a real sweet-spot at the aforementioned 80 mph indicated - Quiet, tranquil air and just motors on.

Huge gas tank, good for 250 miles. Like many Japanese bikes the air filter is a royal pain to get to. Have to disconnect half of fairing, gas tank, raise tank (may as well remove it) etc. No dipstick for oil check, has a sight glass that needs a friend to check or a telescoping mirror.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: RatBikeRandy
Huge gas tank, good for 250 miles. Like many Japanese bikes the air filter is a royal pain to get to. Have to disconnect half of fairing, gas tank, raise tank (may as well remove it) etc. No dipstick for oil check, has a sight glass that needs a friend to check or a telescoping mirror.

Air filter is probably similar to Versys. On the Versys there are really 2 panels to remove on each side, but they don't need to be separated, so effectively you remove 1 panel each side, remove gas tank. Then airbox comes out (or if you're just cleaning the filter, remove it leaving airbox in place). After that sparkplugs are easy to remove. Looks like sparkplug change is easier on the Versys. Also if you're changing the plugs, chances are it's time to check/clean/replace air filter. Doing the plugs is barely any extra effort.

As far as the sight glass, maybe you're doing it wrong. I've never checked the oil level on a DL650, but the sight glass is in a perfectly normal location. I expect I'd do it like other bikes with centerstand: shut the bike off, put the bike on the centerstand, wait a few minutes, then lean or squat down and look.

For bikes like the Versys with only side stand (there is an aftermarket centerstand available), put bike on side stand, wait a few minutes, then squat down and pull the bike vertical to the balance point, then check level in window.

Yes but they don't come with center-stands from the factory. Can't lean over far enough to see the glass while sitting and holding bike upright. The little mechanic's mirror works great but so would a dipstick. My Yamaha V-Star is the same way although if I contort myself I can see the glass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back