Excessive engine cranking when starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Honda Civic HX that cranks excessively when it starts. This happens intermittently, sometimes it starts right up. Other times it takes up to 7 seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Thank you!

How's the fuel pressure?

Try turning the key to on and waiting a second or two and seeing what happens, maybe the pump is weak or a check valve bleeding.

You may also have an injector leaking so that the engine/cylinder is flooding.

Fuel pump dying, leaky injectors or fuel pressure regulator allowing the fuel rail to lose pressure, cam or crank position sensor on the way out...

Pull the plugs, make sure gap is at spec. Air's dielectric strength is at its maximum in the cold, so a cold engine and plugs that are excessively gapped can be a bad combo.

Friend of mine has a 95 Accord that was doing that very same exact thing. He took it to a shop his family has been using since the 70s and they said it's the computer that controls the emissions.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Honda Civic HX that cranks excessively when it starts. This happens intermittently, sometimes it starts right up. Other times it takes up to 7 seconds.

Thank you!

Sounds like you have a main relay going out.. it controls your fuel pump.
Common issue.
Vid from Eric the car guy about it - http://tinyurl.com/kljn5ca

Thanks for the replies.

The battery is new and my fuel pressure is good also.

What do you mean by scan it? I don't have a check engine light or any codes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Fuel pump check valve defective, the fuel from engine leaking back to tank.

You can easily verify this. Cycle your key several times to the "run" position, then try starting it. If it starts very quickly, the check valve is one possibility. Leaky fuel injectors can do the same.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Sounds like you have a main relay going out.. it controls your fuel pump.
Common issue.
Vid from Eric the car guy about it - http://tinyurl.com/kljn5ca

If the relay is failing, you will not hear the pump prime when the key is first turned to "run" prior to starting.

With my older civic I had issues with the cap/rotor. I'm not sure which year they dropped the distributor but I do know the 2000 civics had cap/rotors.

Would cause my car not to start at random. Main relay is a very common problem and is what I originally thought my problem was...

Clean the air intake around the throttle plate and TPS with the correct cleaner made for that purpose. Also clean the MAF sensor with the correct cleaner as well.

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that it doesn't usually do it if the car has been sitting for awhile, only if I start it up within 30-45 minutes of stopping it does it have a hard time.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
the computer that controls the emissions.

Huh?

I have no idea either,as that's a new one on me as well.

That's fuel pump going by-by. I had that warm engine no start condition on a Honda
Accord of my father in law, and 3k miles later, had to got a new fp. It could be ig coils also. In a 95 Subaru was the fuel pump wires tat got oxidation (black wires) and didn't send enough power to the fp. Check harness and plug.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that it doesn't usually do it if the car has been sitting for awhile, only if I start it up within 30-45 minutes of stopping it does it have a hard time.

Thanks

Sometimes when the IAC fails or gets dirty, it makes hot starting more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back