Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I'm probably soon enough going to try out REDLINE fuel system cleaner.

But can or is it worth buying a case of the stuff if it comes with less than ten or 12 bottles in a case???

I just read over a few really positive reviews on amazon so after the hype on here and then looking in to reviews on Amazon. Okay. I'll bite.

Where's the cheapest place to buy a bottle or three?

Thanks.

I'll change my sig then once I notice any difference in performance and mileage.

Are there any O'Reilly Auto parts near you? They carry them in the stores around here. That is unless you prefer to buy on Amazon.

What are you trying to fix? Seems like you're big into additives, so I'm sure you'll find something to like about Redline SI-1.

Redline isn't an every-fillup kinda additive, unless it's a maintenance dose, so buying a case at a time doesn't make much sense. I know, because I did just that, from Amazon. I was adding a maintenance dose of ~ 3oz each fillup and noticed no differences in my already clean-running cars, so after the 12-pack was gone I stopped using additives on a regular basis. It took forever to get rid of that whole case, even with two cars to add to.

I can't fully give up the additives, and usually pickup a couple of bottles of Techron when they're BOGO, which for me is every couple of OCI or three.

You're thinking SI-1?

I know of a local independent auto parts store that stocks a lot of Red Line products, and the 15 oz bottle of SI-1 is $8.99+tax. I'm kind of shocked how much I'm paying for it, since back in the late 90s they had it for maybe $3.59. Of course it's likely that it's changed over the years, but there's no way to know how much or why exactly the pricing has changed.

Of course back then I could do an oil change for less than $6 and I could premium unleaded in California for $1.50/gallon. Gone are the days when I could occasionally find a name brand motor oil for less than $1 a quart or maybe look for a Kragen rebate special.

My only additives are a bottle of Heet (red) once it really gets cold (February)
and half an ounce of Marine Sta-Bil (blue) every half a dozen fill-ups...

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Are there any O'Reilly Auto parts near you? They carry them in the stores around here. That is unless you prefer to buy on Amazon.

Yup, O'Reilly carries it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Redline isn't an every-fillup kinda additive, unless it's a maintenance dose, so buying a case at a time doesn't make much sense.

What he said is true. You only need one bottle every 40K miles driven.

IIRC, it's cheaper if you buy in quantity to buy directly from Red Line.
Why not just pop down to a parts store that stocks it and try a single bottle?
If you feel that you're getting results that make SI-1 worthwhile, you could then check into the cost of a larger order.
I bought a few bottles of this stuff a couple of years ago using O'Reilly's five dollar off coupons.
This is one of the class leaders in PEA content and does have a UCL, but there are other products that are close to it in PEA content.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
My only additives are a bottle of Heet (red) once it really gets cold (February)

I thought became obsolete, since gas is 10% ethanol, and heet is just ethanol, anyway.

What's so special about redline? A 10 oz bottle of gumout all in one treats 35 gallons, I get it, the name and it's more expensive and harder to find.

I order mine from Jegs and shows up on my front steps in two days pretty easy to me 3oz in tank every fill up E0 for Mazda DI

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Less than five minutes away. Just was asking where it would be the cheapest.

I rather buy locally than amazon anyhow. I also wouldn't order anything like this online either because yeah that would be irresponsible. B

And just so anyone knows my password for amazon was f'd after mentioning amazon on here. Consequenced ??

Thanks a lot whoever that was you little [censored].

Ok, I won't consider more than two for now.
I will get them in a few months then. For now the marine Stabil has been doing a great job. I use fuel additives because of just keeping the vehicles in tip top shape and running good.

19.5 in Tacoma still on highway.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

I thought became obsolete, since gas is 10% ethanol, and heet is just ethanol, anyway.

HEET uses methanol. Iso-HEET uses isopropanol. I haven't heard of any "water remover" that uses ethanol. However, ethanol (especially lots of it) does serve the same purpose, which is to disperse small amounts of water. Otherwise, the water will often pool at the lowest point, since it's heavier than gasoline. However, it has limits. My understanding is that methanol or isopropanol are more effective at dispersing water in gasoline than ethanol. If you pour a pint of water into a gallon of E10, it's going to noticeably separate like this:

IyLMk.png

Can someone explain why buying from amazon Is irresponsible (serious). Especially in context of all the other activities described in this forum or over in deals subforum, that doesn't get the irresponsible flag.

Irresponsible is like pouring your oil down the storm drain, not buying something from amazon

as far as hazards lithium batteries as found in a zillion electronic devices are more dangerous than redline and require shipping stickers while this doesn't

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Can someone explain why buying from amazon Is irresponsible (serious). Especially in context of all the other activities described in this forum or over in deals subforum, that doesn't get the irresponsible flag.

Irresponsible is like pouring your oil down the storm drain, not buying something from amazon

as far as hazards lithium batteries as found in a zillion electronic devices are more dangerous than redline and require shipping stickers while this doesn't

If buying from Amazon is irresponsible, then call me irresponsible. That's where my RL FI cleaner came from.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I know of a local independent auto parts store that stocks a lot of Red Line products, and the 15 oz bottle of SI-1 is $8.99+tax. I'm kind of shocked how much I'm paying for it, since back in the late 90s they had it for maybe $3.59. Of course it's likely that it's changed over the years, but there's no way to know how much or why exactly the pricing has changed.

I've got news for you, they are HANDING it to you, GRATIS, for THAT price!!
thumbsup2.gif

Pep Boyzz now gets $12.99 a bottle, and it is only a buck cheaper on; amazon, Summit racing, or Jegs (+ shipping on all but Jegs and amazon prime).
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

HEET uses methanol. Iso-HEET uses isopropanol. I haven't heard of any "water remover" that uses ethanol. However, ethanol (especially lots of it) does serve the same purpose, which is to disperse small amounts of water. Otherwise, the water will often pool at the lowest point, since it's heavier than gasoline. However, it has limits. My understanding is that methanol or isopropanol are more effective at dispersing water in gasoline than ethanol. If you pour a pint of water into a gallon of E10, it's going to noticeably separate like this:

IyLMk.png

Hands down the best picture to clearly see what people deny that ethanol is good for our gas. It's doing this kinda stuff slowly if left untreated!!

Thanks for this thread reply man!!

The irresponsible is not just buying something this locally. Not Amazon shopping.

Let's stay away from dissing Amazon because they are better in many ways for a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back