Change oil before or after 1000 mile trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh

Nothing wrong with adding the remaining quart, but in practice it's pretty hard to drain out exactly 1 quart of oil from the sump (unless you have a Fumoto valve).

No it isn't. All that's needed is to slowly unscrew your drain plug until a slow drip exists. Underneath the drip is a measuring cup.

Stop at 32 ounces / one quart.

Another quicker way is to remove your filter and reinstall it, then do a shorter cycle drip from the drain plug. Most filters hold about a half-quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Danh

Nothing wrong with adding the remaining quart, but in practice it's pretty hard to drain out exactly 1 quart of oil from the sump (unless you have a Fumoto valve).

No it isn't. All that's needed is to slowly unscrew your drain plug until a slow drip exists. Underneath the drip is a measuring cup.

Stop at 32 ounces / one quart....."

You have a lot of time on your hands. (Not necessarily a bad thing, just not a luxury that everyone has.....)

Z

1000 miles is a long trip??? OP, if you're moving change it ahead of time so it's one less thing you need to do while getting settled. I would prefer to change it now and run the next batch for a longer OCI because long steady driving takes much less of a toll on the oil. Whatever you do won't change how long the engine lasts.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Ignoring the irony of you 2 doing nothing but wasting thread space...

Is there any reason to not dump in the quart of oil I have left from my last change and then drain out the same amount? I always buy the case of 6 because I need a little bit more than 5, so I always have an extra quart. I have no idea where the last 4 or 5 bottles went, but I know where one is. I really don't want to bring a potential oil bomb into a car with my belongings in the back with it.

1. Lookup the definition of irony again

2. It wasn't just '2'

3. Change your oil when you get back. A partial change before you go is ridiculous.

Why do you ask a question looking for advice, and then act like know-it-all snark master when people are looking for more info?

If you freaking know it all don't bother wasting our time.

2r5ticl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back