anyone know how to make a good cyl piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lobe
Hi,

I can get MMO in Adelaide where i live. ive read that it is primarily naptha, with light machine oil, and wintergreen oil.

I cannot get AC Delco Upper Engine & Fuel Inj Cleaner X66P 88861803 here in Australia. I contacted them today and they said its the second enquiry they'd received today for it. They hope to stock it by the end of the year, after its gets past msds and labelling red tape etc
frown.gif

I've also read that Subaru do an Upper Engine Cleaner that can also be used as a piston soak, anybody have any experience of this ??

any comments or any more ideas of chemicals i can use to make my own anybody, chime in molacule if your readying
smile.gif

The top engine cleaners are usually mixtures of very thin oils and solvents with no AW additives so I would not use any of those.

I would try the Rislone Engine Treatment if you can get it as it contains cleaners and AW additives, and is about a 20 grade, so it should be able to get into rings and lands.

This piston soak is only for engines with suspected or verified piston rings that have been stuck by carbon deposits.

Remove plugs and add about two to three ounces per cylinder and let soak overnight.

Rotate crankshaft by hand slowly and periodically with a ratchet wrench and make sure all the oil has flowed past rings so you don't get hydrolock on startup.

Replace plugs and startup outside.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch Molakule,

I'll certainly try the Rislone.

Big thread on e46fanatics by mlody and then another one (CCV,OFHG,VCG changed - still losing 1 litre/quart ~400 miles)- Donal Connor on the soak, m54 engine so im familiar with soak method, etc. We'll jack our cars up as engine is inclined on these models.

I linked him into to this thread as he too is having problems getting suitable soaks in Ireland

Purchased rislone engine treatment, subaru upper engine cleaner, acrylic thinners.

Took plugs out of missus 03 2.0 golf which uses abit of oil n plugs have abit of crud on etc.

Soaked plugs overnight in all three, plus one mix of thinners & rislone.
Only one that really softened n removed carbon was the subaru engine cleaner (comes in am aerosol that foams abit as you spray it)

Not sure where this leaves me doing a piston soak on my bm 325i m54 engine?

I thought a rislone and thinners combo might be the trick to b thin enough to carry the rislone down the side of the rings without just running thru.

Advice please

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back